painting roofing material

I just inspected a roof and the roofing material was spray painted the same color as the rest of the home? The home is renovated by a seller/investor, i may add that the roof have three layers of asphalt shingles on it, I think the third layer was painted over because it is faded, and this is a quick fix?

I’ve seen that, but not sprayed. Usually it’s the elastomeric stuff and they do it to extend the life and lighten the color of the roof. I use it on my rolled composition roofing on my rental low slope roof every couple years and it does extend the life.

The are companies now that can spray granules on the roof mixed with elastomeric to extend the life of roofs.
No one is doing it here that I know of.

How are you going to write up the three layers?
Remember the average load pre sq.ft. will be 2.10 LBS. or 210 lbs. a square.
that is 700 lbs a square.
Hope it does not snow.
SUSPECT: Warn roof.
Three layers of shingles and a elastomer spray.
RECOMMEND: A government licensed roofer evaluate condition.

The manufactures recommendations are number one rule with any material…
Flashing, overhang, Roof penetrations, fasteners, ventilation etc all add to a report on condition.
Some will argue the Ventilation part.:wink:

Read up on roofing.

Excellent post, Robert!

As you stated, who gives a **** about the ‘paint’ when the thing has 3 layers!

Just playin’ the devil’s advocate… but some jurisdictions allow having up to 3 layers of shingles.

Willian check your local code.
Call a old experienced roofing company in your state or province and ask what is code in your province.
Up until the year 2000, it was legal to install up to 3 layers of shingles on a single roof. However, Utah’s building codeschanged, and now the building codes allow only two roofing layers on a single roof.
It is best to check your provincial and state codes when it comes to re-roofing.
RECOMMEND: The roofing material be stripped to the deck, a majority of the shingle fasteners be removed from the deck and all plywood fasteners be checked for lifting and added fasteners reinforce the all good decking material. Any decking material that is rotten, buckled or ply or shearing be replaced.

I have noticed in my experiences with re-roofing layering to many ply of shingles degrades the ply wood decking.
1# It allows moisture to be trapped in between shingle layers with RH being in close proximity to the deck . A cause of buckling or saddling the plywood. A concave indent.
2# The added weight and layers effects nail lifting in the original deck. 3 ply would mean you need a 3" nail to contact the deck by 5/8

Thanks Robert, i never said it was a good idea. I write it up every time.

Painted roof are easy down here. REPLACE. Not allowed

Please tell me where.

I am not aware of any manufacturers that allow 3 layers. Are you, William?

Really, Bill? Not allowed by who?

No Pete, why do you ask? I don’t recall mentioning anything about manufacturers.
Do I think it’s a good idea? Not even close
Was my comment about repairs to be on the 3rd layer? No
My comment was simply that some jurisdictions will still allow up to 3 layers of shingles on a roof.

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/housing/sfh/ref/sfhp1-24
C. Re-Roofing: FHA will accept a maximum of 3 layers of existing roofing. If more than 2 layers exist and repair is necessary, then all old roofing must be removed as part of the re-roofing. (4905.1 REV-1, 2-12)

I asked b/c it does not matter what the jurisdiction will allow. Mfr’s Installation Instructions trump all jurisdictions.

Again, I am not aware of any mfrs that allow 3 layers.

Miami-Dade county does not allow it. Neither does the manufacturer. Once you paint the shingles the warranty is voided.

Here is proof of what happens:

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/business/realestate/housekeys/blog/2011/01/homeowners_with_leaky_roofs_bl.html