Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Local Inspection Issues > Ohio Home Inspectors

Notices

Ohio Home Inspectors This is a place for Ohio InterNACHI home inspectors and other inspectors in Ohio to discuss local home inspection topics. Become a home inspector in Ohio

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11/17/16, 10:20 PM
Certified Master Inspector

Default Re: Licensing Bill coming to Ohio

When a person buys a flashlight, and claims to be a home inspector at $199, why do the real estate agents hire and suggest them to their clients? It starts there.

The REA's and office brokers and managers should set the parameters high for ANY home inspector or trades person to serve their clients. This would solve any state licensing program problems. Why don't they? See my previous posts. Any REA must serve their clients to the highest standard, which the National Association of Realtors promote. Why REA's want to hide inspectors behind state home inspection laws speaks volumes in itself.

Certified Master Inspector, Retired
Formerly Serving the Greater Kansas City Metro Area
Lifetime InterNACHI Member
"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door"--Milton Berle
Need a home inspection in West Virginia? Check out InterNACHI's listing of West Virginia certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 1/5/17, 6:26 AM
Certified Master Inspector ®

The mailing address for the State Rep pushing for this bill is:
Jim Hughes (R)
District 24
77 S. High St.
13th Floor
Columbus, OH 43215
(614) 466-8012

I recommend reading the draft of the bill at http://files.constantcontact.com/0a0...699444daf7.pdf

An item of interest for those that have taken the NHIE or are thinking about it:
"(4) Proof of successfully passing, within two years before the date of the application, the national home inspector examination"

And from the Reporter 2002 http://www.ashireporter.org/HomeInsp...-Exam-News/742

"Because it is often perceived as self-serving for a membership organization, such as ASHI, to promote its own exam as the competence standard to public regulatory bodies, most legislators and regulators simply will not consider an examination that is not independent of the profession’s representative organization.

That’s why, on the advice of examination development professionals, ASHI established the Examination Board of Professional Home Inspectors in April 1999.
EBPHI’s mission is “to establish the standard of competence for home inspectors and to enhance consumer confidence in home inspection professionals.” The method for accomplishing this mission is to develop, maintain and administer the National Home Inspector Examination."

Seems to me to be no different.

From time to time, as I delve deeper into this, I will post items that I find interesting and may be of interest to others.

Bill Forrest
Certified Master Inspector®
MSRE Home Inspection Services
3619 Rockport Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44111
(216) 403-4511

Old 1/5/17, 11:27 PM

I was on ASHI's BoD when we set this up. What are your questions.

Dan Bowers, CMI
Licensed Contractor / Builder
Certified IAQ2 Mold Inspector
Licensed HVAC Service Technician
EDI Certified Stucco / EIFS Inspector
Certified Commercial Building Inspector
iNACHI – US Member of the Year 2010
ITC / FLIR - Level I Infrared Thermographer
FHA - 203k Inspector / Compliance Inspector
ICC Code Inspector (Plmbg, Elec, Mech, Bldg)
Old 1/8/17, 11:23 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Sorry guys I am for anything that requires a lazy home inspector to acquire additional education and if it takes licensing to do that I am all for it. After reading some of the post by Ohio inspectors they truly need additional education.

Okla did not have a licensing requirement when I started my business. I started with a screw driver, a flash light and a pair of channel lock pliers and the attitude that I knew everything. Whew did I get my bubble busted.
I am a believer in any kind of education and anywhere it can be obtained from. I like one on one CE preferably at a State meeting and I drive 85 miles one way to do this. Most will not drive 20 miles across town for this kind of CE.

Here is a list of places I have driven to for education while in this business. Dallas TX twice, College Station TX, Denver Co, Boulder Co, Burlington NJ, Orlando Fla, New Orleans La, Los Vegas, Kansas City Ka, Tulsa Ok, Oklahoma City Ok,
I can not say this education was a requirement for licensing but I would say that the CE requirements for my licensing is what motivated me for more education.

Unlike the moron from Mo that had a statement he used over and over on this forum. ( Licensing solves nothing) he is no longer in the HI business. Licensing does have its place and is hard to swallow in the beginning, but once in place if done properly will prevent some out of work 50 year old from just hanging out a shingle and stating I am a home inspector unless he is truly motivated for proper education.

This business is truly about not waiting for the storm to pass but about learning to dance in the rain.

http://www.oklahomathermalinfraredimaging.com/
http://www.freedomexpressinspections.com/
Master HVAC Mechanic Retired
Level III Thermographer # 8486 Infraspection Institute
CMI Certified Master Inspector
Residential/Commercial Inspections
Moisture Intrusion Expert Witness
Okla State License # 130
580-268-3340
Old 1/8/17, 1:38 PM

careful red hat.......

