Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Ohio Home Inspectors This is a place for Ohio InterNACHI home inspectors and other inspectors in Ohio to discuss local home inspection topics. Become a home inspector in Ohio

Old 1/9/19, 11:20 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Default Re: Licensing Bill coming to Ohio

Thanks for your responses.
I kinda figured that type of timeline.
Many of you Ohio inspectors I notice are CMI's and I encourage you each to pursue contacting either the current or incoming administrations to try to get a seat on the Board. Having someone from the InterNACHI world would be great. Of course, I encourage any Certified Inspector, but I believe you CMI's would have the experience the Board needs. It might be a longshot, but you cannot know unless you try.
I have been doing inspections for about 12 years now (I made sure I never marketed myself as being "certified" and hated the fact that I was not "certified") and I considered NACHI years ago and I even considered ASHI. But my finances did not allow me to make the jump to a full membership.
But as I moved forward in my business model I came back to consider certification and found that InterNACHI had what I truly needed. I have been impressed at the quality of training and resources available.
I will be surprised if I qualify for grandfathering given that I have only been InterNACHI certified since December of '18. I am not apprehensive of the licensing process, however I am nervous of having a lot of realtors dictating the quality of inspections our customers receive. I do not want to see inspections "Seller" friendly. I perform "seller" inspections, but those are way different from a "Buyers" standpoint. Seller inspections just help the seller make necessary repairs prior to putting the house on the market (as a matter of fact, I do not even call those "inspections", I call them "Pre-Market Assessments"). However, "Buyer" inspections make sure that the customer has vital data in making their purchasing decision based on the InterNACHI SOP. Note: I have programmed my own inspection software to not allow me to perform both a "seller" and "buyer" inspection on the same home within 5 years.
Anyway, sorry for the long winded dessertation. But we move on to a new era in Ohio. Good Luck to you ALL!

Christopher DeYoe
Your HomeWorks, LLC
www.yourhomeworksllc.com
(567) 351-1074
"We'll make sure your home works."

Last edited by cdeyoe; 1/9/19 at 11:24 AM..
Need a home inspection in West Virginia? Check out InterNACHI's listing of West Virginia certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 1/9/19, 10:24 PM
Community Guest

Please Note: mparks2 is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeyoe View Post
When can we expect the exam process for licensing to begin AND can we continue to perform inspections while this is being setup? Anyone know?
Everything but electrical inspections unless you claim that you were doing them before 1970! Read 3783 ORC. You have never been allowed to perform an electrical inspection in Ohio unless you had a "Certificate of Competency" issued by the State of Ohio.

May I suggest that you find an ESI to work with you.

Don't feel bad because OCILB electrical contractors can't do electrical inspections either, nor can a PE.

Two reasons to remove an electrical panel cover.
1. To perform electrical work.
2. To Inspect the panel. Again read R.C. 3783.

Answer me this. Why should you be able to do what I had to, first, ask permission to take the test then I had to PASS the test.

With this new law this will finally stop.

I'm not competing with HI but if you want to add electrical inspections to your services

I would be willing to to offer a discount exclusively to ???

Certifications - The Parks Consulting Group, LLC
Old 1/12/19, 7:41 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeyoe View Post
Thanks for your responses.
I kinda figured that type of timeline.
Many of you Ohio inspectors I notice are CMI's and I encourage you each to pursue contacting either the current or incoming administrations to try to get a seat on the Board. Having someone from the InterNACHI world would be great. Of course, I encourage any Certified Inspector, but I believe you CMI's would have the experience the Board needs. It might be a longshot, but you cannot know unless you try.
I have been doing inspections for about 12 years now (I made sure I never marketed myself as being "certified" and hated the fact that I was not "certified") and I considered NACHI years ago and I even considered ASHI. But my finances did not allow me to make the jump to a full membership.
But as I moved forward in my business model I came back to consider certification and found that InterNACHI had what I truly needed. I have been impressed at the quality of training and resources available.
I will be surprised if I qualify for grandfathering given that I have only been InterNACHI certified since December of '18. I am not apprehensive of the licensing process, however I am nervous of having a lot of realtors dictating the quality of inspections our customers receive. I do not want to see inspections "Seller" friendly. I perform "seller" inspections, but those are way different from a "Buyers" standpoint. Seller inspections just help the seller make necessary repairs prior to putting the house on the market (as a matter of fact, I do not even call those "inspections", I call them "Pre-Market Assessments"). However, "Buyer" inspections make sure that the customer has vital data in making their purchasing decision based on the InterNACHI SOP. Note: I have programmed my own inspection software to not allow me to perform both a "seller" and "buyer" inspection on the same home within 5 years.
Anyway, sorry for the long winded dessertation. But we move on to a new era in Ohio. Good Luck to you ALL!
Just based on what you wrote you should be eligible for grandfathering.

-Three years inspecting
-I assume you've done 200 inspections in that time frame
-80 hours of training (if you did that NACHI certification courses)

Pay your $250 to the state and give them some fingerprints, boom your're a licensed home inspector. The grandfathering requirements leave pretty much everyone a way in.
Old 1/15/19, 11:04 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Since my business has not quite hit 3 years yet-

Anyone know how they will check the 200 inspections? Will this require me to send them in, or a portion, or will it be a list?

Any clue as to how the peer review session will work? can this be another inspector?

How would you get 5 home inspections verified in compliance? (Who offers this service?) Does InterNachi?

Thanks for the help
Old 1/17/19, 5:27 PM
Community Guest

Please Note: mparks2 is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilhelm4 View Post
Since my business has not quite hit 3 years yet-

Anyone know how they will check the 200 inspections? Will this require me to send them in, or a portion, or will it be a list?

Any clue as to how the peer review session will work? can this be another inspector?

How would you get 5 home inspections verified in compliance? (Who offers this service?) Does InterNachi?

Thanks for the help
I think that grandfathering should be liberal. I would like to be involved so that the new rules are fair to Inspectors. Having HI under the Division of Real Estate is b.s. under Commerce yes but under the Board of Building Standards. You should all try to get it moved to the BBS. I'm not a fan of how the new law is written. I'm going to try to be at all the meetings about this subject.

I have a big mouth and could be of help if needed! Lol

I want the new rules to be fair