Licensing Bill coming to Ohio

Attached is a link to a proposed Bill requiring licensing for home inspectors in Ohio.

I have only scanned over it, but a couple of items caught my attention. Both, I have a feeling, Nick won’t like.

Line # 1416, ASHI SOP’s

Line # 1543, NHIE

The last report I saw (6 years ago or so) from the State of Ohio regarding licensing of home inspectors, came to the conclusion that it would be a waste of time and money. I wonder what changed.

Here’s a link to the report I referred to above.

I think my memory is going.

“Quantifiable data did not appear to exist as to whether or not licensing actually ensures more qualified home inspectors.”

“Instead it”[licensing]“should be used for the benefit of both the realty and home inspection industries.”

“Given that the data do not support the notion that an extensive licensing program directly affects home inspectors’ qualifications, a program with minimal components may be all that is necessary. While this is a potential viable option, in order to fully address the more extensive issues between real estate agents, home inspectors, and consumers, a full home inspection licensing program on par with the real estate licensing program is necessary.”

Thank you, Bill. I, for one, am not supportive of such legislation, and hope it dies in process.

I hope it dies.

It should. Kansas had licensing for a while, and got the laws rescinded. They were too basic, hurt the home buyer, and placed a large economic requirement burden on the home inspector.

ASHI SOP’s are the worse in the industry, which is what the REA and their lobbyists want, so reports will be basic, short, say almost nothing, so the home buyer will not be alarmed, so the house will sell, so the agent, mortgage lender, title companies, insurance companies, office brokers, all get their cut of the home sale.

Feel free to go to my web site and check out my newsletter “a representative number” that explains it. It sill amazes me how lawmakers want licensing of inspectors, when tradespersons of all industries, home builders, etc. all are not required to be licensed in many states. Heck, most all states do not have state wide building codes, so how are home inspectors going to state if a home defect is truly a defect by code? Cans of worms open when states think that licensing helps home buyers. Wrong.

Remember, when people have a driver’s license it makes them a good driver. Right?

What changed is the REA’s waited till the other legislators were out of office then donated more $$$$$ AND promised more votes to friendly legislators that voted their way.

Sometime after Tuesday’s election, I will post the committee members addresses, so those interested can share their views. If the current members were not re-elected, it may take some time.

Nick, can I ask for some good verbiage for letters to send to our representatives voicing our opinions against licensing.

I know you are working to sue the NHIE and have offered to absorb ASHI.

Perhaps this would be a GREAT BATTLEGROUND?

Gary,

Thanks for sharing. It’s a great point and will be included in my list.

The driving politician behind this PROPOSED Bill is current Senator Jim Hughes.
I say current because from 2000-2008, he served in the Ohio House. 2009-2016, in the Ohio Senate. Now, again, he is runnning for The Ohio House.
He is a career politician, by-passing the will of the citizens of Ohio and the spirit of the law, as it relates to Term Limits.

Be careful what you ask for!

Even though Nick is opposed to the NHIE and all other Inspector Associations on the face of the earth… IMO InterNachi SUPPORTS State Licensing of Home Inspectors.

Remember… InterNachi is evolving into a UNIVERSITY. What better way to guarantee a continous stream of student revenue than to REQUIRE formal training to get your license?

OPEN YOUR EYES and see the TRUTH all around you!!!

Thanks Jeffrey,

I tend to keep an open mind and gladly accept all input.

I recently found about about this bill.

Nick know’'s I’ve always been a proponent of proctored exams for home inspectors and the bill in it’s current form requires passing of the NHIE as one of the prerequisites for one to be licensed.

The sponsor of the bill is set to retire in January and I’m not sure if he’ll fast track this bill or not, he may, I’m not really in the loop this time around like I have been in the past. Regardless, word has it that other Legislatures are very, if not extremely interested in getting licensing for Home Inspectors in Ohio.

And I for one DON’T want to see a repeat of what happened in Florida. If anything, I would prefer to see something along the lines of what The State of Washington has in place.

And also William, the last attempt died in March of 2009 not because anyone thought it would be a waste of time and money, but because the economy crashed.

Read about both the HB and the SB here - http://www.ohioinspectorlicensing.com/

Reading a book and taking a test does not make you a home inspector. Some state laws in play thinks they do. Any state licensing only benefits the ones who put it into play. Follow the money. Nick likes licensing, because it will create more members, who spend more money for promotional items, books, etc. Reading a book and taking a test makes you a top-notch driver, right? You must have experience to be good at anything. Some states require that you do an internship, get so-many appraisals, etc. before they let you out on your own. Home inspections should also.

