"Vermiculite Insulation" mini course

This thread is dedicated exclusively for those students currently enrolled in the InterNACHI mini course titled, “Vermiculite Insulation.”

In keeping with InterNACHI’s commitment to Continuing Education, this course is open and free to all members, and can be taken again and again, without limit.

Students are free to pose questions and comments here and join in the conversation with other students. The thread will be monitored by the course instructor.

Contact: Director of Education, Ben Gromicko ben@internachi.org

Inspector training courses: www.nachi.org/education.

Thank you.

A vermiculite type material was found in the attic space. This type of material may contain asbestos. Testing would be required to confirm this. This material should not be disturbed. If the material is to be disturbed, proper safe handling techniques and disposal should be followed.

Hello I’m starting now.

Hello I just finished up thanks a lot this course was very informational!

I have a few inspections coming up of older homes and wanted to increase my knowledge of Vermiculite insulation. Very good training material.

Recently inspected a home in Richboro PA. and found approx. 10% of the insulation in the attic was Vermiculite.

5/27/2016
Short essay; An example of a gas water heater leak with very bad efflorescence that is obviously a leak.
In fact I believe that the sacrificial rod in this water heater has corroded away or may be very close because the corrosive buildup of white efflorescence being very evident. A leak no matter how small can create a damp environment that can sprout mold and mildew causing a health concern.

The even greater risk is the malfunction of the T&P valve on the water heater along with the obvious corrosion of the fittings is a huge failure ready to happen. The direct contact of two different plumbing materials copper and steel causing corrosion called electrochemical degeneration has added more danger.
This corrosion can be halted by using Teflon lined dielectric nipples to stop the electrochemical reaction.

What does that have to do with Vermiculite Insulation" mini course"?

In my opnion water squirting up into the crawl space would be very hazardous. Among blowing a hole in the roof and sending vermiculite insulation particles all thru the house

I have taken a pic of the insulation in attic on my Android phone. but cant up load pic. But here is what I know about Vermiculite insulation. It it is not vermiculite insulation because house was built after 1990. Vermiculite has asbestos in it and was put in attics prier to 1991. it will cause lung cancer. It is not to be disturbed while doing the inspection in attic. Face mask will not help keep you from breathing the asbestos. If you suspect vermiculite you must inform the client and write it in your report.

Short essay:
The attic in this home contains suspect “Vermiculite” insulation. This pebble type insulation product can be seen in the attached picture. Fibreglass batt insulation was present over top of the suspect Vermiculite.
Not all vermiculite insulation contains asbestos. Vermiculite supplied from a mine near Libby, Montana does typically contain an Asbestos component. Vermiculite attic insulation, using ore that originated from this mine, may contain asbestos fibres. It is recommended that we assume all Vermiculite insulation is the asbestos containing type. I recommend sampling and lab review to verify. Homeowners should make every effort not to disturb vermiculite insulation in their attics.

INTERNACHI suggests the following:

If you occasionally have to go into your attic, current best practices state that:

1. You should make every effort to stay on the floored part of your attic and do not disturb the insulation.

2. If you must perform activities that may disturb the attic insulation, such as moving boxes or other materials, do so as gently as possible to minimize the disturbance.

3. Leave the attic immediately after the disturbance.

4. If you need work done in your attic, such as the installation of cable or utility lines, hire trained and certified professionals who can do the work safely.

5. It is possible that vermiculite attic insulation can sift through cracks in the ceiling, around light fixtures, and around ceiling fans. You can prevent this by sealing the cracks and holes that insulation could pass through.

6. Wearing a common dust mask is not an effective measure against exposure to asbestos fibres.

IMAGE: not shown
I was not able to upload an appropriate picture. Picture shows suspect Vermiculite (attic) insulation underneath a layer of fibreglass batt insulation.

Short essay re: Spray foam insulation.
Polyurethane spray foam insulation was present in the visible joist “bays” of the subfloor - visible in the basement of this home. This spray foam product does create an effective insulation barrier, however fire and smoke characteristics of this type of insulation require that it be covered with a fire-resistant layer, such as*drywall. The visible spray foam insulation in this installation has not been covered. I recommend further review, by a licensed contractor, for correction as deemed necessary.
IMAGE:
Picture showing visible spray foam insulation in the subfloor area could not be uploaded.

Attic contains what appears to be vermiculite insulation. Not all vermiculite insulation contains asbestos, but prior to 1990, much of the world’s supply of vermiculite came from a mine near Libby, Montana. This mine had a natural deposit of asbestos, which contaminated the vermiculite. Attic insulation using vermiculite ore that originated from the Libby mine, may contain asbestos fibers. The EPA, ASTDR, and Internachi recommend that I assume all vermiculite insulation contains asbestos, and so should you. They also recommend that homeowners make every effort not to disturb vermiculite insulation in their attics.

