Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

HomeGauge This is a place for HomeGauge customers to discuss HomeGauge software and services, and prospective HomeGauge customers to ask questions and get advice about picking home inspection software and services.

Old 5/7/18, 3:29 PM
Registered InterNACHI Vendor

Default Re: InterNACHI Inspection Narrative Library for HomeGauge

Okay Thanks!

Russell Buchanan
HomeGauge COO
NC licensed Home Inspector
NC licensed General Contractor

You can now import HIP, 3D, & InspectVue templates!

Compare software! See the difference!
Subscription offer $59 a month for HG Desktop, HG Companion (Android or ios) and HG Services.

Need a home inspection in Delaware? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Delaware certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 9/17/18, 8:42 PM
Certified Master Inspector

Send a message via ICQ to kshepard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgray View Post
I purchased the InterNACHI narrative library template and was extremely happy until I got to the heating and air sections. There are virtually no comments there. Why is that? When I got to "Heat Pump" I found the following:

"Home heating included a heat pump, the inspection of which lies beyond the scope of the General Home Inspection. The Inspector recommends that you have the system evaluated by a contractor specializing in these systems."

This comment along with the long disclaimer in the overview section and lack of comments in an otherwise comment rich template leave me to wonder if InterNACHI is encouraging me to excuse myself from inspecting or commenting on heating and air components.

Thoughts? Help? Heating and Air comments to share?

Thanks,
Kristofer (Newbie)
Kristofer, there are a ton of HVAC comments in the template. If you look at the full list of headings, you'll see the HVAC heading titles in sections 20-23 (4th and 5th rows down).

Kenton Shepard, CMI Inspector/Instructor

Designer/Builder: House of Horrors 1&2
Author: InterNACHI Narrative Library

Last edited by kshepard; 9/17/18 at 9:20 PM..
Old 9/17/18, 8:58 PM
Certified Master Inspector

Send a message via ICQ to kshepard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgray View Post
Richard,
Thanks for taking the time to investigate this with me. The referenced heat pump comment is clearly out of line with the SOP narrative you quoted. Not sure why it would be allowed in an InterNACHI endorsed template.

I guess the moral of the story is for me to keep my brain turned on and always be guided by the SOP. I'm not afraid of coming up with my own language, I'll take the time to create my own CYA section for Heating and Air. It's certainly a big part of any inspection and report.

Thanks again to all guiding me through this thread.

Kristofer
Kristofer, my template is a collection of narratives. It contains the narratives I decided to include. Since I'm in Colorado and have only seen one heat pump
I'm not qualified to inspect them and didn't write any narratives for them except one, and nobody has to use it.

This library is the result of 10 years work and the global menu contains over 2,000 headings (headings, not narratives), but there will always be conditions that won't be found in mine or any other narrative library.

As time allows, I may get around to writing some heat pump narratives, but until then, those inspecting heat pumps will have to rely on narratives from another source.

InterNACHI doesn't approve or disapprove my narratives, because if they did, I'd probably be the one to do it! If you take a look at my bio you'll probably have a better idea what I mean.

The main thing about writing narratives, and the formula I followed is:
1. Identify the defect
2. Tell how serious it is.
3. Make a recommendation that calls for action on the part of the client.
This transfers liability from you to the client.
Hope that helps.

Kenton Shepard, CMI Inspector/Instructor

Designer/Builder: House of Horrors 1&2
Author: InterNACHI Narrative Library

Last edited by kshepard; 9/18/18 at 1:20 PM..