Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Ohio Home Inspectors This is a place for Ohio InterNACHI home inspectors and other inspectors in Ohio to discuss local home inspection topics. Become a home inspector in Ohio

Old 12/15/17, 12:54 PM
Active Poster

Default InterNACHI defeats bad ASHI home inspector legislation in Ohio.

InterNACHI’s efforts have once again defeated the bad ASHI provisions previously inserted into the home inspection legislation pending in Ohio.

When H.B. 211 was first introduced, the bill required the home inspection board to adopt ASHI’s standards of practice and code of ethics. InterNACHI's Board of Directors responded by instructing InterNACHI’s General Counsel, Mark Cohen, to fly to Ohio and meet with legislators. As a result of InterNACHI’s efforts, the current version of the bill no longer requires ASHI’s SOP or code of ethics and all references to ASHI have been removed from the legislation.

InterNACHI’s efforts also helped improve the proposed legislation in other ways. For instance, the prior version of the bill also required any applicant for a license to complete 80 hours of pre-licensing education, and 40 hours of that had to be sitting in a classroom. The current version allows an applicant to complete all training online using online video courses. This is significant because InterNACHI has received more than 1,400 governmental approvals for its online courses and is currently using its House of Horrors® home inspector training facilities to create advanced virtual, online courses.

As a result of InterNACHI’s efforts, the current version of the bill also contains a provision allowing experienced inspectors to be grandfathered in. This is significant because the Certified Master Inspector® professional designation is awarded, in part, based on experience.

Our thanks goes out to our General Counsel Mark Cohen for meeting with the Ohio legislators to protect the inspection industry.

Last edited by gromicko; 12/15/17 at 1:13 PM..
Need a home inspection in Colorado? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Colorado certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 12/15/17, 1:14 PM
Active Poster

Default Re: InterNACHI defeats bad ASHI home inspector legislation in Ohio.

Nice PICs:
Attached Thumbnails
InterNACHI defeats bad ASHI home inspector legislation in Ohio.-rep-anthony-devitis-internachi-jpg   InterNACHI defeats bad ASHI home inspector legislation in Ohio.-rep-dick-stein-internachi-cohen-jpg   InterNACHI defeats bad ASHI home inspector legislation in Ohio.-ohio-representative-steven-arndt-internachi-mark-cohen-jpg   InterNACHI defeats bad ASHI home inspector legislation in Ohio.-internachis-mark-cohen-attorney-visiting-ohio-legislators-home-inspection-licensing-jpg  
Old 12/15/17, 1:33 PM
Certified Master Inspector

Send a message via Skype™ to gwells

Thanks Nick and Mark. It was ASHI’s interference in Ohio that lead me to joining InterNACHI (NACHI) in 2004. I moved my businesses from Ohio to Michigan a few years later but I continue to work in Ohio often.

Ohio’s legislation would be disastrous to home inspectors in Ohio. I will continue to oppose the law in its entirety but it is good to know that if it does pass, we have InterNACHI protecting the interests of inspectors. ASHI is an obsolete dying organization. They have little, if any, relevance in our industry today.

Forensic Electrical Consultant
EE, Licensed Master Electrician/Electrical Contractor

BestInspectors.Net
By Inspectors, For Inspectors

Inspection Report Software
& Business Coaching

Since 1992
Old 12/15/17, 1:46 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Thanks Nick.
Old 12/15/17, 2:03 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Thank you Nick and Mark

Habitation Investigation LLC
http://www.homeinspectionsinohio.com
Old 12/15/17, 2:23 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Quote:
InterNACHI’s efforts also helped improve the proposed legislation in other ways. For instance, the prior version of the bill also required any applicant for a license to complete 80 hours of pre-licensing education, and 40 hours of that had to be sitting in a classroom. The current version allows an applicant to complete all training online using online video courses.
This may all be good but it has created a flood of new inspectors in my area that were able to get their state license by joining InterNACHI for $49 per month, then taking all of the required courses while setting at home. Making it a very attractive and Low Cost way to become a certified and licensed professional. When it used to cost closer to $2,000, or more, Plus at least 10 hours had to be classroom.

