Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 1/20/19, 6:59 PM
InterNACHI Member

Research & Writing Assignment:

According to the SOP slide the following are reasons an inspector would not inspect an item.
inspector and the inspectors client agree that the item is not to be inspected;
inspector is not qualified to inspect the item;
item to be inspected is a common element of a multifamily development and is not in physical contact with the unit being inspected; and
inspector determines, using reasonable judgment, that conditions exist that prevent the inspection of an item; conditions or materials are hazardous to the health or safety of the inspector; or the actions of the inspector could cause damage to the property.

Need a home inspection in California? Check out InterNACHI's listing of California certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 1/20/19, 7:04 PM
InterNACHI Member

It is imperative to mark items that are inspected as inspected in your report. The inspector failed to mark the items that he inspected as such, he also failed to mark the items as deficient. The TREC report requires both to be marked.

Old 1/20/19, 7:09 PM
InterNACHI Member

Fortunately for me I use software that throws red flags is a report is missing some information. The software sends alerts to the user until all required information is inputted. At that time it will allow you to submit the report. I do not have someone read my reports. The software also has built in remarks that keep the end user from mis spelling words and placing "opionions" into the report.

Old 1/20/19, 7:21 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

Best practices that an inspector can use that are not required by rule, would be simply to use common since and courtesy while being mindful that your client has put his trust in you, your knowledge, education, experience and the inspection industry as a whole.

Old 1/20/19, 7:27 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

It appears that the first inspector is a slacker. Many of the items missed sounded obvious and would have been found if the inspection was done at least with in the standards of practice. The first inspector should refund any money received from this inspection and then go back to school.

Old 1/20/19, 7:32 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

The inspector should have indicated in his report that he did not feel safe walking on the tile roof and that he only viewed it from a ladder. He should have also explained that he could not see the entire roof and recommend that a qualified roofer come out to do a complete inspection of the roof.
He also failed to notify TREC of his DBA in the required time.

Old 1/20/19, 7:36 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

Licensed professional inspectors in Texas are required to maintain financial responsibility at all times and cannot legally perform any inspections for real estate transactions with out it. This can be in the form of insurance or bond and must be submitted and approved by TREC.

Old 1/20/19, 7:42 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

The inspector is responsible for the property when being allow to enter. An inspector should not allow anyone to enter the property unless the owner indicated to do so. The inspector should ensure that no one is in the house and lock the door when leaving.
An inspector could increase cooperation with other persons in the industry by sharing knowledge and experiences when necessary.

Old 1/20/19, 7:56 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

The best way an inspector can ensure independence is to only discuss your findings with your client unless your client has asked you to share some information.
The example in this discussion high lights a big problem in the inspection industry and that is the fact that Real Estate Sales professionals control our business and lively hood. I have real estate companies that have dropped me from the list because I report what I see and I got the "if you want to sell it , dont call him" reputation.( or maybe its because I didnt buy them lunch) I also over heard a real estate agent say " I only recommend multi inspector companies because I dont want the liability of knowing the inspector. WTF

Old 1/20/19, 8:00 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

The best practice for obtaining a clients permission is simply to ask them verbally followed by a written notice preferably on a pre-inspection agreement.

Old 1/20/19, 8:09 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

The inspector is required to maintain financial responsibility.
The inspector is illegally advertising that he provides services for which he is not licensed.
The inspector did not perform the job that he accepted money for therefor he is a fraud.

Old 1/21/19, 12:57 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

An inspector is not qualified to inspect an item when the inspector is not familiarized with certain systems. To do so when unfamiliar with a system could result in damage to the component or home and/or injury to the inspector.
Common elements not required to be inspected by the inspector are cosmetic or aesthetic items, wear and tear due to everyday use and components that do not comprise the building.
Roofs too high to be reached by the inspector's ladder or heights that make the inspector feel uncomfortable or unsafe, opening or removing electrical panels are some conditions or hazards that might prevent an inspector from inspecting an item. These too could also result in damage to the component or home and/or injury to the inspector.

Old 1/21/19, 1:50 PM

The inspector should have reported the need for the misaligned downspout to be corrected and the negative grade slope to be corrected for drainage of rain water away from the home because pooling water within 24 inches of the house could have an adverse effect on the foundation.

Need a home inspection in California? Check out InterNACHI's listing of California certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 1/21/19, 1:58 PM

1. I always read the reports several times before sending it to the client. I will always not only read it from my perspective but from the buyer's perspective so that I feel that they will fully understand what I am reporting and so that the format is pleasing to their eyes.
2. Because I am a one man operation, I typically do not have someone else to proofread the report other than myself. However, I will proofread as many times needed until I feel comfortable with the report.

Old 1/21/19, 2:10 PM

1. Under direct supervision, the professional inspector has the opportunity, although time consuming, to follow the apprentice inspector and discuss each component as it is being inspected.
Also, both the professional and inspector may perform the home inspection separately and then at the end of the inspection compare their findings.
2. Because of distance and time, at this time I would probably not consider supervising someone who practices in a different part of the state.