Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

HomeGauge This is a place for HomeGauge customers to discuss HomeGauge software and services, and prospective HomeGauge customers to ask questions and get advice about picking home inspection software and services.

Old 12/27/17, 8:09 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Default Re: Homegauge behaving like Porch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmassey View Post
Why would they think I would ever do that? It's absolutely none of their business what's in my agreement.
Lead brokers that sell private data to others guarantee that use of the lead that they sell does not violate state telemarketing laws. Accordingly, they require language in the contracts from their lead sources that release them and future owners of the lead from liability should they ever be reported to governing entities. The language that they require in your agreements goes with the lead when it is sold, assuring the purchaser that the lead is "clean".
Need a home inspection in Indiana? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Indiana certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 12/27/17, 8:19 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbushart View Post
Lead brokers that sell private data to others guarantee that use of the lead that they sell does not violate state telemarketing laws. Accordingly, they require language in the contracts from their lead sources that release them and future owners of the lead from liability should they ever be reported to governing entities. The language that they require in your agreements goes with the lead when it is sold, assuring the purchaser that the lead is "clean".
Well put J.B..So looks like prep work to be like Porch and tailor HG fees so that you are prodded to sell the company Client info in exchange for the lowest tier pricing while in the future raising the fees for non compliance...I have no idea but think that is a possible scenario if contracts are being forced IMO ......Study Home Hub zone pattern of fee structure from inception to when they were sold.Anyway I am concerned for this merging of Inspector software or other Vendors depended on in the community being sold to ..information brokers..Not my software so will stay out of it from now on here.
Old 12/27/17, 8:50 PM
Certified Master Inspector

Send a message via Yahoo to jfunderburk

I don't see the big deal. It is THEIR software, by the way. However, I don't want my clients to think I'm selling them out. So I added to the wording:

PRIVACY: The following text is required by OUR software provider: "In providing the property inspection and inspection report, information about CLIENT, US, CLIENT'S agent, and property will be collected and input into the HomeGauge inspection software and services, which WE use to produce the inspection report.. This information may include personally identifiable information about the CLIENT, US, and CLIENT'S agent. This information may subsequently be used by the provider of HomeGauge, as set out in the HomeGauge Privacy Policy found at HomeGauge - Error. Inspectors may choose to use this information to market new or related products and services to CLIENT." Note: At the time of the signing of this Agreement, WE do not use CLIENT information to market any other products or provide to 3rd party vendors!"

“The things that will destroy America are peace at any price,
prosperity at any cost, safety first instead of duty first,
the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.”
T. Roosevelt

Joe Funderburk, CBO, CMI
Alpha & Omega Home Inspections, LLC
Inspecting Upstate SC & Charlotte Metro, NC
Angie's List Super Award Winner 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010.
Ph: 704-351-1776
www.aohomeinspection.com

Last edited by jfunderburk; 12/27/17 at 9:27 PM..
Old 12/27/17, 8:54 PM
Certified Master Inspector (CMI)

Our home inspection business prides itself on not sharing our client's information with outside parties. I'm definitely not including a clause in our agreement that says otherwise. We've got four inspectors using HomeGauge now that will have to change to other software. This was not a good idea.

Nonprofit Home Inspections
4127 NE 57th Avenue
Portland, Oregon 97218

Portland Home Inspection
Home Inspection Vancouver WA
Home Inspection Eugene Oregon
Old 12/27/17, 9:14 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by clewis3 View Post
Our home inspection business prides itself on not sharing our client's information with outside parties. I'm definitely not including a clause in our agreement that says otherwise. We've got four inspectors using HomeGauge now that will have to change to other software. This was not a good idea.
Neither will I. What will HomeGauge do if the majority of subscribers just say NO?
Old 12/27/17, 9:22 PM
Registered InterNACHI Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfunderburk View Post
I don't see the big deal. It is THEIR software, by the way. However, I don't want my clients to think I'm selling them out. So I added to the wording:

