Ridge Cap Shingles over Ridge Vent

I have come across a few roofs where the roofer laid ridge cap shingles continuously over the ridge vent without stopping. The shingles went up and over the end of the ridge vent , across and down the other end. I am looking for some technical literature approving this method. I found the attached photo on the internet showing this issue.

gu60-01_lg.jpg

Randy I don’t think you will!

I see it all the time. Its a non issue for me.

http://www.airvent.com/pdf/installation/ShingleOverFilteredRVInstSht.pdf

Used and installed like the picture many times Randy.

http://www.airvent.com/homeowner/products/ridgeVents-shingleVent.shtml:)

You can do it that way. I didn’t when I did mine, as I ran the ridge vent all the way across the roof and to the end. I just didn’t cut the decking at the ends or at the valley connection. They make a piece that fits in the end to seal it.

Point being that Randy is saying is you will not find it as a standard way of doing it.
You must follow the exact instructions in order to have a warranty.
The Instructions clearly show how it is to be installed and requires an end cap like Eric is pointing out.
Small print under warranty of 5 years
ridge vent has been installed in strict accordance with Air Vent’s written installation instructions

Here is a video link showing the ridge cap shingles going up over and down over the ends of the ridge vent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRljTkjF5n4

It may be a local requirement to prevent the ends from coming up, although I didn’t see that anywhere on my instructions.

That is a pretty poorly installed roof! I saw at least ten popped nails in the field.

Here is a better video. At the end, they show the capped off edge.

I have seen poped nails also and I will dig up a picture of what we see here. This ridge cap goes all the way to the edge and has an end cap.
I only mention to put silicon on the exposed nails but we don’t have the wind secure requirement here.

479 River Rd Sept 6 2012 122.JPG

There are various types of ridge vents all with there own instructions for installation.
The one in the picture in the first post is using this.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/$(KGrHqR,!n4F!Fr+jsU+BQR7y8cn9g~~60_1.JPG?set_id=8800005007

No end caps used with this type and running it to the end of the gable end is a preference of the installer.
In the case of the picture, they stopped short and still works. It now becomes an esthetic thing.
Other types, you run to the gable or stop short of and install a cap by the manufacturer.
I have installed both ways. :slight_smile:

If it is that type Marcel than I would agree! I can’t tell from the picture.

Is that the type that uses no plastic cap, just the mesh? If so, it is inferior to the ones that use the plastic supported piece, then the mesh inside.
I inspected a home recently and one of the complaints from the tenants, was the fact that during the summer, the cold water was hot for some time and the a/c never worked. When I got into the attic, there were all the plumbing pipes. The insulation was also run all the way up to the end of the attic, blocking every single soffit vent. Then, the ridge vent was installed like the one in the picture and of the type you show in your picture.

In some areas, they actually shingled over the cut-out in the roof.

The overheating of the attic, probably had something to do with the last two pictures, which might have something to do with the a/c issue.

I moved the insulation out of the way to allow the air to at least flow into the attic. I recommended that the ridge vent be replaced and installed properly, there was only about 10 feet of vent that might be functioning, and to replace the duct work. This home had both quiet flex and owl-flex duct work, and I suspect, at one time, polybutylene plumbing that had been replaced.

This inspection was done on a cool day in the morning and the attic temperature was already at 100 degrees.

Yes, not the preferred type.
But the type seen in the picture.
What I posted was one of the very first to come out. Now there are too many to mention here. :slight_smile:

How can you tell Marcel! I looked at it 3 times and seen that it is too high on the end for that type however I am willing to change if you can explain different.

I don’t have to explain anything, I have installed these products.
How many have you installed, I should not have to explain if you’ve done it before.
There are only so many pictures that I can find.
I’ve only had a didgital camera for 12 years.

Not questioning your ability Marcel it is the picture that is all.
http://www.tamko.com/Libraries/Documents_-_Application_Instructions/TAMKO®_Rapid_Ridge®_Sell_Sheet.pdf
This type has a very low profile.

That’s how shingle-over ridge vents are done in Port St. Lucie, FL.

It won’t be as effective as a plastic ridge cap with baffles, but as long as it allows hot air to escape the attic and is installed in such a way that the cap shingles will remain in place and not fail prematurely due to nails of insufficient length or over-driving I wouldn’t call it a defective condition.