Why here?

Any idea why someone would install drip edge on top of the shingles? :shock: 5600 sq ft on over 3 acres-really nice place, but lousy shingle job and drip edge around the entire perimeter on top of the shingles.

P1030180.JPG

P1030180.JPG

P1030205.JPG

To make the roof edge look perty.

They couldn’t figure out how to “properly” hide the number of shingle layers?:p:mrgreen::smiley:

lol Chris, you must have been to that area of the state!! :|.) The rows on one of the sections are “concaved” instead of straight, 4 or 5 inches out in 60 feet or so.

I see it all the time, who knows why lol

Mike,
Were you able to determine if the “required” positioned edging was there, and this was an additional layer added for wind-lift protection?

Jeffrey, there is one section that has drip edge under the shingles, but the shingles are about 3/4 inch shy of covering the drip edge. I didn’t think to look if there is proper drip edge under the “top of the shingle” drip edge. I think you may be on to something about wind-lift, but I have never seen it before. That’s the only thing that makes sense.

It was just such a lousy shingle job I figured some high school kids were hired to install the shingles and simply didn’t know where to put the dripedge. What you say makes more sense, since it is on top of mountain with beautiful views, and probably some high winds.

I still wrote it up as a defect. If they were for wind lift, they should have been sealed to the shingles, instead of simply nailed every 3 feet or so…

Actually, this is quite common in no part of the country, ever.
It’s baffling that the owner has allowed it to be this way.
SMH!

…then you need to get out more!

I have seen this practice in at least two separate states (1,000+ miles apart), and in many cases, it was the homeowner that added the overlaying flashing based upon advice received from GC’s and roofers.

Your answer is above. Who installed this roof?

no idea who installed the roof. Looks like maybe a High School for the vision impaired??? It is not original, because it appears newer than 1980, when the house was built. I would guess the shingles to be 7-10 yrs old. The house has been vacant for 2 years, belongs to a doctor who lives in Atlanta, comes to the house and stays 2 or 3 weeks a year.

The wind up-lift fix makes the most sense, though I don’t agree with the method…

God! I like this Brother !
He does have a way with words.

No, the un-permitted, improper installation would be my call.:wink:

No matter how you look at it .
It is still screwed up as a wooded watch.

Yes it is !

Maybe I was too harsh…“unprofessional practices were observed. Multiple patching, improper flashing, and uneven shingle rows were prevalent on the
Southwest wing. Drip edge installed incorrectly on the entire perimeter. Recommend evaluation and repair by a qualified contractor .”

Roy’s comment woulda been much shorter!! :wink:

Several years ago in Colorado, after losing an entire rooftop (trusses and all) on a section of condos, a homeowner association hired me to staple the roof tabs on the face on the entire building. They signed the release acknowledging that this could cause leaks, and they wanted it anyway. Another homeowner nearby had me install his roofing by hand sealing every shingle and then wind nailing it. Wind can be a hard force to try to counter, and sometimes the methods for dealing with it are very unconventional. Another customer on a mountain top had me install premium shingles, designed for 120 mph winds. I nailed it carefully because I knew what it was like, and still had to return twice for wind damage. I suggested to him that he should harness the wind for electricity, and he told me he tried that-but the wind mill blew away-and in that place, I believe it. Men make plans and nature makes decisions.