Hammer tech

Have any of you hammer techs any knowledge of this type of shingle. I have never seen any in this area until yesterday. They were at least a 1/4 inch thick

Not a hammer tech but I have seen those.

Thick and heavy as hell.

Presidential Solaris

Certainteed

http://www.certainteed.com/products/roofing/Residential/luxury/341257

355 lbs. per square

The Owens Corning Product is even heavier at 465 lbs.

Thanks guys they are made by several MFG Mr Google gave some good links the shingle is actually called triple layer shingles and most have a 50 year MFG guarantee

That’s a lot of weight per square. Hope the trusses were designed for it.

A square is 100 square feet, so they weigh less than 5 lbs per sq ft. Asphalt shingles weigh about 2 PsF and are approved for up to 3 layers (although a really cheesy practice). I don’t think there’s any concern with the roof structure. I have no clue what structure design is in Cali, but in my area trusses are designed to withstand 62psf load.

Due the fact of so many new Inspectors, be careful what you say is approved.
Canada and US codes and requirements are different.

Only 2 layers for roof covering is allowed in the US. :slight_smile:

Aah, thanks for letting me know Marcel. I always try to say ‘in my area’ when I post, but didn’t with regards to that comment. Thanks for clearing it up :slight_smile:

In my area (the Hail belt) only one layer of asphalt is allowed but but but the most I have seen is six layers on a home and it was about to cave in

One layer … Check IRC

Dan, I read that as stripping if it has two layers. Existing condition.

R907.3 Recovering versus replacement. New roof coverings shall not be installed without first removing all existing layers of roof coverings where any of the following conditions exist:

1. Where the existing roof or roof covering is water-soaked or has deteriorated to the point that the existing roof or roof covering is not adequate as a base for additional roofing.

2. Where the existing roof covering is wood shake, slate, clay, cement or asbestos-cement tile.

3. Where the existing roof has two or more applications of any type of roof covering.

4. For asphalt shingles, when the building is located in an area subject to moderate or severe hail exposure according to Figure R903.5.

Might not be allowed in some areas Dan.

What To Do About Roof Sheathing When Re-Roofing

Building codes generally allow homeowners to install a second layer of asphalt shingles over an existing layer of old shingles. However, for a more secure roof during hurricanes and other high winds or in high hail areas, it is strongly recommended that you remove the old shingles before installing the new ones.

http://www.floridadisaster.org/hrg/content/roofs/reroof_soon.asp

Marcel - 1 layer.

Yes you are right … If 2 or more strip off to decking and put 1 layer back.