Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Ohio Home Inspectors This is a place for Ohio InterNACHI home inspectors and other inspectors in Ohio to discuss local home inspection topics. Become a home inspector in Ohio

Old 9/8/17, 3:59 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Default Re: Licensing Bill coming to Ohio

Here's the link to view the Bill

https://legiscan.com/OH/text/HB211/i...Introduced.pdf

Bill Forrest
Certified Master Inspector®
MSRE Home Inspection Services
3619 Rockport Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44111
(216) 403-4511

Need a home inspection in West Virginia? Check out InterNACHI's listing of West Virginia certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 9/8/17, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcastro View Post
Discussion about Hb 211 to continue in 2018. Main problem cost. Home Inspector licence $250.00 every 3 yrs. Approximately $110,000 every 3 yrs. Annual cost to state of Ohio $412,000 every year. So far not worth it to state of Ohio. Even if dues where every year, it would not cover cost. It is said that there are 437 home inspectors in Ohio. If all 437 applied for licence it will cost each Inspector approximately $1,000 a yr. just to cover cost. If about 25% do not apply for licence it will leave the State in a big financial hole.
Just curious how you came up with the cost numbers

Bobby Hamilton
Bloodhound Home Inspection Services
www.BloodhoundHomeInspections.com

Providing guaranteed home and termite inspections in the Akron, Canton, Youngstown, Boardman, Canfield, Poland, Howland, Warren and surrounding Northeast Ohio areas.
Old 9/15/17, 1:10 PM
New User

Please Note: Delton Crouthers is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

In everyones opinion if this passes how long are we talking before its set in stone ?
Old 9/15/17, 6:42 PM
Certified Master Inspector

HB0211IN (1).pdf

I found the figures in this summary of HB 211

Honest&Detail Property Evaluation Services LLC.
Loraincountyhomeinspector.com
440-328-4142
Certified Master Inspector CMI®
Old 9/18/17, 5:26 PM
Active Poster

Bill being changed: https://www.nachi.org/forum/f14/inte...ensing-124405/
Old 2/13/18, 8:43 AM

FYI - ALERT: Ohio REALTORS to launch ‘Call For Action’ on home inspector licensure next week! | Ohio Association of Realtors

Kevin M. Leonard
The Ohio Home Inspections Company
Cincinnati Ohio
513-895-7700
Old 2/13/18, 3:58 PM

Another FYI - Action Center

Kevin M. Leonard
Cincinnati Ohio
513-895-7700
Old 2/13/18, 4:20 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

I keep telling all the agents I know that thinks this is a great idea. "be careful what you wish for". I love the look on their faces when I tell them that.

"Putting your next investment in our sights"
Matt Adams
SharpShooter Inspections
www.sharpshooterinspections.com
N.E. Ohio
Old 2/13/18, 7:33 PM

As long as Kevin posted that link, I clicked on it.
I was able to change the language in the scripted letter to my views and sent it on its' way.
You might as well use the tools that the agents (and Kevin) gave us.

Bill Forrest
3619 Rockport Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44111
(216) 403-4511

Old 2/13/18, 7:36 PM

See above.
I just got confirmation that my email was sent to my State Representative.

Bill Forrest
3619 Rockport Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44111
(216) 403-4511

Old 2/14/18, 7:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to jfrederick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wforrest View Post
I was able to change the language in the scripted letter to my views and sent it on its' way.
Can you share what you wrote?

http://northwestohiohomeinspector.com

Defiance home inspector
Northwest Ohio home inspector
Old 2/14/18, 8:32 AM

Joshua,
These are my views on portions of the Bill. You know what they say about opinions.

I am very fortunate to have been provided the opportunity to operate a Home Inspection business in the State of Ohio. I belong to several national home inspection organizations, associations and societies which have stringent Code of Ethics and Standards of Procedures regarding the performance of home inspections.

