Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

HomeGauge This is a place for HomeGauge customers to discuss HomeGauge software and services, and prospective HomeGauge customers to ask questions and get advice about picking home inspection software and services.

Old 2/23/18, 10:03 AM
Registered InterNACHI Vendor

Default Re: Homegauge Bug and Gripe Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfunderburk View Post
Russell, I'll be distressed to see the "Send Letter" feature removed from the desktop software. Your statement that "All the communication between your customer, agent happens online" is simply not true.

Example:

1) When I book I job, I send a letter using a template I created to the client and the agent BEFORE they ever log in to accept the agreement. It stresses the importances of doing certain things like having the utilities turned on. That is an email I like to keep should an issue arise. I really don't want to be hogtied into using your website to send a letter to my clients. I like the current program in that it extracts custom details like address, name, inspection date, etc. from the report data.

2) When I book a job, about half the time I also schedule a pest inspector to meet me at the job. Again, I use the report data to extract important details into a form letter that I email to the pest contractor company. Takes me 30 seconds to schedule a pest inspection. I don't want to have to go through the Homegauge website to do that.

3) Ditto above, but with a radon measurement company if I have to sub that out.

4) Ditto above for collection letters.

5) Ditto above for letters I send out after each job thanking the client and agent for their business.

Again, I don't want those personal communications to go through your website...I want it to come from me and be done easily by integration with my default email program.

How hard could it possibly be to integrate a user's default email to replace the outdated Outlook method that currently exists? I go to lots of websites that have an "email me" link and when I click it it opens my default email program (gmail). Voila.
All of that above can be done with your letter head using the online appointment manager (except for collections). Or you can use your email reader. There are so many different email readers that to try to put that in the report writer doesnt make sense.

Russell Buchanan
HomeGauge COO
NC licensed Home Inspector
NC licensed General Contractor

You can now import HIP, 3D, & InspectVue templates!

Compare software! See the difference!
Subscription offer $59 a month for HG Desktop, HG Companion (Android or ios) and HG Services.

Need a home inspection in Alabama? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Alabama certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 2/23/18, 10:10 AM
Registered InterNACHI Vendor

Quote:
Yes you did upgrade the desktop software in 2016. And your team disregarded all the bug issues and annoyances I sent them long before the desktop program was revised. How long has it been since they put out a minor patch to fix known bugs and make minor improvements? Why must we wait years and years to get crap like "Requires MS Outlook" fixed?

Regarding HG Companion, it was really just a slightly different user interface. Nothing new behind the curtain. And it's plenty buggy (see above), which means your team is lousy at testing a revision before its release.
Thank you Joe. I don't think we disregarded genuine bugs. We are due for an update and are working on it. We do test a revision but I admit, with so many deep level features it is a daunting task. We don't think Android HGC is as buggy as you do as thousands a day are using it successfully. We do have a list of things to fix and are working towards that.

@Dom from Fla. The spell check is in the built in editor which is a large 3rd party component. To replace it is major and will be replaced in version 6.

Russell Buchanan
HomeGauge COO
NC licensed Home Inspector
NC licensed General Contractor

You can now import HIP, 3D, & InspectVue templates!

Compare software! See the difference!
Subscription offer $59 a month for HG Desktop, HG Companion (Android or ios) and HG Services.

Old 2/25/18, 1:38 AM
Community Guest

Ok. how bout all the wasted white space in the program. one item per line in in smart words.

10 inch tablet. several of the screens do not fit and you cannot scroll to get to the ok buttons. Painful.

terrible search features in the global template.

no global template painful.

no linux or mac version. why is that. I am stuck with windows 10 adware
operating system only because we are hg users.

cannot lock the global template for multiple inspector company. my guys can change at will an I would not know or be able to control

only can push 5 reports to the cloud at a time. Some days we have 8-10 inspections. i use the cloud to transfer from tablet to laptop and I am always knocking someone else's report off

we upload a separate summary because agents demand it and do not want to forward or print out the full report. the build repair list can be clicked but does not work.

we upload or did upload radon reports. however on android devices they will not open regardless of the software we use to create them. Support just blew me off on this and said they could open them. I will gladly show you that that is not so as many agents have complained. the crl features is great as long as you upload the way hg forces. it makes you own software look bad.

I do not intent to include your privacy statement per your lawyers. as i do not give any permissions to have 3rd party vendors access to my customer. my people hate that stuff.

the list goes on and on.

it saves very slow and moves from section to section very slow on tablets with atom processors. i admit this could be the hardware.

not very good for use with multi inspector firms. making each inspector have a space or account to upload. then my office personal have to login as them anytime a customer has a question. so we pay for each inspector but only use one account. painful. i understand disk space cost but please charge and give me choices.

report merge still does not integrate blank customer to report with customer. painful.

I am not meaning to hurt feelings but you do not update or fix bugs like other companies in the 21st century.

many other bugs i just can't catch them and have tried to voice them before but Russell sometime gets defensive and often nothing happens.

I remember when HG was the boss but I am sad to have the opinion that they have somewhat gotten away from their core software as they move to customer data collection. the software could be so much more.
sorry for spelling and grammar late and tired. should be able to understand from context.
Old 2/25/18, 8:28 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Quote:
HG used to have a report preview mode that displayed the HTML report with page breaks in a full page view. I really liked that as it was easy to see if I needed to modify something, like maybe the cover page was too big and ran into 2 pages. Preview also allowed me to get a grasp on whether the image sizes and placement was appropriate. All gone now. Sad.
There may be hope yet. HomeHubZone has a report preview that allows you to go in and edit the narrative sections (Item, Concern, Location, Impact, Suggested Action, and OtherInformation) and save it as a one-off, new comment, or as an amendment to the default. I'm lobbying hard for that function to include editing the annotations and captions for the photos. That would so rock.

