seperate roof inspector?

How many use separate certified roofing contractors to do their roof inspection? I used to but was paying $50 for that and $35 for WDO so I was giving $85 away per ins.

Thanks for any feedback!

Jonathan Wilhelm

Is this a Florida thing?

In my opinion, home inspectors are the most qualified professionals to inspect a roof.

Not a Florida thing.

I personally do the roof inspections myself. I have hired contractors to do it in the past, however, I felt their inspection was a little rushed and the report that I was provided at the end was typically very brief and unprofessional (just my experiences). I prefer to have the Realtors and my Clients see me spend time physically on the roof and then I provide a very detailed roof report within my HI report. I personally feel that you should walk the roof (if safe). This is the best way to inspect all appurtenances, valleys, possible limb abrasions, and overall condition of shingles, tiles (chips, tears, scuffs, broken edges, fasteners in wrong places, rusted or exposed fasteners, etc. I just can’t get all this information (for the entire roof) from the ladder. Strictly speaking for myself, there is no adequate substitute for walking the roof when a safe environment exists.

Contractors are not neutral third parties and will be glad to fix what they find. A basic roof inspection should be well within the capabilities of a home inspector, but you have to take the courses. InterNACHI has roof courses that will qualify you to do steep slope, residential roof inspections with confidence once you’ve passed the courses.