What would you recommend?

Can’t really tell if the step flashing extends up behind the stone, but it obviously doesn’t extend below the shingles. What would you recommend?

What about the lack of angle iron ledge supporting all that stone? Hope they got the mortar mix correct? If not, that stone will eventually start falling off the wall.

I’d recommend repair by a qualified roofer :slight_smile:

I’ve never seen a dry stack stone that I didn’t write up.

Like this. :roll:

Looks like cultured stone.

The flashing looks backwards at middle right.

Exposed wood.

Good catch Bob, see the exposed wood bottom right. Looks like they need to get a good contractor that knows something as there seems to be a lot more (if you really take everything in) then just step flashing and support. :roll:

I don’t see anything that would be a defect. The man made stone has a weep screed casing and looks like it has been retrofitted after the shingle installation, which has it’s own flashing up against the wall. I don’t see any backwards flashing. Areas of concern would be the exposed building paper and possible missing flashing where the stucco meets the bottom of the stone. Not enough info on the exposed wood trim.

And that was my essay for the stucco course…:smiley:

One of those several jobs a year where I tell them to have a full Ir study.
Looks like they may have even mixed in some drivit.

Adhered Manufactured Stone Veneer (AMSV) does not require additional support at the rake see pg 29
you’re right about the mortar better be excellent…prolly not by what else is apparently done incorrectly

1. improper AMSV install no apparent weep screed or perforated casing bead
  2. incomplete step flashing at the ridge & uncertain of proper step flashing installation at shingles requires verification & any required repair by a competent roofing contractor
  3. parapet flashing is wrong, does not lap properly as required repair by a competent roofing contractor
  4. apron flashing @ standing seam roof is wrong type and should go under & behind the stone repair by a competent roofing contractor
  5. plumbing vent flashing is wrong repair by a competent roofing contractor
  6. all exposed wood surfaces require sealing with stain or paint repair by a competent paint contractor

i might find more on site ;~))

I’m in the asphalt shingle flashing section of the PowerPoint for Vegas. I don’t really care about the stone. The step flashing is installed on top of the shingles, not between them. At the skylight, looks like teh step flashig is installed beneath the shingles, not between them.

Those could be irrelevant as step flashing may have been installed during the roofing. also look at the head flashing for the skylights. Lots going o that’s wrong and so it may give you an indication the step flashing may never really have been installed along the wall. :wink:

My thoughts are the flashing installation was poorly and unprofessionally done and there is concern with potential water intrusion. Also the exposed wood would be of concern and appears to be unfinished and incomplete. So when I observe shoddy and incomplete work it makes me wonder about what I can’t see. So I would have no problem recommending a qualified roofing contractor to further evaluate this installation and to make any corrective repairs as necessary.

Did you mean ****ty or shoddy?

Thanks Frank, I did mean to say “Shoddy” :slight_smile:

Recommend a Qualified Roofing Contractor to repair the flashing at the skylight and stone wall.

The step flashing should not be on top of the shingles, it should have be “woven” in underneath the shingles. Thats clearly a mistake.

As far as support, I do see some sort of angle at the bottom right of the photo above that loose flap of house wrap. You can see it angling up to the left as well. So at least some of the stone appears to be supported. Did they use tie ins as well? Who knows?

At any rate there is plenty there to recommend further evaluation by licensed roofer.