Do you think that maybe reading a book and taking a test would be a good place to start?

Or would just going out and buying a flashlight and offering home inspections for $199.00 with radon test and WDI inspection included be a perfectly good way to jump in? Because that’s what you’re advocating, and I know you read these boards so therefore you know it happens, all the time.

And sure, most don’t last 2 to 3 years, but in that time how many consumers were monetarily damaged and what harm did it do to the industry?

Kevin,

The study released in 2006 stated:

"“Given that the data do not support the notion that an extensive licensing program directly affects home inspectors’ qualifications, a program with minimal components may be all that is necessary. While this is a potential viable option, in order to fully address the more extensive issues between real estate agents, home inspectors, and consumers, a full home inspection licensing program on par with the real estate licensing program is necessary.”

It appears to me that they contradict their own study.

I do agree that many will benefit financially if the law is enacted. But it won’t be the home inspector. It will be organizations profiting from home inspectors complying with the law.

As a small business owner, I see more government regulations detrimental to my growth. Fees (taxes), renewal fees (taxes), mandatory testing, mandatory insurance coverage amounts, mandatory continuing education (benefiting certain organizations) and the time required to complete these are additional costs that must be passed onto the consumer.

Current State Senator Hughes had reached his term limit in the State Senate. He was elected to the State House of Representatives this past Tuesday.

When a person buys a flashlight, and claims to be a home inspector at $199, why do the real estate agents hire and suggest them to their clients? It starts there.

The REA’s and office brokers and managers should set the parameters high for ANY home inspector or trades person to serve their clients. This would solve any state licensing program problems. Why don’t they? See my previous posts. Any REA must serve their clients to the highest standard, which the National Association of Realtors promote. Why REA’s want to hide inspectors behind state home inspection laws speaks volumes in itself.

The mailing address for the State Rep pushing for this bill is:
Jim Hughes ®
District 24
77 S. High St.
13th Floor
Columbus, OH 43215
(614) 466-8012

I recommend reading the draft of the bill at http://files.constantcontact.com/0a029eb3601/c4a81ea9-0fbb-46f1-ac82-cd699444daf7.pdf

An item of interest for those that have taken the NHIE or are thinking about it:
*"(4) Proof of successfully passing, within two years before the date of the application, the national home inspector examination"

*[FONT=Arial Black]And from the Reporter 2002 http://www.ashireporter.org/HomeInspection/Articles/National-Home-Inspection-Exam-News/742

*[size=4]"Because it is often perceived as self-serving for a membership organization, such as ASHI, to promote its own exam as the competence standard to public regulatory bodies, most legislators and regulators simply will not consider an examination that is not independent of the profession’s representative organization.

That’s why, on the advice of examination development professionals, ASHI established the Examination Board of Professional Home Inspectors in April 1999.
EBPHI’s mission is “to establish the standard of competence for home inspectors and to enhance consumer confidence in home inspection professionals.” The method for accomplishing this mission is to develop, maintain and administer the National Home Inspector Examination."
*[/size]
[/FONT]
Seems to me to be no different.

From time to time, as I delve deeper into this, I will post items that I find interesting and may be of interest to others.

I was on ASHI’s BoD when we set this up. What are your questions.

Sorry guys I am for anything that requires a lazy home inspector to acquire additional education and if it takes licensing to do that I am all for it. After reading some of the post by Ohio inspectors they truly need additional education.

Okla did not have a licensing requirement when I started my business. I started with a screw driver, a flash light and a pair of channel lock pliers and the attitude that I knew everything. Whew did I get my bubble busted.
I am a believer in any kind of education and anywhere it can be obtained from. I like one on one CE preferably at a State meeting and I drive 85 miles one way to do this. Most will not drive 20 miles across town for this kind of CE.

Here is a list of places I have driven to for education while in this business. Dallas TX twice, College Station TX, Denver Co, Boulder Co, Burlington NJ, Orlando Fla, New Orleans La, Los Vegas, Kansas City Ka, Tulsa Ok, Oklahoma City Ok,
I can not say this education was a requirement for licensing but I would say that the CE requirements for my licensing is what motivated me for more education.

Unlike the moron from Mo that had a statement he used over and over on this forum. ( Licensing solves nothing) he is no longer in the HI business. Licensing does have its place and is hard to swallow in the beginning, but once in place if done properly will prevent some out of work 50 year old from just hanging out a shingle and stating I am a home inspector unless he is truly motivated for proper education.

This business is truly about not waiting for the storm to pass but about learning to dance in the rain. :D:D:D:D

careful red hat…