Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 1/2/19, 8:06 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

Research & Writing Assignment:

In article from garage inspection which dealt with truss connections, I learned multiple items. First how trusses need to be load bearing on exterior walls. Second that fasteners such deck screws are not a good idea for truss instillation because they have weak sheering properties.

Need a home inspection in Kansas? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Kansas certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 1/2/19, 8:45 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

I observed missing insulation on the AC condenser suction line. The insulation on the suction line is important so that the refrigerant doesn't pick up additional heat before entering the unit. The copper suction line should be insulated along it's entire length. In this case, the insulation along the last few inches of the pipe leading up to the unit is missing. I recommend insulation be added/repaired by a qualified contractor.

Residential Standards of Practice Course
Old 1/2/19, 8:52 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

I've learned the importance of the anti-tip bracket on a free standing range while reading an inspection article. The anti-tip bracket is typically a metal bracket that is supplied with the range by the manufacturer. It is attached to a leg of the range and then the wall. It is important that it be installed properly as it is a safety device, and if not installed at all or improperly, could result in serious injury. It prevents the range from tipping forward if a heavy object or person were to apply weight to the door while open. For instance, if a small child were to stand on the open door they could be burned, and/or crushed by the range and whatever is in/on it.

Old 1/2/19, 9:13 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

By inspecting these stairs, I checked the height of the risers to insure it is not more then 7 3/4" and the tread depth is not less then 10". I checked to insure the height of all risers are the same (or at least not greater than 3/8"). I noticed that the hand rail is missing, which is a safety concern especially for people with reduced mobility.

Old 1/3/19, 12:23 AM
InterNACHI Member

The inspector had a limited view of the full attic space due to there being no flooring, but upon his inspection of insulation, insulation appeared satisfactory.
Insulation was rolled insulation with paper facing inside of house.
Thickness appeared relatively uniform, and 12 inches or greater of thickness.
Upon further inspection wood flakes were observed laying on the insulation. These flakes appeared to be from the roof plywood. Inspector suggests a roofing professional exam the roof structure.

Old 1/3/19, 12:50 AM
InterNACHI Member

At this property I inspected the roofing systems. During my inspection I came across this flashing that had been lifted up due to fastening not installed properly. The lifted flashing could allow for water to penetrate the sheathing material allowing for water damage the wall structure.

Old 1/3/19, 12:51 AM
InterNACHI Member

Under the Standard of Practice, the Home Inspector must note as in need of correction the absences of a carbon monoxide (CO) detector within a reasonable distance of a fireplace. No matter the fuel, a fireplace could produce an unsafe level of CO for the occupants in the home and result potential death. A CO detector will safely alert the occupants of the home of dangerous CO levels and is an important part of the Standard of Practice in regards to firplaces.

Old 1/3/19, 1:04 AM
InterNACHI Applicant

House numbers are a small but very crucial item of the house. Every house should display the house number in a clear and visible manner. It is very crucial for emergency personal - for example police, ambulance and firemen rushing to an emergency - where every second counts, should be able to find the house easily. Some jurisdiction are implementing regulations for the size and locations of the house numbers placement.
House numbers may be visible at times and invisible at others, for example at night or summer when the trees are full of leaves. So it's important to make sure they are visible at all times from a distant.
According to 6.5.12 of the International Standard for Inspecting Commercial Properties inspections should inspect to make sure the house numbers are visible.
House numbers can get ruined, dirty and nonfunctional (for illuminated ones), it should be maintained and properly displayed at all times.

Old 1/3/19, 1:11 AM
New User

Please Note: wslater is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

This is a photo of a vinyl double hung window. The R value is only about a 3. This house had all new windows installed approximately 6 months ago. The home is about 35 years old so this was a good upgrade for the new home owner.

Old 1/3/19, 1:39 AM
InterNACHI Member

Aluminum wiring is 55 times more likely reach "Fire Hazard Conditions" than is a home wired with copper." While knowing the age of a house is important in determining if aluminum wiring is present, an easy way to tell if a house has aluminum wiring is just reading the wire jacket which may be marked with AL or a brand name that contains the word Aluminum.

If a house has aluminum wiring, it is important to recommend the home owner or buyer hire an electrician that is experienced and qualified to work with aluminum wiring because not all electricians are qualified.

Old 1/3/19, 1:46 AM
New User

Please Note: wslater is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Garage doors and openers. Garage doors are the heaviest and largest moving object in a home. They need to operate properly to avoid injury. They should have a proper working opener and a functioning electric eye and auto reverse switch which should be tested during an inspection.

Old 1/3/19, 12:44 PM
Student Inspector

Upon further investigation in the access panel behind the bathtub I can see that the shut off valves were both turned off which explains why the shower was not working. I also observed that there is an active leak on the hot water line (left side). It is actively dripping in the shut off position. Recommend a licensed plumbing contractor evaluate and make necessary repairs so water line is no longer leaking and shower can be turned back on.

Old 1/3/19, 1:01 PM
Student Inspector

I knew there are many negatives to solid aluminum wiring in a home. From this article I learned that once a screw is over tightened that the pressure on the AL wire does not stop. The pressure will continue to "deform" (word used in article) the wire and over time the connection will weaken/loosen causing the electrical resistance to increase which can heat up the wire.

Need a home inspection in Kansas? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Kansas certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 1/3/19, 1:23 PM
InterNACHI Member

Upon the ceiling of the laundry room a large stain was observed, as well as patching and cracked popcorn indecating possible water intrusion. Testing for moister using a moister meter the area of concern was dry. Further investigation into the attic above shows the possible pipes over ceiling may have leaked at one point. It is recommended to speak with the seller of the home to understand fully what has happened there previously.

Old 1/3/19, 1:41 PM
InterNACHI Member

Important items to inspect and look for in a electrical service panel. First i check make sure the required number of screws are used to hold the panel on to the wall (equal to the amount of mounting points on the panel). Next i open the panel to make sure all openings are filled with either a breaker or block out plate and there are no openings into the back of the panel. Then i look to see if the panel is properly labeled for the breakers. I then locate the main disconnect and identify the service the panel provides. After i remove the panel cover in a safe order and check to ensure there are not any possible red flags in the wire of the panel such as loose wiring, double tapped breakers or over powered wiring based off the size of the breaker the wire is ran to. Also checking the screws used to ensure they are not sharp to potentially pierce wiring. Once done inspecting i return the panel cover to the way it was originally or to the proper mounting and report of any issues discovered within the panel.