I was looking through the pictures and there was one picture of an inspector standing on a ladder, looking into the attic with no protection on. I always put my mask and eye protection on before I even open the access panel to prevent getting debris in my eyes or lungs as I open the panel.

Good letter by Joe inspector that I adopted for my reporting, but course should make additional recommendations about testing, removal, etc. Without a recommendation or two then the seriousness is diluted, which may be an E&O issue. Vermiculite is an important hazard that probably needs more said about it in this course.

Dear Client:

The attic contains what appears to be vermiculite insulation. Not all vermiculite insulation contains asbestos, but prior to 1990, much of the worlds supply of vermiculite came from a mine near Libby, Montana. This mine had a natural deposit of asbestos, which resulted in the vermiculite being contaminated with asbestos. Attic insulation produced using vermiculite ore, particularly ore that originated from the Libby mine, may contain asbestos fibers. The EPA, ASTDR and InterNACHI recommend that I assume that all vermiculite insulation contains asbestos, and so should you. The EPA, ATSDR, IAC2 and InterNACHI strongly recommend that homeowners make every effort not to disturb vermiculite insulation in their attics.

If you occasionally have to go into your attic, current best practices state that:

1. You should make every effort to stay on the floored part of your attic and do not disturb the insulation.

2. If you must perform activities that may disturb the attic insulation, such as moving boxes or other materials, do so as gently as possible to minimize the disturbance.

4. If you need work done in your attic, such as the installation of cable or utility lines, hire trained and certified professionals who can do the work safely.

5. It is possible that vermiculite attic insulation can sift through cracks in the ceiling, around light fixtures, and around ceiling fans. You can prevent this by sealing the cracks and holes that insulation could pass through.

6. Wearing a common dust mask is not an effective measure against exposure to asbestos fibers.

Dear Client:

The attic contains what appears to be vermiculite insulation. Not all vermiculite insulation contains asbestos, but prior to 1990, much of the worlds supply of vermiculite came from a mine near Libby, Montana. This mine had a natural deposit of asbestos, which resulted in the vermiculite being contaminated with asbestos. Attic insulation produced using vermiculite ore, particularly ore that originated from the Libby mine, may contain asbestos fibers. The EPA, ASTDR and InterNACHI recommend that I assume that all vermiculite insulation contains asbestos, and so should you. The EPA, ATSDR, IAC2 and InterNACHI strongly recommend that homeowners make every effort not to disturb vermiculite insulation in their attics.

6. Wearing a common dust mask is not an effective measure against exposure to asbestos fibers.

Dear Client:

Vermiculite or Zonolite style insulation was present and MAY Contain Asbestos. Its suggested that it be tested and analyzed by an Industrial Hygienist to confirm the presence of asbestos using a transmission electron microscopy. It’s suggested that the material not be disturbed until further assessment.

Not all vermiculite insulation contains asbestos, but prior to 1990, much of the worlds supply of vermiculite came from a mine near Libby, Montana. This mine had a natural deposit of asbestos, which resulted in the vermiculite being contaminated with asbestos. Attic insulation produced using vermiculite ore, particularly ore that originated from the Libby mine, may contain asbestos fibers. The EPA, ASTDR and InterNACHI recommend that I assume that all vermiculite insulation contains asbestos, and so should you. The EPA, ATSDR, IAC2 and InterNACHI strongly recommend that homeowners make every effort not to disturb vermiculite insulation in their attics.

Recommendations on Vermiculite

Leave vermiculite insulation undisturbed in your attic or in your walls.

-Do not store boxes or other items in your attic if it contains vermiculite insulation.

-Do not allow children to play in an attic with vermiculite insulation.

-Do not attempt to remove the insulation yourself.

-Hire a professional asbestos contractor if you plan to remodel or conduct renovations that would disturb the vermiculite in your attic or walls to make sure the material is safely handled and/or removed.

For more information regarding Vermiculite Insulation please visit http://www.carsondunlop.com/resources/articles/vermiculite-insulation

Shaun Brear - CPI

Vermiculite insulation is a pebble-like or rectangular, chunky product about the size of a pencil eraser, and usually gray-brown or silver-gold in color. Inspectors should be on guard for empty bags in the attic that bear the name Zonolite, as this was the commercial name for vermiculite mined in the notorious Libby mine.

While this is not a picture of vermiculite it is insulation. When looking in the attic you should identify the materials used to insulate the home. Vermiculite may contain asbestos. It should always be treated as if does. Pay caution not to disturb it.