New product: InterNACHI Inspection Narrative Library for HomeGauge.

http://www.inspectoroutlet.com/narrative-library-for-homegauge.aspx

Just purchased the narratives. There are a lot to go through. There are narratives that I would not of thought to include in my report, but will now. There are some errors in the comments so make sure you read them fully and make adjustments.
example
“In low-humidity areas, evaporating water into the air provides a natural and energy-efficient means of cooling. Evaporative coolers, also called swamp coolers, rely on this principal, cooling outdoor air by passing it over water-saturated pads, causing the water to evaporate into it. The*** 15°- 40°F-***cooler air is then directed into the home…”
The overall content is great. it will just take a while to navigate them into my report
Thanks Kenton
P.S. is there an area that you would like us to send any errors we may find to ? email or message board.?
Do you plan on adding any graphics to the comments in the future?

Thanks again
Eddie

Is this a completely new template? Or can I add this to my current template. I have a watermark and other customization’s that I don’t want to lose.

its a whole new template frank.
but you should be able to move the comments into your report. it will take some time to navigate. I asked homegauge today about it. I think it will be easiest to do with two computer screens.
Feel free to message me if you want me to send you a copy of the template with nothing in it for your reference.
ed

You won’t lose your water mark etc. That is in your “Style and Format” in the print settings no matter which template you use.

Thanks Eddie. I certainly don’t want to manually enter everything into my existing template.
I’ll look at that Russell. Thanks

When starting with Kenton’s template…at the inspection item level when you click auto comment you can select the drop down filter that will show a long list of his comments for that item. This helps you sort fast. You could however delete his comments at the inspection item level…those ones that you feel you would never use and it will only delete them from the local list at that item. They will still be in the Global list should you later want them.

This makes for a quicker access to comments.

I will make a video soon on some tips, but his template is ready to use as a working template.

So Russell, you’re going to make a video on importing Kenton’s library into HG? If so, I would then feel much more comfortable about doing it. Does Kenton’s library also include the Smart feature?

he has a few smart words built and of course you can make your own or copy paste from one template to another. I plan to show examples on how to use his or modify yours. Give me a few days, but either way his template with all comments are ready for an inspection!

Yes, please send them to me at kenton@internachi.org

I left the existing library of Smart Text in the template and added some of my own, but I (should say we, since Russell and the others at HG were a huge help) transferred an existing library that used far fewer Smart Text instances that the existing HG templates. I seldom use more that one per narrative, and the existing HG templates often use a series of them in one narrative to build the narrative.

It’s a different approach and there are advantages and drawbacks to both. Because my focus is specifically on narratives, and I’ve been writing them and refining both the narratives and their organization for a long time, you get narratives covering a broad spectrum of conditions, written uniformly and with a lot of thought behind them handed to you in a manner that’s optimizes as much as possible finding them quickly. On the other hand, there’s a lot of them and it may be simpler for some people to build their comments using what Russell has developed.

You can see the template organization here, and view a lot of sample narratives here.

Narratives can be transferred by copying and pasting entire Components (such as Log Home and Pool& Spa), or moved between templates in batches of narratives or singly.

This template can also be simplified. I supplied it in a manner that will allow inspectorws to choose how they perform inspections: separate Bathroom, Bedroom, Kitchen, and Laundry Room if you want them, or those narratives are also incorporated into the systems, as supplied when you buy the template. You can delete the narratives from the Local List that you don’t need, which simplifies things a bit.

The software didn’t like the use of the “degree” symbol, which is common, and I avoided using it throughout most of the template, but obviously missed it here.

Just a quick thank, I downloaded the comments back in Jan and just get the free upgrade for HG. Thank you for the quick support at interNACHI and HG for incorporating this!

