roof shape

so does anyone have a technical name for a reverse pitched roof that funnel all the run off toward a shingle drain in a parapet wall?

“inadequate” comes to mind for your region

my 2-cents…
low slope roof design can drain toward edge(s) or internal locations
two or more drain points required, depending on drained area, when drains or scuppers are used and not drained into a gutter
if the rake edge followed the same slope the style would be “butterfly” type but those usually have an acute valley “V” shape

modeling tool: http://www.firestonebpco.com/whatsnew/companynews/roofgenuity/

a few descriptions of low slope components: http://www.posislope.com/product1.html

Good info Mr Adair! How ya been?

I got to admit, I do not know the technical term for " wrong".

From the picture I would call it a flat roof with internal drain.

“leak waiting to happen”

How did they attached that fence / gate to the roof?

butterfly roof

As Barry mentioned the angle does not say butterfly ,however I see many flat roofs with this degree of slope towards the edges.
The only difference is it is very narrow as illustrated.

It is simply a built up flat roof…

How can any of you say it’s wrong?
Ever look down when your flying over a city? These things are all over the place…
Ever hear of “too much pitch” on a flat roof? Often not enough, never too much.

So long as the drain is properly sized, this “small” roof with a heavy pitch will get the water off the roof in fast order (which it is supposed to do).

I’m more concerned with the electrical wire clearance with the roof…

The drain could have been upgraded to a “Siphonic drain” making the water speed up as it exits the roof through the drain. Look above the ceiling tiles and if you see it run horizontal for some distance it may have been an upgraded drain to reflect this buildup of the roof.
The drain cover sometimes can give you a clue also.:smiley:
www.siphonicdrain.com

Butterfly roof has two planes, each of which is flat. This roof slopes in from all three sides visible. It’s basically a flat roof with slope framed in for drainage.

That one looks to need a kickout

What it really needed was to not have penetrations at the low point. It’s a leaker.

I imagine that chimney gets slammed from 3 sides.

I took that photo from the neighbor’s porch. They told me that it sold recently. Sellers re-did the roof and the water-damaged hardwood floors. Buyer moved in and the roof continued to leak.

It’s a leak-prone design even without the penetrations at the low point, and not like it’s a thing of beauty. It looks like a broken piece of plywood.

That’s probably the best designed flat roof i’ve ever seen . I think most flat rooves are too flat .:D:D:D

Rooves? I think your dog has a lisp! :mrgreen:

Yeah , I notice . Thanks for the tuneup Jeff . :D:D:D