William Bruce Ogletree
Ogletree Inspection Services

214-287-4630
www.ogletreehi.com
ogletreehi@gmail.com
Old 2/25/18, 11:04 PM
Certified Master Inspector

I may be missing something BUT when I wanta know something looks ... I simply go to the print preview ????

Dan Bowers, CMI
Licensed Contractor / Builder
Certified IAQ2 Mold Inspector
Licensed HVAC Service Technician
EDI Certified Stucco / EIFS Inspector
Certified Commercial Building Inspector
iNACHI – US Member of the Year 2010
ITC / FLIR - Level I Infrared Thermographer
FHA - 203k Inspector / Compliance Inspector
ICC Code Inspector (Plmbg, Elec, Mech, Bldg)
Old 2/25/18, 11:12 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbowers View Post
I may be missing something BUT when I wanta know something looks ... I simply go to the print preview ????
Same here, using two monitors side by side. Review the report on one and make changes on the other, easy peasy.
Old 2/26/18, 9:54 AM

Nice idea, gents, and one I will try out. Not practical if you are trying to finish the report in the field though (which is, admittedly, extremely rare)

HHZ has come tantalizingly close to making it a one-screen proposition. I just hope they take it all the way.

William Bruce Ogletree

214-287-4630
www.ogletreehi.com
ogletreehi@gmail.com
Old 3/1/18, 9:02 PM
Certified Master Inspector

Send a message via Yahoo to jfunderburk

Modify your template on the PC. Close the software. Upload the template to the cloud. Suck down the new template to HGC. Do the report, send it all back to the PC. Get informed that "the template used to create this report has been modified since the report was created..." Basically, the software is using an old template.

Happens intermittently.

“The things that will destroy America are peace at any price,
prosperity at any cost, safety first instead of duty first,
the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.”
T. Roosevelt

Joe Funderburk, CBO, CMI
Alpha & Omega Home Inspections, LLC
Inspecting Upstate SC & Charlotte Metro, NC
Angie's List Super Award Winner 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010.
Ph: 704-351-1776
www.aohomeinspection.com

Old 3/2/18, 11:20 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccurrins View Post
Same here, using two monitors side by side. Review the report on one and make changes on the other, easy peasy.
OMG lol I didn't realize you could do that, thank you

Mike Pagozalski

Mike@InspectTally.com
850-528-5585 (Cell)
FL Certified Home Inspector HI9519
FL Licensed Real Estate Broker BK3055789
FL Radon Measurement Technician R2530
ITC Level II Thermographer #150761
Exterior Design Institute (EIFS/Stucco) #FL131
Tallahasee's Home Inspection Team
Tallahassee Radon Testing
Tallahassee Home Inspector
Old 3/4/18, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpagozalski View Post
OMG lol I didn't realize you could do that, thank you
Me too. Feel like a dolt for not realizing it myself. Great time-saver, and actually can be useful in the field if I just bring along my laptop. View on laptop, correct on tablet.

Thanks again, Chris.

William Bruce Ogletree

214-287-4630
www.ogletreehi.com
ogletreehi@gmail.com
Old 3/6/18, 6:40 PM

Ok so how are you guys reviewing the report on one screen while making changes on the other? I must be doing something wrong

Mike Pagozalski

Mike@InspectTally.com
850-528-5585 (Cell)
FL Certified Home Inspector HI9519
FL Licensed Real Estate Broker BK3055789
FL Radon Measurement Technician R2530
ITC Level II Thermographer #150761
Exterior Design Institute (EIFS/Stucco) #FL131
Tallahasee's Home Inspection Team
Tallahassee Radon Testing
Tallahassee Home Inspector
Old 3/6/18, 8:59 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpagozalski View Post
Ok so how are you guys reviewing the report on one screen while making changes on the other? I must be doing something wrong
When finishing report on desktop I click "Print Report w/Preview First". I believe the first time I did that I had to drag it over to adjacent monitor. With print preview open I read through it and make any changes to report, that is still open in separate monitor.
Old 3/9/18, 12:45 PM
Community Guest

Like I said lots of good features, it just long in the tooth and could be so much better.
Need a home inspection in Alabama? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Alabama certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 6/21/18, 8:19 AM

The hg companion upload disappears if the screen is rotated, still uploads, but you don’t know progress, just annoying.

Would like to see improved way to manually move report over. If it was super easy, I wouldn’t need the additional hotspot.

Needs improvement for multiple inspectors using companion as single house. Specifically items into the summary. If I click rr and he does not, his items don’t go to summary. Potential liability... I lost a good agent over this.

I would like to see some sort of faster way to enter top 20 comments.

Type in box function for speed comments. If there is a comment that has too many options, I can just put type in function. Add comment and it pops up text box so I can manually add word I am looking for. For example: The ______ door needs adjustment for proper operation. It just lets me type in the door I am talking about.

Working apple companion.
Old 6/21/18, 8:28 AM

I still find it impossible to believe that HG doesn't have a search function built in to the software. What king of database isn't searchable?

Or a Comment Library that works across all templates.

Luckily we now have a 360 degree view option to work with instead of real bug/feature fixes....

Dominic D'Agostino
Home Pride Inspection Services, Inc.
Longwood, FL 32750
407-260-1533