And of course new inspectors, at least the the majority, start out charging less than everyone else in order to get jobs, which brings down the average home inspection cost.
Old 12/15/17, 2:42 PM
Active Poster

The cost of the courses being $499 or $2,000 makes no difference in a man or woman's decision to make the life decision about changing professions. That's a myth.

"Hey honey, dinner was great, but I have something important to talk to you about. I'm going to go into business for myself. I realize that going into business is a big decision that will change our lives forever and I had no intention of ever doing this, but the courses are a bit cheaper now."

Licensing provides a clear, official path for a newbie to enter YOUR market and wave the very same state-issued credential you tout. It harms veteran inspectors in that it makes a state-sanctioned doorway into YOUR market. The only one it helps are home inspection schools which, initially after licensing is adopted, pop up on every corner.
Old 12/15/17, 4:15 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Thank you for your efforts, Nick and Mark - Always appreciated!

Frank Buttermore
HTI Inspection Services, LLC
Howell, MI
www.htiinspectionservices.com
Old 12/15/17, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromicko View Post
The cost of the courses being $499 or $2,000 makes no difference in a man or woman's decision to make the life decision about changing professions. That's a myth.

"Hey honey, dinner was great, but I have something important to talk to you about. I'm going to go into business for myself. I realize that going into business is a big decision that will change our lives forever and I had no intention of ever doing this, but the courses are a bit cheaper now."

Licensing provides a clear, official path for a newbie to enter YOUR market and wave the very same state-issued credential you tout. It harms veteran inspectors in that it makes a state-sanctioned doorway into YOUR market. The only one it helps are home inspection schools which, initially after licensing is adopted, pop up on every corner.
All I know is what is happening in my area. There are a lot of new "Nachi trained" inspectors charging low fees. It hasn't had a real impact on my business.....yet.
Old 12/15/17, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccurrins View Post
This may all be good but it has created a flood of new inspectors in my area that were able to get their state license by joining InterNACHI for $49 per month, then taking all of the required courses while setting at home. Making it a very attractive and Low Cost way to become a certified and licensed professional. When it used to cost closer to $2,000, or more, Plus at least 10 hours had to be classroom.

And of course new inspectors, at least the the majority, start out charging less than everyone else in order to get jobs, which brings down the average home inspection cost.
So you’re worried about newbies taking business from you? What does that say about your business model?

Juan Jimenez
A House on a Rock Home Inspections LLC
God. Family. Home.
804-269-4321
Richmond Home Inspector
Richmond Chimney Sweep
Richmond Radon Testing

Old 12/15/17, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjimenez View Post
So you’re worried about newbies taking business from you? What does that say about your business model?
No I'm not. Worry about your own.
Old 12/15/17, 8:58 PM

Good job Nick and company.
If Ohio does go with licensing, is the only way to be grandfathered is to be a CMI?

Scott
Old 12/16/17, 7:16 AM

So the “ASHI” was removed from “adopt an SOP”

Also removed from the “Board of Inspectors” was it to be comprised of members from different national associations. Now they can all be from one association, and I got a feeling of which one.

Since the Board of Inspectors chooses the SOP, you can bet it will be ASHI since they are the driving force behind the Bill.

Bill Forrest
Certified Master Inspector®
MSRE Home Inspection Services
3619 Rockport Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44111
(216) 403-4511

Need a home inspection in Colorado? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Colorado certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 12/17/17, 3:15 PM
Student Inspector

Please Note: tarmstrong3 is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Thank you for support our efforts in Ohio. I have been trying to get my law makers and the local real estate organization to tell me what benefits the citizens of Ohio will get with the law. I ask them if licensing realtors stops bad realtors. They say no, so why do they think licensing will stop bad inspectors. Please keep trying to kill licensing in Ohio.
Old 12/18/17, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szeiger View Post
Good job Nick and company.
If Ohio does go with licensing, is the only way to be grandfathered is to be a CMI?

Scott
No, and simply being a "CMI" doesn't mean you still won't have to provide documentation meeting any grandfathering prerequisites to be licensed, that is unless Nick and Mr. Cohen have had that language written into the law.

Again, until the bill is signed into law, changes can and will be made.

And Chris is right, the last thing we need is to turn Ohio into a vendor money machine. It will have a detrimental effect on the industry in this state if that happens.

Kevin M. Leonard
The Ohio Home Inspections Company
Cincinnati Ohio
513-895-7700