Jim McKee
Amherst, Ohio
440 225 8688
www.amhersthomeinspector.com
Old 1/8/17, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckee View Post
careful red hat.......
Yes I am about to start a verbal war

Okla State License # 130
580-268-3340
Old 1/8/17, 6:22 PM

Charley,

I have briefly read over the Oklahoma law governing home inspectors. If I am incorrect in what I say, I apologize in advance.

I see that the State of Oklahoma has their own SOP in place. Oklahoma does not mention any home inspection association by name.

(From the draft of proposed Ohio Licensing)
“The board shall adopt the American society of home inspectors' standards and code of ethics as minimum requirements for this chapter.”

This is promoting one association over others and has no place in any law. Also, that association may change the SOP at any time, thereby changing the law as adopted. (ie: Those persons operating under these SOP’s must be members of this association.)

(From the Reporter August 2011)
“The ASHI Standards of Practice Committee is charged with developing and maintaining the ASHI Standards of Practice and answering Requests for Interpretation (RFI) of it.”

Is it prudent to allow an association to dictate the laws and the interpretation of laws?

There are many more items in the Ohio draft which are problematic to a businessperson. As I have time, I will continue to post them.

The Ohio draft, as written, is a farce. It has nothing to do with protecting the public. It is to put monies in the pockets of select individuals, companies and associations.

Bill Forrest
3619 Rockport Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44111
(216) 403-4511

Old 1/8/17, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wforrest View Post
Charley,

I have briefly read over the Oklahoma law governing home inspectors. If I am incorrect in what I say, I apologize in advance.

I see that the State of Oklahoma has their own SOP in place. Oklahoma does not mention any home inspection association by name.

(From the draft of proposed Ohio Licensing)
“The board shall adopt the American society of home inspectors' standards and code of ethics as minimum requirements for this chapter.”

This is promoting one association over others and has no place in any law. Also, that association may change the SOP at any time, thereby changing the law as adopted. (ie: Those persons operating under these SOP’s must be members of this association.)

(From the Reporter August 2011)
“The ASHI Standards of Practice Committee is charged with developing and maintaining the ASHI Standards of Practice and answering Requests for Interpretation (RFI) of it.”

Is it prudent to allow an association to dictate the laws and the interpretation of laws?

There are many more items in the Ohio draft which are problematic to a businessperson. As I have time, I will continue to post them.

The Ohio draft, as written, is a farce. It has nothing to do with protecting the public. It is to put monies in the pockets of select individuals, companies and associations.
I agree with you that is why I stated if licensing is to become law it must be properly written. Okla SOP was not properly written and was influenced by ASHI members in this State that wanted a soft cushy SOP

Okla State License # 130
580-268-3340
Old 5/8/17, 3:11 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to gwells

Government intervention in small business rarely, if ever, leads to anything good. Home inspector licensing laws have done more harm than good. Once there is licensing, it is a financial burden to the home inspector and home inspectors are nothing more than a fungible commodity in the minds of consumers. The inspectors who will be hurt the most are the most highly qualified.

The NHIE is a seriously flawed flawed exam and ASHI is an organization that only serves its own interests, not the interests of inspectors or consumers.

I keep hearing that there is a shortage of electricians in Ohio. If this law passes, I may have to go back into the electrical business (which is not something I want to do).

Forensic Electrical Consultant
EE, Licensed Master Electrician/Electrical Contractor

BestInspectors.Net
By Inspectors, For Inspectors

Inspection Report Software
& Business Coaching

Since 1992
Old 5/8/17, 3:56 PM

I operate in a licensing State. At some point I believe all States will eventually have a license. I find them to be completely hollow and poorly executed but unfortunately a part of the business. What I do not like is the bully mentality.

I was part of the original License Board for Illinois. I was completely bullied by ASHI to make sure the SOP reflected their point of view. Even through I was a member of ASHI I was not going to sit and have them bully into having them take over the Adopted Rule.

I hope this hold true for my friends in Ohio. Someone needs to get into the ear of the the author of this bill and have that line removed and substituted with a more neutral or less biased SOP.

Good luck Ohio inspectors. If you are ever looking for advice I am here for you.

Rob Claus, CMI, RBC, CBC, CMP
Illinois Lic. 450.000001
General Manager Franchise Operations
http://www.brickkicker.com
robclaus@brickkicker.com
Go InterNACHI
Old 8/11/17, 12:53 PM
Student Inspector

I have a dumb question in regards to obtaining an inspectors license. what else is needed after completing the internachi course online. is there anymore testing to be done with the state of ohio?
Old 8/11/17, 1:08 PM

No licensing at this time in Ohio for home inspections.
Radon, pest are a different story.

Bill Forrest
3619 Rockport Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44111
(216) 403-4511

Old 8/13/17, 7:42 PM

Have very mixed feelings about Ohio possibly becoming a licensed state. Will get a license if I have to. Have enough things on my plate as it is.