Licened Roofer's Work

](*,)

080211 009.jpg 080211 005.jpg

080211 005.jpg

Why does it matter??

If moisture ever got under the shingles the tar paper layed this way will let water intrude on the sheathing. Here in canada code requires that it be lapped over by 6 inches horizontally with the top sheet overlapping the bottom sheet. I know I know, those crazy canucks!!!

Code and manufacture

Correct

Wow that’s a first for me.

They must be related to the stucco crew in ks.

http://www.your-leaking-house.com/sites/your-leaking-house.com/forum/index.php/topic,87.0.html

[quote=“gmathias1, post:3, topic:61453”]

If moisture ever got under the shingles the tar paper layed this way will let water intrude on the sheathing. quote]

So the fact that all the holes from the roofing nails wouldn’t let water in???

Look I know what the manufacturer says but after its full of holes then what?
Its not a water proofing material.

So what does it take to get a roofers license?

Joe they where licensed. They just forgot to tell the owner CRUSTY THE CLOWN CERTIFIED THEIR LICENSE.
The Canadian authority’s just put and end to his licensing fraud Joe.
No more of that stuff up here.

definitely easier to install that way! LOL

In SC, $50, proof of US citizenship, and no horrible criminal record. Good for 2 years.

No proof of competency required.

In Quebec Canada the RBQ oversee residential building repair and construction in conjunction with the union although they say the are at arms length…
To be able to do any roofing or do roof repairs is little more than a $20,000 thousand dollar bond.
It was $2,000 dollar IN 2007.
I think I was instrumental in changing the value having voiced my opinion in 2007 in a 2 hour conversation with the head of operations.
You only need 10% percent down for a bond and are asked for your driving abstract and criminal record before you are given your license.
There are no tests for roofing, cement, stucco, painting and there are more.
Electricians and plumbers are exempt.
I discussed this with the RBQ head of investigations.
The laws are lax and a company investigated when there is a complaint.
When they find the time and dependent upon the allegations.
I was informed at that time there are less than 20 personal to oversee the province of Quebec.
The lions share of the work force doing investigations is Montreal and southern Quebec.
Its a start.:slight_smile:
http://www.rbq.gouv.qc.ca/en/owner-builder.html

I recently had an occasion to discuss this very topic with a professional and licensed roofing contractor. He has been in that business for 45 yrs and he said that there is nothing wrong with doing these that way. He doesn’t do them that way normally but on occasion it is the only way (didn’t elaborate) and like mentioned, the shingles or finish covering if installed correctly is supposed to prevent any leaks. Went on to say that if water penetrates the finished covering the "felt’ is not going to stop it from developing leaks. Just saying. His company is one of the most respected in the business around here as he stands by his product and work and we have A LOT of roof repairs being a coastal community prone to hurricanes and severe tropical storms. He isn’t some fly by night outfit operating out of the trunk of his car like some.

I thought about it some and realized that is about the only way to felt a turret roof and some others that have designs that do not lend itself to straight horizontal courses.

I find it hard to believe any qualified roofer would think this is a proper install. The idea of the roof is to be water resistant. The paper is put on the shed any water that may get under the shingles. When the paper is laid the right way the water drips from one layer to the next. This was the water can run right into the open seam. Like Gred said this is the same as when the roll doesn’t make it all the way to the end and you need an lap seam. The shingle manufactures recommend these over lap by 6" and have two rows of fasteners 6" apart and that lap seams should be 6-8 feet apart. The turret roof have to be done that way as Doug mentioned but a self stick water proofing membrane is recommended.

He’s misinformed. It is a code violation (at least in the IRC) and therefore “wrong”.

“R905.2.7Underlayment application. For roof slopes from two
units vertical in 12 units horizontal (17-percent slope), up to four
units vertical in 12 units horizontal (33-percent slope),
underlayment shall be two layers applied in the following manner.
Apply a 19-inch (483 mm) strip of underlayment felt parallel
to
** and starting at the eaves**, fastened sufficiently to hold in
place. Starting at the eave, apply 36-inch-wide (914 mm) sheets
of underlayment, overlapping successive sheets 19 inches (483
mm), and fastened sufficiently to hold in place. Distortions in the
underlayment shall not interfere with the ability of the shingles
to seal. For roof slopes of four units vertical in 12 units horizontal
(33-percent slope) or greater, underlayment shall be one layer
applied in the following manner. Underlayment shall be applied
shingle fashion, parallel to and starting from the eave and lapped
2 inches (51 mm), fastened sufficiently to hold in place.
Distortions
in the underlayment shall not interfere with the ability of
the shingles to seal. End laps shall be offset by 6 feet (1829 mm).”

I recently had an occasion to discuss this very topic with a professional and licensed roofing contractor.** He has been in that business for 45 yrs and he said that there is nothing wrong with doing these that way.** He doesn’t do them that way normally but on occasion it is the only way (didn’t elaborate) and like mentioned, the** shingles or finish covering if installed correctly is supposed to prevent any leaks.**
In my opinion he has made a grave error for 45 years.

Now you know why I got out of roofing. Most had nothing to talk about.** Hardened men **and the majority with little intelligence to reeducate there ideas to improve.( my personal opinion. )
If you look at the photo closely you will see a multitude of sins.
Not enough nail.
Not enough overlap.
Under laymen applied the wrong way.
2/4" studs as roof jacks and I can go on.
Wind and rain in the opposing direction of the lapped felt and the home owner would have a law suit on their hands.

Called away. Did not complete my post.
If all shingles performance was perfect and the weather was average to allowfor proper self-sealing and all decks were monolithic
( without seams ) then maybe the contractor or GC would have a point.
There are many types materials used for decking.
On older home it may be five quarter 5/4" by 6" inch reused foundation forming material or even new boards in Montreal.
Have seem 1/4 decking 4’ by 4’ foot clipped ply used in 1970’s housing projects. Now a bylaw in Quebec.
It would buckle from just my weight from walking ( the snow load must strain the system. )
If the weather was average and allowed for proper sealing of the shingles but in my area that is 6 months of the year. I roofed 12 months and nailed when it was -028c.
So to say the under laymen is not needed or can be laid in the fashion is a misguided.
The code must be wrong.
Ice backup ( damming ) and wind and rain driven moisture under unsealed shingles force the use and need a secondary barrier at times.
My opinion.
I will try to come back with recorded proof from now on.

I does not appear to be over lapping 6" either. 2" to the first line.