Roof Sheathing Question

Hey guys I am new in the game and located in New Jersey. I was looking at a home today that had vaulted ceilings in every single room of the home with no insulation anywhere. There was a small attic crawl space located in the direct center of the home that ran through from one side of the house to the other. My first though was that I have never seen any sheathing like this anywhere around here before. 9 times out of 10 out here roof sheathing is OSB or plywood. This was like a particle board or compressed type of board. Considering I have never seen this before is this normal? Is it ok? Wouldn’t it blow up the second it gets even a little wet? My second question was about insulation. Is it needed with this type of sheathing or even recommended? Should I recommend anything at all? Thanks in advance to the nice people out there :slight_smile:

PS sorry for the sideways picture. It is saved right side up, it is uploaded right side up but then it posts sideways :-/

I don’t have a definitive answer you for.
I’ve seen vaulted ceilings like that in 50’s & 60’s homes.
There were panels installed over the tongue & groove decking.
Or there’s this TECTUM E & TECTUM E-N | Armstrong Building Solutions

That is an insulated roof sheeting product that was usually 4 inches thick and made of pressed wood fibers, can’t remember the name off hand. Was used for commercial buildings and open rafter ceilings like in your picture. I believe it came in 4x8 to 4x16 foot sheets. Standard roof coating was applied on the top. Just consider it to be plywood on steroids.

Don Hawley CPI
Hawley Home Inspections LLC

DonHawley575@gmail.com
Licensed Radon Professional
Licensed Home Inspector

For next time Image Rotation and How to Control It

Thank you all very much :slight_smile: and thanks Chuck