Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Contractors Forum This forum is hosted by InterNACHI for contractors. Remember: InterNACHI members who are also contractors must take particular care to abide by the InterNACHI Code of Ethics.

Old 3/17/17, 5:20 PM
Student Inspector

Default where is the ethical line between contractor and inspector

I am coming out of the contracting world, currently working on getting my license in NH. I do all phases of construction from excavation to roofs to custom cabinetry, I understand that contracting a defect is unethical. But where is the line drawn in terms of bidding on a project. Should I only think about superficial projects (bath or kitchen remodels with no defects present) updating flooring because of aesthetic displeasure? Or completely separate inspection and contracting jobs.

I'm really looking to see what other guys have done starting in inspections. I have little capital to work with, so I was thinking about complimentary construction work I can do until I can establish myself as an inspector, without affecting my future reputation as an inspector.
Need a home inspection in Louisiana? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Louisiana certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 3/18/17, 2:22 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Default Re: where is the ethical line between contractor and inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggiguere View Post
I am coming out of the contracting world, currently working on getting my license in NH. I do all phases of construction from excavation to roofs to custom cabinetry, I understand that contracting a defect is unethical. But where is the line drawn in terms of bidding on a project. Should I only think about superficial projects (bath or kitchen remodels with no defects present) updating flooring because of aesthetic displeasure? Or completely separate inspection and contracting jobs.

I'm really looking to see what other guys have done starting in inspections. I have little capital to work with, so I was thinking about complimentary construction work I can do until I can establish myself as an inspector, without affecting my future reputation as an inspector.
https://www.nachi.org/code_of_ethics.htm

Jeffrey R. Jonas
Owatonna, Minnesota

"I am not a teacher, but an awakener."
- Robert Frost, American poet (1874-1963).

"We Respect Our Clients Right to Privacy"

Old 3/18/17, 2:26 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Simple. If you inspect a house, you or any company you have a financial interest in cannot work on the home for 1 year. Period. Very simple. Many licensed states have this rule.

Stephen Stanczyk
Washington State Licensed Home Inspector # 221
President, Washington Association of Property Inspectors (WAPI)
(253) 241-0602 calls answered until 10pm

Pierce County -Thurston County - King County - Kitsap County
Old 10/30/17, 11:47 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

As both a builder and an inspector, I use a class code on my contacts.
A client can be either a construction client or an inspection client.
They can never be both, you are either one or the other.
After a year, an inspection client becomes classed as an "expired" inspection client and becomes eligible for construction activities.
It keeps it easy for marketing purposes.
Old 10/30/17, 1:06 PM
Certified Master Inspector

Several years back I was also an insulation contractor and had to distance myself and take a financial hit because I chose to not do work on or bid homes I inspected. (In my state it would not be illegal, but ethically it would not be correct under my own standards as well as interNACHI's C of E)...

Ultimately you will probably find setting the standard now will help you be known as an inspector that is ethical and honest.

On a Related Note: I also find it a conflict of interest as well as Wrong for a State to require an inspection on your Automobile by the same outfit that is going to "Repair the Problems" THEY found".....(This is actually the reason most states have dropped annual inspections as a requirement for registration. (Utah just dropped starting Jan. 1 2018... It Harms the consumer more than helps.
Old 11/25/17, 1:41 PM

Quote:

It becomes easier to understand the reason for the ethics prohibition if you think about it this way.

Do you do the inspection for the purpose of pitching repair work? If so... that is the violation.

Cheers

Doug Cossar
InterNachi Lifetime Member
National Home Inspector NHICC00503
Retired and living the dream!
Old 11/30/17, 8:25 PM

I am in a position like this. We are a top vendor for mold remediation and cleaning. But I cannot touch anything I inspect for 12 months. We bid on projects otherwise, seamlessly. But if I have been there for an inspection prior to 12 months being up, its a no go.

What you can do, is market to other inspectors. Specially, if you can find one that installs radon systems or does some other niche type service or even another that also does contracting. I share work with another inspector that does this. He sends me inspections and mold remediation jobs and I send him all the radon mitigation needs I find on inspections.

Many of my competitors send me mold work from their inspections. You can also market to realtors heavily as it is hard to find service providers. You will get a lot of work outside of inspections.

Your competitors become some of your best marketing. I send nearly 50 radon jobs per year to the inspector that does radon mitigation installs. It works really well and makes up for the lost revenue of not being able to bid projects that I find because he feeds me as well.
Old 12/6/17, 1:01 PM

Quote:

Here's the secret, once you experience the wealth effect associated with being a home inspector your contractor goals will be eclipsed by the need to find the time to spend the money.

Yes, I'd personally choose a CMI every time over every other inspector. ~ Nick Gromicko, InterNACHI Founder

Certified Master Inspector - 2010
Florida Licensed Home Inspector - HI176
Florida Licensed Mold Assessor - MRSA208

Square-One Inspection "Assurance begins here"
Old 12/10/17, 3:23 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Another thing to consider is when a client asks you “would you buy this house?” I have a standard response and it comes up surprisingly often. Your client is looking for a professional opinion not based upon your needs, but theirs. You wanna carry on with contracting then look for another avenue for clients.. and have a good reference or two you are prepared to pass along. it’s a conflict of interest to report (document) a potential problem and then offer to fixer up!
That is of course, unless your a termite inspector..