It's not as fun when it's your own house

I just had a new roof put on by a well respected company and caught a few defects that blows my mind that it even passes by the head guy who’s overseeing the project. First they installed the underlayment under the drip edge and my “continuous” ridge vent is lacking in the continuous department. I applaud roofers for doing that hard manual labor but it’s not rocket science to get the few components that a shingle roof consists of right. I already called them out on these and they were corrected but I just found it funny that they can’t read the installation instructions on their products they install.

Now tell them to fix the plumbing vent flashings

Good eye

FYI:

**Drip Edge (R 905.2.8.5) - shall be overlapped a minimum 3” and fastened 4” o.c. The drip edge may be installed under
or over the underlayment.
If drip edge installed over underlayment there shall be minimum 4” roof cement covering or
approved alternate material.

Dom.

Interesting, I researched more about it. I guess the Florida technique is different than the one taught here.

It’s call FBC and it’s been that way for a while now

Drip edges are installed under the underlayment on the rake and over on the eaves here in AZ

Is there a documented source and explanation for that standard?

I understand why in other placed the underlayment is positioned over the flashing at the eave and under the flashing at the rake. I cannot think of a reason for it to be reversed in AZ.

This is what a lot of home buyers and inspectors themselves think about home inspections too! :slight_smile:

“I applaud inspectors for doing that easy manual labor but it’s not rocket science to get the few components that a residential building consists of right.”

Shoot, I can’t even complain now since it was I who was mistaken on the drip edge(although nachi does teach the way that has it going on top). Looks like I owe them an apology. But I’ll stand my ground on my ventilation:)

You were not mistaken.

Agreed.

We generally teach according to the manufacturer’s requirements since they’re the ones backing the warranty, but in areas designated high-wind, local regulations can supersede, and Florida is one example. The idea is that the drip edge helps hold down the edge of the of the underlayment against wind uplift. Sidewall flashing for asphalt shingles is different in some areas of Florida too. Continuous flashing required instead of step flashing.

That’s crazy. Why not just do it right? Do it wrong, and then slop roof cement over it with a 4" brush? LOL. I don’t see the logic.

It has to do with wind, and the underlayment becomes a large sheet that will pull or tear right off, taking all the shingles with it.

That makes some sense, thx.

Of course it’s not correct until the roofing cement has been applied…

I do see it as I posted very frequently but it is not correct. As it has been posted, over on rakes and under on eaves

Which always happens lol

Common in Florida to install over on all sides, due to wind and storm problems.