Ridge cap installation

Looks like one installer started at 1 end and the other installer at the other end and ended up in the middle. Mountain or molehill…
Thanx

Common practice. That way, it doesn’t matter which way the prevailing winds blow because only half of the caps will blow off.:cool:

It may be more significant that the ridge cap looks like it was cut from dimensional shingles.

Cutting the laminated shingles for caps is also common and not a problem unless the slope is too steep and bending the cap across the ridge will delaminate the tabs. Most manufactures don’t bless this practice though.

not only do they not bless this practice, it is not in their installation instructions. needs to be replaced

So now if you are doing a wind mitigation will you mark box A knowing the roof is not installed in accordance with the FBC

No, mainly because there was no permit pulled, but if the permit were finaled I would be inclined to mark A.

Would you write it in your inspection report

I did tell them verbally that a finaled permit was needed to qualify. If the AHJ finals the permit there good to go.

What would your narrative be…

Cut dimensional shingles were used for the ridge cap. Although a common practice most manufacturers may not approve the use of these shingles for ridge caps. This installation may affect the warranty of the newly installed roof. Recommend checking the manufacturers installation requirements for use as a ridge cap material and/or evaluation/replacement by a licensed roofing contractor.

Only if you 100% know that practice.
Hell! compositionsion shingle like that maybe no problem or better.
Did you see it leaking?
I’d hate havin’ to cut the b a s ta rds.

Manufacturers installation instructions say they are not approved. so does RAS115-12.1. In this particular case the building department is going to revoke their final inspection and make them do it right.

“If the AHJ finals the permit there good to go” - not always, as in the case above. Just because a final permit was issued does not make it right.

Researching a different roof from Saturdays home inspection. This inspector knows.

Date/Time 11/25/2005
Inspector QS
Status Approved
Inspector’s Comment (Approved) LT BRN TIMBERLINE, APPROVED RIDGE CAP INSTALLED. INSPECTOR KEVIN DOWD
Date/Time 3/2/2005
Inspector FREEMAN
Status Not Approved
Inspector’s Comment (Approved) PER JM #19. / YT- USE APPROVED RIDGE CAP OR SHOW APPROVAL BY G.A.F. ON RIDGE USED.
Date/Time 3/1/2005
Inspector PETERS
Status Failed
Inspector’s Comment (Cancelled) CANCELLED BY JM #19. RESCHEDULED.
Date/Time 2/28/2005
Inspector BARRETT
Status Failed
Inspector’s Comment (Cancelled) CBI 19

Thomas,
The installation required a specific ridge cap shingle different from the field shingle used.
I do not believe you will find any manufacture that does not require the use of a “ridge cap” shingle when using a dimensional shingle.
Even if it works you can not use the dimensional shingle for a ridge and install per manufacture specifications.

Final outcome was that you have to go with the AHJ and how they interpret the term strip shingle. I called GAF and they said that the use of those shingles was not recommended but would no specifically state that they could not be used. Also said that it would not affect the warranty on the shingles but might come back to haunt the installer at a later time