Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 10/17/18, 5:16 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Research & Writing Assignment:

Plywood sheathing has been used in the home building industry for over 30 years.It consists of a thin layer of veneer laid, perpendicular to each other then glued and pressed to make a very strong sheet product. Typically they are 4'x8' sheets with different grades for different applications.
OSB is a sheet good made of many small pieces of wood all glued togeather to form a sheet good that typically is used for exterior wall or roof sheathing. OSB can come in 4'x8',9'and special ordered up to the limit of the manufacturer.

Need a home inspection in Florida? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Florida certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 10/17/18, 7:56 PM
InterNACHI Member

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

When doing an inspection, one of the questions you need to answer is, is it sewer or septic? The inspection is a very limited visual inpection. Unless you offer sewer scope as an added service. I'm not sure I want to offer that.

Residential Plumbing Overview for Inspectors Course
Old 10/17/18, 7:59 PM
InterNACHI Member

Plumbing is a complex part of the house, there are many things to consider. The specific vents and sized plumbing for all the different components is truly amazing. The fact that you have a size diameter pipe with a limited distance to prevent siphonage is impressive. As for trap seals, I never knew the importance of them, until now.

Old 10/17/18, 8:54 PM

The plumbing under this kitchen sink is pretty good. The sink's tail piece and drain are 1 1/4" and not 1 1/2", the electrical receptacle for the dishwasher and disposal is not GFCI protected. There is a high "S' loop entering a 1 1/2" ABS. There is an air gap present and it appears higher than the rim of the dishwasher. The flexible water lines are braided steel. Shut off valves to both water lines are present. There is a lateral PVC pipe connected to the ABS via a slip connection and terminated into the disposal. No signs of water leakage were present and the sink drained acceptably.

Old 10/17/18, 9:04 PM

I have yet to see a gas line drip leg installed down stream from the gas shutoff valve to a gas forced air furnace. It obviously is the better way to install the gas line drip leg. Things that make you go, Huh.

Old 10/17/18, 11:28 PM
InterNACHI Member

When I was inspecting the Food Waste Grinder, I was able to identify that the device is not properly operating when turned on. A particular noise when turned on, suggest that something is stuck in the grinder teeth. Evaluation by a Professional Plumber is recommended.

Old 10/17/18, 11:44 PM
InterNACHI Member

Water heaters are prone to corrosion because of the supply of fresh water with lots of corrosion-causing oxygen. For this reason, water heater units usually have an anti-corrosion rod that is immerse inside the water heat tank, allowing the chemical reaction attack the rod instead the tank.