The current proposed Bill, Ohio HB 211, governing Home Inspectors contains language that does not help the Ohio consumer and is detrimental to the Home Inspection industry in the State of Ohio. The Bill, as written, will adopt Code of Ethics and Standards of Procedures of a select society. This society will be the only entity which may interpret and change at any time, these Code of Ethics and Standards of Procedures. I do not believe it is wise to put the interpretation of a State Law into the hands of private organization. Furthermore, any Code of Ethics and Standards of Procedures included in the Bill should be “Authored” by the State.

The current proposed House Bill 211 is, quite frankly, a money grab. It will funnel money to testing organizations and other organization providing continuing education outside of the State of Ohio. The passing of the National Home Inspectors Examination (NHIE) will be required. The NHIE is a flawed examination consisting of questions which are outside the Standards of Practice of all nationally recognized organizations representing home inspectors. Furthermore, the NHIE is not an independent organization. The NHIE is the American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI) veiled attempt to misguide law-makers into thinking the NHIE is an independent test.

Although HB 211 is touted as beneficial to the Ohio consumer, it is not. If passed, the law would require a bare minimum home inspection. The additional costs to home inspectors to do business in the State of Ohio will be passed onto to the consumer. The consumer will be getting less of a home inspection for a significantly higher cost.

I ask that you DO NOT support HB 211 governing Home Inspectors. HB 211 is detrimental to the Citizens of the State of Ohio and will only profit certain big businesses operating outside of the State of Ohio.

Bill Forrest
3619 Rockport Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44111
(216) 403-4511

Old 2/15/18, 8:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to jfrederick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wforrest View Post
Joshua,
These are my views on portions of the Bill. You know what they say about opinions.

I am very fortunate to have been provided the opportunity to operate a Home Inspection business in the State of Ohio. I belong to several national home inspection organizations, associations and societies which have stringent Code of Ethics and Standards of Procedures regarding the performance of home inspections.

The current proposed Bill, Ohio HB 211, governing Home Inspectors contains language that does not help the Ohio consumer and is detrimental to the Home Inspection industry in the State of Ohio. The Bill, as written, will adopt Code of Ethics and Standards of Procedures of a select society. This society will be the only entity which may interpret and change at any time, these Code of Ethics and Standards of Procedures. I do not believe it is wise to put the interpretation of a State Law into the hands of private organization. Furthermore, any Code of Ethics and Standards of Procedures included in the Bill should be “Authored” by the State.

The current proposed House Bill 211 is, quite frankly, a money grab. It will funnel money to testing organizations and other organization providing continuing education outside of the State of Ohio. The passing of the National Home Inspectors Examination (NHIE) will be required. The NHIE is a flawed examination consisting of questions which are outside the Standards of Practice of all nationally recognized organizations representing home inspectors. Furthermore, the NHIE is not an independent organization. The NHIE is the American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI) veiled attempt to misguide law-makers into thinking the NHIE is an independent test.

Although HB 211 is touted as beneficial to the Ohio consumer, it is not. If passed, the law would require a bare minimum home inspection. The additional costs to home inspectors to do business in the State of Ohio will be passed onto to the consumer. The consumer will be getting less of a home inspection for a significantly higher cost.

I ask that you DO NOT support HB 211 governing Home Inspectors. HB 211 is detrimental to the Citizens of the State of Ohio and will only profit certain big businesses operating outside of the State of Ohio.
Thank you. I concur with your sentiments 100%. I'm going to try and send something today.

http://northwestohiohomeinspector.com

Defiance home inspector
Northwest Ohio home inspector
Need a home inspection in West Virginia? Check out InterNACHI's listing of West Virginia certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 2/16/18, 3:27 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

I used the link also to contact our representative. Thanks for the link Kevin!

James Taylor
Cincinnati OH 45245
513-491-4230
Old 2/16/18, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor14 View Post
I used the link also to contact our representative. Thanks for the link Kevin!
Your welcome James.

Kevin M. Leonard
Cincinnati Ohio
513-895-7700