PRIVACY: The following text is required by OUR software provider: "In providing the property inspection and inspection report, information about CLIENT, US, CLIENT'S agent, and property will be collected and input into the HomeGauge inspection software and services, which WE use to produce the inspection report.. This information may include personally identifiable information about the CLIENT, US, and CLIENT'S agent. this information may subsequently be used by the provider of HomeGauge, as set out in the HomeGauge Privacy Policy found at ]www.homegauge.com/privacy.htm. Inspectors may choose to use this information to market new or related products and services to CLIENT." Note: At the time of the signing of this Agreement, WE do not use CLIENT information to market any other products!"
Best post of this thread! I have been over at the HG FB users group and many of your concerns are over there too. I have responded to many of them. Here we have a few non HG users who are piling on and I am not going to spend a lot of time with them. To the red letter reference...please read the privacy policy found at HomeGauge Updated Terms of Use and Privacy Policy it says if you don't opt in to a program the buyers info stays put. Lets leave that period there and move on to another objection. We are not after leads. my parent company has billions and they are not trying to sell leads to anyone...We are a 3rd party to the report. We have the buyers info because of this and the buyer should have full disclosure. We also have many different inspectors who has other vendors they use besides just HomeGauge. We have inspector who don't opt in to any programs at all yet they allow the vendors to have access to their customer through call centers, scheduling, report delivery and post delivery.

Somewhere around Jan 10th or later we will prompt you when you upload the report and ask you if you put this in your agreement. If you say yes, we are covered. Either you have to add it or say you did, or your buyer will have to agree to it before they view their report hosted by a 3rd party. Its all about disclosure. Times are changing and now the inspector runs a risk just by using other vendors in the inspection scheduling, reporting, delivery and post delivery process. Whether you opt in to a particular vendor or not. This clause will protect you. As an inspector myself I can also add to the clause too such as Currently I only offer my customers the abc program. Or Currently I do not offer any programs for my customer. If you get called or contracted it was NOT from me or with my consent. ...so you can even protect yourself and keep from being wrongly named. Just like HG wants to do the same.
HomeGauge Updated Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

Russell Buchanan
HomeGauge COO
NC licensed Home Inspector
NC licensed General Contractor

You can now import HIP, 3D, & InspectVue templates!

Compare software! See the difference!
Subscription offer $59 a month for HG Desktop, HG Companion (Android or ios) and HG Services.

Old 12/27/17, 9:26 PM

I see it this way. HG bought out by a E & O company and Russell no longer in charge.

I have been a dinosaur at my inspection planning, thoughts, business and reporting lately. This email from HG is a kick in my pants to make some positive changes for the new year.

I have the necessary steps in place and planned out.

I already switched my website host from HG. (happy with this move so far)
I have always stayed in contact with Dominic and updated my HIP software to the current version.

Now I just need to make some more changes to accommodate the millenniums and I know what I need to do.

Thanks HG for the kick in the pants to start off the new year with a better prospective.
Old 12/27/17, 9:31 PM

Rather then add another whole page of 3rd party disclaimers to my PIA I'm just going to add a link to their privacy policy.

Ken Brittain, CPI
Home Vue Inspection Services, llc
Inspecting Charlotte, Concord & Surrounding Cities
InterNACHI 11071502 NCHILB 3262
704-455-0482

Old 12/27/17, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstanczyk View Post
Wow. I can just see it now.

All the other tool manufacturers will require language in your contract so they can't be sued in case you failed to use their tool correctly and get sued by your client.

I am great friends with Dominic but if he were to require something like this in HIP I would tell him to shove it where the sun doesn't shine and drop him and his product like rock. While I am required to put certain language in my contract by State law, NOBODY, I repeat, NOBODY, no individual, no company, and especially NO VENDOR will tell me what I am required to put in MY contract with MY client.

F.O.A.D. to all these vendors.
Yep!

http://www.alltropic.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Awards Committee Member
SUBMIT YOUR AWARD NOMINATIONS HERE

The InterNACHI Awards Committee is the final
authority of issuance of any award the committee offers.
Old 12/27/17, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbuchanan1 View Post
Best post of this thread! I have been over at the HG FB users group and many of your concerns are over there too. I have responded to many of them. Here we have a few non HG users who are piling on and I am not going to spend a lot of time with them. To the red letter reference...please read the privacy policy found at HomeGauge Updated Terms of Use and Privacy Policy it says if you don't opt in to a program the buyers info stays put. Lets leave that period there and move on to another objection. We are not after leads. my parent company has billions and they are not trying to sell leads to anyone...We are a 3rd party to the report. We have the buyers info because of this and the buyer should have full disclosure. We also have many different inspectors who has other vendors they use besides just HomeGauge. We have inspector who don't opt in to any programs at all yet they allow the vendors to have access to their customer through call centers, scheduling, report delivery and post delivery.

