A few worn out shingles?

Hey Guys,

Need your opinion on this. This is a 10 year old roof with a few worn out shingles. Is this not premature? Any why just these few shingles? What might have caused this?

I looked from the attic and did not find any inconsistencies and there were also no signs of moisture damage or stains.

How do we report on this?

Thanks

Premature wear and deterioration of the shingle with aggregate loss and curl present…

It is what it is…
report accordingly…

OK thank you. What about ‘recommendation’? Monitor it for further deterioration of the shingle OR Contact a professional for further evaluation? Maybe they need to consider patching this up before snow accumulation.

IMO, the pictures appear that the roof may need replaced; may not be insurable; roof life is very limited. Second opinion suggested.

Do a google search of “shingle recall”. There are many roof manufacturers that are having trouble with roof defects after ten years; Owens/Corning is one of them; another is Certainteed.

What Joseph said.

Thank you

Yep ,I am no giant roof expert like many of the southern members but the amount of curl and separation in the pictures indicates age.
They might be able to just replace certain shingles and go another 5 years but let the pro contractor decide .
You have warning signs and as mentioned that is enough.

for a 10 Year Old Roof …
The degradation is indicative of a roof much older…

aggregate loss and curl would indicate 15 - 20 years…
which is the life of a 3 tab shingle…

From my experience, roofing contractors opt less to repair isolated areas of damage on roofs that exhibit patterns or larger areas of damaged roof coverings… think about it. If the roof was significantly worn or weathered, why would it need to be “repaired”? Only to have adjacent areas leak, at the demise of the homeowner AND roofing contractor, who may be responsible as the last person who touched it.

Early stages of distortion visible. The shingles are not of high quality. @ shingles show exaggerated distortion for their age. Suggest replacement of those shingles to avoid potential damage to the roof structure from moisture intrusion.