InterNACHI Inspection Narrative Library for HomeGauge

Anyone using the InterNACHI Inspection Narrative Library for HomeGauge?

I’m newly licensed and currently pending time with the software writing mock reports before I go out to the field.

Seems like having the extra comment options could really boost my report writing.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Kristofer

Its a good point of reference when stuck for better verbiage

I use it. It’s a great way to build an instant library.

Thanks so much for the feedback! I’m going to get it. Do we, as InterNACHI members get discounts in the Inspector Outlet store, or are the published prices already discounted for us?

I purchased the InterNACHI narrative library template and was extremely happy until I got to the heating and air sections. There are virtually no comments there. Why is that? When I got to “Heat Pump” I found the following:

“Home heating included a heat pump, the inspection of which lies beyond the scope of the General Home Inspection. The Inspector recommends that you have the system evaluated by a contractor specializing in these systems.”

This comment along with the long disclaimer in the overview section and lack of comments in an otherwise comment rich template leave me to wonder if InterNACHI is encouraging me to excuse myself from inspecting or commenting on heating and air components.

Thoughts? Help? Heating and Air comments to share?

Thanks,
Kristofer (Newbie)

Kristofer,
You should first enter your location on this MB. Control Panel—Your Profile—Edit your details.
I also have these narratives and I have comments. How did you import them?

It’s not a fix all, but it is a very good start to build your own library. Of course you will have to be selective on which ones to use and modify the narratives for your location and report writing style.

You can get a 5% discount by using the discount code.

The code is InterNACHI. I knew you would ask.

I downloaded the template again just to make sure I hadn’t inadvertently deleted something. Same result. I am searching through the global comment list also.

Curious, on your version of this narrative template, how many comments pop up under Heat Pump? Mine only has two. That includes global list.

One more thing: When you click on the CYA (check your answers) tab under “heat pump” it says this:

“No extra info/help available.”

And I would like to know if InterNACHI actually endorses the above comment on heat pumps.

HomeGauge - Q, Susie 5_6_2018 1_22_48 PM.png

Here is a screenshot.

Kristofer,

Quoted here is a portion of the text of an article Defrost Cycle of a Heat Pump;
“According to the InterNACHI Residential Standards of Practice, a home inspection is a non-invasive, visual examination of a residential dwelling that is designed to identify observed material defects within specific components of that dwelling. Part of the home inspection includes the inspection, identification and description of the heating system, which includes heat pumps.
The inspector is required to inspect the heating systems using normal operating controls, and describe the energy source and heating method. The inspector’s report shall describe and identify, in written format, the inspected heating system, and shall identify material defects observed.
It is up to the inspector’s judgment as to how detailed the inspection and report will be.”

Find this article here - Defrost Cycle of a Heat Pump - InterNACHI

I have the same number of narratives under “Heat Pump”, and I added one narrative of my own which agrees with the SOP.

You are correct, there is not a CYA Check Your Answers comment for Heat Pumps. But, you can certainly add your own CYA since that section is editable. Click the icon Edit Current CYA. You could copy and paste something for your own benefit there from that InterNACHI article. I’ve done that for many components in my software.

Richard,
Thanks for taking the time to investigate this with me. The referenced heat pump comment is clearly out of line with the SOP narrative you quoted. Not sure why it would be allowed in an InterNACHI endorsed template.

I guess the moral of the story is for me to keep my brain turned on and always be guided by the SOP. I’m not afraid of coming up with my own language, I’ll take the time to create my own CYA section for Heating and Air. It’s certainly a big part of any inspection and report.

Thanks again to all guiding me through this thread.

Kristofer

I usually control the templates that go into the download of HomeGauge. I do not see the template with that wording in our downloads. Also our CYA section does have info so I am curious where you got that template? Or the exact name of the template.

You said you downloaded it again and got the same result. If you mean you downloaded HG software again from the HomeGauge website? If so, you would need to first delete that template so the download would replace it.

Anymore inf you can give would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Russell,
The template Kristopher got was the one that Kenton Shepard developed, not from HomeGauge. As Kenton notes on his website - The template is for HomeGauge but not produced by HomeGauge. InterNACHI Narrative Library for HomeGauge

Okay Thanks!

Kristofer, there are a ton of HVAC comments in the template. If you look at the full list of headings, you’ll see the HVAC heading titles in sections 20-23 (4th and 5th rows down).

Kristofer, my template is a collection of narratives. It contains the narratives I decided to include. Since I’m in Colorado and have only seen one heat pump
I’m not qualified to inspect them and didn’t write any narratives for them except one, and nobody has to use it.

This library is the result of 10 years work and the global menu contains over 2,000 headings (headings, not narratives), but there will always be conditions that won’t be found in mine or any other narrative library.

As time allows, I may get around to writing some heat pump narratives, but until then, those inspecting heat pumps will have to rely on narratives from another source.

InterNACHI doesn’t approve or disapprove my narratives, because if they did, I’d probably be the one to do it! If you take a look at my bioyou’ll probably have a better idea what I mean.

The main thing about writing narratives, and the formula I followed is:

1. Identify the defect
  2. Tell how serious it is.
  3. Make a recommendation that calls for action on the part of the client.
    This transfers liability from you to the client.
    Hope that helps.