Somewhere around Jan 10th or later we will prompt you when you upload the report and ask you if you put this in your agreement. If you say yes, we are covered. Either you have to add it or say you did, or your buyer will have to agree to it before they view their report hosted by a 3rd party. Its all about disclosure. Times are changing and now the inspector runs a risk just by using other vendors in the inspection scheduling, reporting, delivery and post delivery process. Whether you opt in to a particular vendor or not. This clause will protect you. As an inspector myself I can also add to the clause too such as Currently I only offer my customers the abc program. Or Currently I do not offer any programs for my customer. If you get called or contracted it was NOT from me or with my consent. ...so you can even protect yourself and keep from being wrongly named. Just like HG wants to do the same.
HomeGauge Updated Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
What happens when one of our clients refuse to sign our agreement after reading the disclosure? And I'm confident that will happen.
Old 12/27/17, 9:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to jfunderburk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccurrins View Post
What happens when one of our clients refuse to sign our agreement after reading the disclosure? And I'm confident that will happen.
Believe me, I have other disclaimers in my PIA that will give clients more heartburn and a greater reason to refuse to sign. I've had clients question my PIA, want to edit my PIA, but in 15 years I've never had one refuse to sign when push came to shove. If they did, I wouldn't do the inspection. Period.

See my edit of the disclosure above. It's reasonable.

“The things that will destroy America are peace at any price,
prosperity at any cost, safety first instead of duty first,
the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.”
T. Roosevelt

Joe Funderburk, CBO, CMI
Alpha & Omega Home Inspections, LLC
Inspecting Upstate SC & Charlotte Metro, NC
Angie's List Super Award Winner 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010.
Ph: 704-351-1776
www.aohomeinspection.com

Old 12/27/17, 9:38 PM
Certified Master Inspector (CMI)

We have been using HomeGauge for three years and for four inspectors. I've been recommending HomeGauge to tons of students coming through our home inspector training program (and getting them set up with six months free use to get them hooked). If I have to put this language in our agreement, not only will I change software for all of our inspectors, but I will actively campaign against HomeGauge software. As this is written, HomeGauge's owners (American Family Insurance) will be given information about my client's homes. That's unacceptable. I am going to add this fact to my marketing plan as well to point out that any inspector that uses HomeGauge is giving away their client's information. Not giving away our client's information sets us apart from the franchises and other companies. There is zero chance we will use HomeGauge software if we have to include this language in our agreement.

Nonprofit Home Inspections
4127 NE 57th Avenue
Portland, Oregon 97218

Portland Home Inspection
Home Inspection Vancouver WA
Home Inspection Eugene Oregon
Old 12/27/17, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clewis3 View Post
We have been using HomeGauge for three years and for four inspectors. I've been recommending HomeGauge to tons of students coming through our home inspector training program (and getting them set up with six months free use to get them hooked). If I have to put this language in our agreement, not only will I change software for all of our inspectors, but I will actively campaign against HomeGauge software. As this is written, HomeGauge's owners (American Family Insurance) will be given information about my client's homes. That's unacceptable. I am going to add this fact to my marketing plan as well to point out that any inspector that uses HomeGauge is giving away their client's information. Not giving away our client's information sets us apart from the franchises and other companies. There is zero chance we will use HomeGauge software if we have to include this language in our agreement.
I bet American Family Insurances' attorneys would love to see you making false statements about their home inspection software company. Please share this with us when you add this to your marketing literature. I bet their attorneys have a bigger budget that yours does.

Linas Dapkus
Dapkus Home Inspections

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
TRUMP/PENCE 2020

"There is nothing more frightening than a man with a gun and nothing more helpless than a man without one..."
Need a home inspection in Indiana? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Indiana certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 12/27/17, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfunderburk View Post
Believe me, I have other disclaimers in my PIA that will give clients more heartburn and a greater reason to refuse to sign. I've had clients question my PIA, want to edit my PIA, but in 15 years I've never had one refuse to sign when push came to shove. If they did, I wouldn't do the inspection. Period.

See my edit of the disclosure above. It's reasonable.
All your add-on verbiage says is that you, your company, doesn't use your clients personal information. In the same paragraph it says that HomeGauge Services may use their personal information, meaning that it will. That's the part I do not like at all.
Old 12/27/17, 9:58 PM

I saw a wave of HG users switching to HIP at the Safety Harbour FABI conference last summer. I imagine that will cascade into a sunami after this debacle goes full swing.

Dave Fetty Certified Master Inspector
Florida Home Inspection And Property Services LLC
www.FHIAPS.COM
www.NaplesBestInspector.com
www.FortMyersInspector.com
Naples, Marco Island, Ft. Myers, Bonita Springs, Estero, Cape Coral
Dfetty@FHIAPS.COM
http://https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flori...2450912?ref=hl
Florida Radon Measurement Technician R2547
(239)339-7380