Newbie inspecting a roof for repairs. ??

I have a question regarding my first on top of the roof inspection. I was completing a roof repair inspection and while I was walking on the roof I figured it would feel solid all across as I walked and it did not it had sections were the sleights would feel as if they were loose and it would sink in. To me that is water penetration and would need to be replaced. Also 2 section in the garage ceiling had water spots. One section of the roof had a whole in the roof panel but the other side which was the opposite side did not have a whole. that left me wondering were the water was coming from. In a section further up from the roof the garage roof hip joined the house roof and the flashing edge has a entry point were the slate can be picked up wondering if that could be the cause.

As a newbie and my first roof repair inspection can you let me know if I am correct that the garage roof would need to be replaced or should I say the entire roof should be replace.

Come again…?

Was it actually slate shingles?

Some roofs have some give in between the rafters depending on the thickness of the sheathing or the spacing of the rafters/trusses.

Some water stains can be hard to determine where they are coming from especially if there is no access to the attic, also some “water” stains can actually be rodent urine.

Last item, it is hole not whole.

Sorry about the spelling. And Thank you for the reply.

Okay So I can assume that give can be due to spacing and not water penetration since the shingles are tight. Do they naturally bubble when there is a slight give? and if not does it need to be repaired?

Thank you once more.

You can not assume anything when evaluating a structure. When looking at the roof and feel softer areas you need to look from the attic also. Could be water, lack of H clips, insufficient sheathing thickness etc…

Correct spelling and grammar are essential to a home inspection report and all related communication.
I recommend that you spend time improving that skill set.

1. Is this slate tile or asphalt shingle roof (you’ve mentioned both slates and shingles)? If it’s slate, you shouldn’t be walking on it. If it’s shingle, and you’re calling it slate, you shouldn’t be doing roof inspections until you’re better qualified.
  2. If the sheathing feels soft where there are dark areas visible from the attic, then those areas may have lost strength due to decay. The repair would depend on the nature of the damage. If it’s a vaulted ceiling, then a roofer would need to expose the sheathing to determine the problem and the correction. But that’s only if it’s serious. I little bit of give in some places of a roof is not that unusual.
  3. There is no roof covering that naturally bubbles when pressure is applied.

I suggest you take InterNACHI’s roof inspection video courses:

…and read through their Mastering Roof Inspections series.

1. Is this slate tile or asphalt shingle roof (you’ve mentioned both slates and shingles)? If it’s slate, you shouldn’t be walking on it. If it’s shingle, and you’re calling it slate, you shouldn’t be doing roof inspections until you’re better qualified.
  2. If the sheathing feels soft where there are dark areas visible from the attic, then those areas may have lost strength due to decay. The repair would depend on the nature of the damage.
  3. There is no roof covering that naturally bubbles when pressure is applied.
  4. A hole in the roof? You’re saying… what are you saying?

I suggest you take InterNACHI’s roof inspection video courses:

…and read through their Mastering Roof Inspections series.

They are sleights. I will keep studying and practicing so I can get better. i was going to attached 2 images for visual but my google drive is give me an error.

Thank you for your input.

It is a “slate” roof Dianna, not “sleights”. Very important to pay attention to spelling and grammar, and you need to get help with this. Yours is bad. Using proper spelling and grammar in reports is crucial to success in this busines.

No, ensuring referring Real Estate Agents are happy is :wink:

BTW, you spelled business wrong :smiley:

Ooooooh, ya got me! :freaked-:

The best recommendation I can offer you is, Kenton Shepards post #7.

Note: Much if not all of the advanced roofing course was written by Marcel Cyr…

Observation: You lack descriptives and narration.
Recommend: Go to renovation box stores. Learn the proper names of what you observe.

When I first arrived I felt frustrated!
That was after studying for 3 years part time and being certified by a well-known home inspection educator. I will not mention their name.
I felt frustrated I did not have the proper narratives to describe materials, structures, systems and components.
That comes with time and hard work.
I felt frustrated at the reams of information offered by others and the ease at which it flowed when asked…
I felt frustrated other bullied, stalked, poked and prodded when there was no need.
I felt frustrated that nothing could be done to stop the instigators back then.
I felt frustrated I did not know so much!

I wish you all the best and can only say, you will be frustrated time and time again.

Put your nose to the grindstone, make a study friend, study hard, ask for help and remember, at InterNACHI we are all pulling for you.