Sincerely,

Stephen Rager

I look forward to the video. Thanks

Just bought the library and not happy so far. I have spent 20 minutes trying to get this library into my existing template. I may be doing something wrong here. But in windows 8.1 not real easy to do this. This software library is now a new template with all different components, other than mine. Need my existing template to accept this library into it. let me know what I can do

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiegner https://nachi.cachefly.net/forum/images/2006/buttons/viewpost.gif
Just bought the library and not happy so far. I have spent 20 minutes trying to get this library into my existing template. I may be doing something wrong here. But in windows 8.1 not real easy to do this. This software library is now a new template with all different components, other than mine. Need my existing template to accept this library into it. let me know what I can do

I’m sorry you’re having trouble, I know it can be frustrating trying to make something happen with computers.
This library will not merge with yours. It is a template, just like the others listed in the HomeGauge software and one of which you must select every time you open the software, except that this is a custom 3rd party template.
It will work fine, but you have to install it in a HomeGauge folder, and then select it when you open the software. You can then transfer Components, groups of narratives, or single narratives to combine the library of your choice with this one.

Here are instructions:

Installing your Narrative Library template:

Once you have downloaded the template, install it in the following location:

1. Click the Windows icon in the lower left corner or the Folder icon in the bottom toolbar
  2. Double-click “Documents”;
  3. Double-click the HomeGauge folder;
  4. Double-click the Templates folder;
  5. Choose the template folder in which you would like to store the new Narrative Library template file;
  6. Place the template in the folder by dragging and dropping it.
  7. When you open the HomeGauge software, the template will waiting for you!

About the Template:

Organizing a library of this size is a challenge, and HomeGauge was extremely helpful in template development, just as they are in providing user support for their software.
As is, the template is set up as a hybrid, allowing you to use it system-by-system, or to separate the kitchen, bathroom, and laundry room. You may prefer to simplify it by deleting portions of the Local List that you don’t need.
BUT FIRST…
I recommend that once you have installed the template in the HomeGauge Template folder, you make a copy that you can edit as you desire, saving the original template as a safety copy in case in the future you need to recover lost or deleted information.

Instructions for transferring comments between templates](http://hinarratives.com/?page_id=656)

Are you trying to merge the two together, add bits and pieces or create a new one?

There are some tutorial videos on homegauge about working with libraries and templates.

My advice would be to have two instances of homegauge open and use the copy t and paste t functions to import between the two.

To be safe, you can use the save as function for both old and new templates, and create a new one of each, so as to have a clean version of each.

Whether or not it’s easier to combine new with old or old with new, kind of depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

On looking through Kenton’s library, I’d say that he did a lot organization of comments, within each component and item, especially good use of the filter function for each item. It may take some time to customize, but I would say it looks good so far.

Edit, looks like Kenton beat me to it

I’m sorry you’re having trouble, I know it can be frustrating trying to make something happen with computers.
This library will not merge cleanly with yours. It is a template, just like the others listed in the HomeGauge software and one of which you must select every time you open the software, except that this is a custom 3rd party template.
It will work fine, but you have to install it in a HomeGauge folder, and then select it when you open the software. You can then transfer Components, groups of narratives, or single narratives to combine the library of your choice with this one.

Here are instructions:

Installing your Narrative Library template:

Once you have downloaded the template, install it in the following location:

1. Click the Windows icon in the lower left corner or the Folder icon in the bottom toolbar
  2. Double-click “Documents”;
  3. Double-click the HomeGauge folder;
  4. Double-click the Templates folder;
  5. Choose the template folder in which you would like to store the new Narrative Library template file;
  6. Place the template in the folder by dragging and dropping it.
  7. When you open the HomeGauge software, the template will waiting for you!

About the Template:

Organizing a library of this size is a challenge, and HomeGauge was extremely helpful in template development, just as they are in providing user support for their software.
As is, the template is set up as a hybrid, allowing you to use it system-by-system, or to separate the kitchen, bathroom, and laundry room. You may prefer to simplify it by deleting portions of the Local List that you don’t need.
BUT FIRST…
I recommend that once you have installed the template in the HomeGauge Template folder, you make a copy that you can edit as you desire, saving the original template as a safety copy in case in the future you need to recover lost or deleted information.

Instructions for transferring comments between templates

If you import narratives out of my template into your existing template you will lose the reference material I installed, which is considerable.