Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Ohio Home Inspectors This is a place for Ohio InterNACHI home inspectors and other inspectors in Ohio to discuss local home inspection topics. Become a home inspector in Ohio

Old 2/27/18, 9:40 PM
Active Poster

Default Re: InterNACHI defeats bad ASHI home inspector legislation in Ohio.

Latest version: https://www.nachi.org/documents2012/...17-revised.pdf

Last edited by gromicko; 2/27/18 at 9:49 PM..
Need a home inspection in Colorado? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Colorado certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 2/28/18, 5:30 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Send a message via AIM to jfrederick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromicko View Post
What does this mean....cliff notes version?

http://northwestohiohomeinspector.com

Defiance home inspector
Northwest Ohio home inspector
Old 2/28/18, 6:06 AM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Joshua,

The Bill now goes to the House for further tweaking and a possible vote. It's still a far way from done.

But, I'm sure your interested in the grandfathering:

Section 6.
(A) Notwithstanding section 4764.07 of the Revised Code, as enacted by this act, and except as provided under section 4764.14 of the Revised Code, as enacted by this act, during the period of time beginning on the date the last initial member of the Ohio Home Inspector Board is appointed pursuant to section 4764.04 of the Revised Code, as enacted by this act, and ending one hundred twenty days after that date, the Superintendent of Real Estate and Professional Licensing shall issue a home inspector license if a person
applies for a license on a form the Superintendent provides and pays the fee specified in section 4764.05 of the Revised Code, as enacted by this act, and if the applicant demonstrates all of the following:

(1) Proof of maintaining or being covered by a comprehensive general liability insurance policy or a commercial general liability insurance policy in accordance with division (A) of section 4764.11 of the Revised Code, as enacted by this act; (Sec. 4764.11.(A)Every licensed home inspector shall maintain, or be covered by, a comprehensive general liability insurance policy or a commercial general liability insurance policy with coverage limits of not less than one hundred thousand dollars per occurrence and not less than a three-
hundred-thousand-dollar aggregate limit. The insurance policy shall provide coverage against liability of the licensed home inspector for loss, damage, or expense as a result of an act that occurred while the licensed home inspector was on the premises performing a home inspection. If the employer of a licensed home inspector is not a licensed home inspector and
maintains an insurance policy covering the licensed home
inspector, the licensed home inspector is not required to
maintain the licensed home inspector's own insurance policy.)

(2) Proof by direct documentation or signed affidavit
attesting to having met any three of the following requirements to demonstrate participation in the home inspection field prior to the effective date of this act:

(a) Having performed at least two hundred home inspections for clients for compensation or other valuable consideration;
(b) Having successfully passed a home inspector examination specified in division(D)the Revised Code, as enacted by this act; (NHIE my inclusion)
(c) Having actively operated a home inspection business in this state for three years before the effective date of this act under a business name officially registered with the Secretary of State;
(d) Having been employed as a home inspector for the consecutive thirty-six months before the effective date of this act by an inspection company or person whose owner or manager meets the license requirement specified in this section
(e) Having successfully completed eighty hours of instruction of the type that would qualify for continuing education credit under section 4764.08 of the Revised Code, as enacted by this act;
(f) Having a license, registration, or certification in good standing to perform the duties of a home inspector in another jurisdiction that has requirements for licensure, registration, or certification that are substantially similar to Chapter 4764. of the Revised Code, as enacted by this act;
(g) Having prepared at least five home inspection reports that have been verified as being in compliance with standards adopted by a national organization that consists of and represents home inspectors;
(h) Having completed, not more than one year before the effective date of this act, at least one peer review session conducted by a national organization that consists of and represents home inspectors.

(3) Proof of signing an attestation that the applicant Agrees to comply with the requirements specified in rules adopted by the Board pursuant to division(A)(10)of section 4764.05 of the Revised Code, as enacted by this act;

(4) In a written statement, acknowledgment that the person understands the grounds for any disciplinary action that may be initiated under Chapter 4764. of the Revised Code, as enacted by this act.

The Superintendent shall have a fingerprint-based criminal records check conducted pursuant to section 121.08 of the Revised Code and the rules adopted by the Superintendent pursuant to division (A)(6)of section 4764.06 of the Revised Code, as enacted by this act, on any applicant who applies for a license under this section.
(B) Any license issued under this section shall expire three years after the date the license was issued. A licensed home inspector may renew the licensed home inspector's license in accordance with section 4764.09 of the Revised Code, as enacted by this act.
(C) As used in this section, "home inspection," "peer review session," and "residential building" have the same meanings as in section 4764.01 of the Revised Code, as enacted by this act. "Home inspector" means a person who conducts home inspections for compensation or other valuable consideration.

Bill Forrest
Certified Master Inspector®
MSRE Home Inspection Services
3619 Rockport Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44111
(216) 403-4511

Old 2/28/18, 8:53 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to clawrenson

Bottom line: So is the fox guarding the hen house? Any conflicts there?

Cheers, Claude Lawrenson NACHI03121515
Inspection Support Services Inc.
"Those who can do. Those who CARE teach" and truly understand What do teachers make ?
Old 2/28/18, 9:31 AM
Certified Master Inspector ®

All Ohio inspectors should read the entire Bill. It's long and tedious, and every time I read it I learn something new.

As far as the foxes, just look at who are the driving forces behind the Bill. The Board of Realtors and A??I.

Bill Forrest
Certified Master Inspector®
MSRE Home Inspection Services
3619 Rockport Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44111
(216) 403-4511

Old 12/6/18, 10:48 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

I agree with you guys on this one, fox in hen house quote!
Does anyone know whom to contact about being involved with these decisions for Ohio??
Old 12/8/18, 9:22 AM

I would definitely be in on creating some documentation from experienced home inspectors regarding licensing regarding this legislation. Thing is, I'm not very good at organizing things like this or getting the ball rolling so to speak, but I can help contribute. I believe we need to do something or at least get officially involved. Once again, this just goes to show the agents control over our profession

HI licensing

Defiance home inspector
Old 12/8/18, 11:43 PM
Certified Master Inspector

What I always find amazing is,

I hold licenses in HVAC, as a home builder, WDI inspector, asbestos inspector, lead based paint inspector, septic inspector, radon inspection, mold inspection, as a code inspector AND several others.

In NONE of them do I need to show I've done a certain number of inspections, etc to get my license. NOR do I need to be finger printed for any of them. I do NOT have to carry E & O insurance on any of them.

Makes you wonder why OR how we've screwed ourselves so bad.

Dan Bowers, CMI
Licensed Contractor / Builder
Certified IAQ2 Mold Inspector
Licensed HVAC Service Technician
EDI Certified Stucco / EIFS Inspector
Certified Commercial Building Inspector
iNACHI – US Member of the Year 2010
ITC / FLIR - Level I Infrared Thermographer
FHA - 203k Inspector / Compliance Inspector
ICC Code Inspector (Plmbg, Elec, Mech, Bldg)
Old 12/9/18, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbowers View Post
Makes you wonder why OR how we've screwed ourselves so bad.
That's easy - Real Estate Agents. None of those other professions are completely controlled and dictated by another.

Defiance home inspector