ridge cap shingles

I did an inspection on a home that had a roof replaced recently, Noticed that some of the ridge cap shingles still had the plastic strip that covers the adhesive on the bottom of the shingle, and made a note that some of the ridge shingles were not adhered.

Roofer came out and said that strip did not need to be removed and the shingles were adhered properly.

Yes or no on that?

second area the shingles are not mechanically fastened and just stuck to a pile of tar under the eve. they said they did not find any “raised shingles per my report”

final picture is the drip edge does not "finish at the edge of the wall, and the plywood substrate is exposed. It is under an eve but still I would think it should be finished properly.
roofer stated that this metal was installed at the time of build ? not making any repairs

Ohh and the lovely job of fascia installation with exposed endgrain butt joints, roofer states was installed per existing.

Anyone think I should fight this?

DSC09744.JPG

DSC09744.JPG

DSC09741.JPG

DSC09784.JPG

DSC09742.JPG

Kenneth I will give you my opinion on a couple of your questions. First the plastic strip is used for packing so the shingles don’t stick together in the bundle. You can see the seal strip on the middle of the shingle so it seals the bottom of the one on top.I remember seeing those things blowing around a yard when the installer was peeling them off. LOL. The shingles under the eave are stuck with plastic cement because you cannot get a hammer and nail in there. Even a hammer that was cut down is difficult. But it does look sloppy in your pics. End grain facia is common but unfinished will rot quickly.:). Is that the first time you’ve seen this ?

It’s not your job to “fight this”.

Report your findings and move on. If your client accepts the roofer’s explanation, that is their decision.

With that being said, if you committed yourself to “solve” the issue, call in your own trusted roofer for an evaluation. You do have a trusted roofer in your “Rolo-Dex” don’t you?

[quote=kdolin;702395
Roofer came out and said that strip did not need to be removed and the shingles were adhered properly.

Yes or no on that?[/quote]

Roofer is correct on not needing to remove plastic strip covering adhesive.

[quote=kdolin;702395
Anyone think I should fight this? [/quote]

No.

No more excuses from lazy roofer’s…

http://media.kickstatic.com/kickapps/images/27589/photos/PHOTO_2064782_27589_3144906_main.jpg

No, seen it all before. The end grain was not called out as a fault as much as that it will be an issue in the future for wood rot, of course the pictures cant do the poor workmanship in all the areas of the fascia.

So the call out on the plastic strips is correct? that should have been removed? I saw a ton of "new shingles on the ground after the hurricanes that had those strips still attached.

It becomes my “fight” in that I have to do the re inspection.

Kenneth those strips don’t need to be removed. I agree with Jeffery this is not your fight but I find myself struggling to limit myself sometimes also. You put on the critical eye, meet a customer you get along with and the next thing you know your digging a hole. Have a great Saturday

Ken, take a look here for your answer;
Mastering Roof Inspections: Asphalt Composition Shingles, Part 5

And check out the rest of the Index on Mastering Roof Inspections Library here;

http://www.nachi.org/mastering-roof-inspections.htm :slight_smile:

Marcel, I need to read your Mastering Roof Inspections. Roofing was my first trade and will find your work interesting. Thank you for your time:)

And I agree with Curtis. I have dug many a hole in my time, and probably won’t stop any time soon. Just need to keep perspective and where the line is drawn.

“If you dig a hole three feet in diameter and three feet deep, and fill it back in until it’s only one foot in diameter and one foot deep, what do you have?”

“You still have a hole.”

Think about it. :wink:

Great, Thanks. I love that info, I wish it was in a continuous format though and not in the part by part series. I have been bouncing around sections. Thanks for all your work

Marcel, You’ve got me wondering where all my modified tools are. When I find them I may post some pics. I drilled out an AJC and pressed a magnet into it worked great till you nail your glove to the roof.and then POW , OUCH , &&^$*, LOL.

What in the world is this thread about? It seems to start in the middle of another thread and go nowhere.

It’s about the effect that broken argon gas seals on single pane windows might have on solid concrete block foundations.

Hope this helps.

What are you going to fight? State your concern and move on.

Elk shingle instructions

Elk makes it very clear.
You may have to contact the other manufacturers for clarification.
I would suggest you contact the Realtor and your Client and state you may have been mistaken and as long as the roofer puts in writing that everything is OK and gives a warranty, you are done.

I will make a reply on the strips.
Remember do not use me for your report I am up in Canada.
I never take off the strips.
They are part of the packaging to stop the shingles from sticking together after they have been processes and shipped.
There is a load of 15 packs that can be stacked high before any antistick strips start to fail.
They melt after the sun has worked them .
I well give you what I have whiteness 2 times only and not yet licensed… Some roofers in Canada will remove the strips of plastic on cold weather days below 0 Cecilius or 32 Fahrenheit.
Only big contractors I worked with YEARS AGO practiced this to make sure there is adhesion for winter is onset and to make sure the shingles tabs do not blow off during bad weather…

Holly Crap Mr.Cyr.
I did not expect that. I truly did not. I am going to say thank you.
If I could only get around for information and on computers like yourself I would truly be satisfied with that achievement in my life time, Mr.Cyr.
Humbled again.

Wow. that was a great read. Thanks for posting this Marcel.

Yes it certainly was a great read.