roof vent question???

I understood that roof vents were installed 2ft down from ridge and only on one side of the roof because they would be fighting each other if they were on both sides of the roof, is that correct or does it not matter. I have tried to search for a definite answer and it seems as if I only come up with opinions. Can anyone help me out here, thanks

They are on one side of the roof for ease of installation and to be hidden for aesthetic reasons. It would actually be better to have them on both sides but “that’s the way we have always done it” attitude dies hard. If installed on opposite sides of the roof, they should not be directly across from each other but should be staggered. That way air won’t go in one roof vent and out the other side, thereby defeating the vents at the lower portion of the roof.

1 Like

Ok that clears things up, I could not find any reasoning of installation but staggering them make sense

It’s called a short circuit. And I am answering the roof vent question. :wink:

If there is a consistent wind direction they should be placed on the leeward side.

I was trying to start my own thread but couldn’t figure out how to do so I also have questions about roof vents on a house that I saw recently and took pictures of never seen vents installed a foot from the eve laterally like a ridge vent.

![IMG_20210429_204544|665x499](upload://rd3MGUaZ14yQHOIVDDRL5kWe8mC .jpeg)

I believe your are looking at a shingle over rooftop vent.

1 Like

It looks like David has it:

I have only seen it once before and that was on a colonial style home with no soffits.

1 Like