Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 2/20/19, 11:51 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

Research & Writing Assignment:

Collar ties should be located in the upper third portion and rafter ties in the lower third portion of the opposing gable rafters. Collar ties are intended as tension support to prevent the rafters from separating from the ridge beam, while rafter ties are intended to resist the outward push of exterior walls due to the weight of the roof. Color tie should be a minimum 1x4, And rafter ties should be a minimum of 2 x 4

Need a home inspection in New Hampshire? Check out InterNACHI's listing of New Hampshire certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 2/21/19, 12:41 AM
InterNACHI Member

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

Here is a picture of a roof framing member which has been cut to make room for the furnace which is installed in the attic. This is a defect because structural components of the roof should never be modified from their original design.

'Structural Issues for Home Inspectors' course
Old 2/21/19, 12:45 AM
InterNACHI Member

For this essay I chose an image of balloon framing. Balloon framing is an outdated construction practice which involves building the walls out of long studs and adding floor structure later. This is a poor practice because without fire blocking between each floor fire can spread quickly throughout the structure.

Old 2/21/19, 2:28 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

During this home inspection I noticed many structural issues that were noted in my report. One of the issues that I was seeing at the various locations of home and garage was large vertical cracks in the foundation walls, also there was displacement on some cracks, along with multiple cracks and damage in the foundation walls in basement around the structural beam to foundation wall. I recommended a further evaluation by a qualified license structural engineer to evaluate.

Old 2/21/19, 3:03 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

In the article Structural design for home inspector I found to be informing. As a home inspector we evaluate the structure for types of cracking, such as shrinkage or common cracks to more serious cracks such as horizontal cracks in foundation, which can be a sign of pushing in or failing. Vertical cracks that are large enough for concern, displacement in cracks, or vertical cracks that become wider towards the footer or lower part of foundation.Negative grading issues which can put water and moisture to close to the foundation. Unstable soil conditions, some cause by the back filling or unstable soils in the area. In this article they mention the weight of transfer from structural beams to columns or peirs, Like the dead weight of the house and the live load with people living in the house and soil lateral loads from back filling to the house. Winds loads depending on the location of were the house is build. One thing mentioned is the lack of collar ties in the attic, or perlin supports needed when the rafters and ceiling joist are perpindicular. Collar ties are designed to keep the roof rafters from spreading. Also I never really thought about having longer or more extended eaves could cause more of a uplift in windy areas, but I always perfered the longer or extended eaves to keep water away from the house better.

Old 2/21/19, 7:59 AM
InterNACHI Applicant

This house is a balloon framed Victorian home over one hundred years old. This picture exposes a horizontal crack over a doorway entrance to a bedroom on the third floor of the north west corner of the house. It is a horizontal crack in the plaster, but should be investigated further.