Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Minnesota Home Inspectors This is a place for Minnesota InterNACHI inspectors to discuss Minnesota home inspection topics. Become a home inspector in Minnesota

Old 2/28/19, 7:49 AM
Student Inspector

Default Re: MN Radon Licensing Act meeting announcement...

This discussion should move forward to dealing with the law. I, for one, am now licensed. The difficulty I have is quality assurance in a market where I might see a total of 20 or 30 radon tests annually. My community is very small and rural.

Carbon canisters and QA were two huge conflicting issues. It's so easy to tamper with carbon canisters, and even the realtors tell sellers what to do (open windows periodically). Yes, one can have a QA program with carbon canisters, but it involves tamper tape and lots of other hassles. I decided to go with a CRM instead, because of the QA/tamper issues.

Price then becomes a huge issue due to low anticipated volume. Leasing programs for CRM's were out of the question, at $150 +/- for monthly fee. Then, for multiple foundation types, I'd end up back with carbon canisters or need a second CRM. Carbon canisers, and once again the QA program hassles become a huge issue.

I finally decided to purchase two CRM's and finance over a 2 year period in order for the "lease" cost to cash flow, based on my estimated revenue. This was a long decision process, but at this point I'm satisfied with the chain of decisions.

I considered at the end both the Sunnuclear products and Airthings. Both would work for my cash flow and financing choices. I did not find any other CRM's to consider for purchase.

I am waiting arrival of my devices, I have received my license, and I'm about to market to my local realtors. Good thing is I have a good relationship with my realtors and several encouraged me to do this. I'm also the only licensed measurement person within 100 miles.

With out of pocket costs for training and devices, I have $3500 in to this endeavor. The value of my time in lost revenue is not included. Time will tell how this pays out. Part of the reason I decided to get radon licensed is to nudge more realtors to use me for home inspections.

I'd be interested in hearing how others are approaching this issue. It is here to stay in Minnesota, and definitely a risk to undertake as a business in rural Minnesota.

It will also be interesting in how realtors approach this issue. I know one realtor who told one buyer to place the carbon canister in the home and then send it in as a private party. There will be ways around this, but that's always the case.

Last edited by msenty; 2/28/19 at 7:55 AM..
Need a home inspection in South Dakota? Check out InterNACHI's listing of South Dakota certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 2/28/19, 11:33 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

I no longer offer Radon testing in MN.

I am willing to arrange someone else doing it.

As a Professional Home Inspector, I support the privacy of my clients.

You own your private information. I won't sell or give away yours, others do

www.InspectraPro.com
www.MinnesotaHomeInspector.biz

Michael Larson
Hudson, WI

Services provided in East MN and West WI

Call me

Old 2/28/19, 11:57 AM

Sold my CRM's and if I do an inspection with radon I sub it out for $125 and charge $150.00. Way too expensive in time and money to do radon myself. There are lots of people who are certified that charge $125.00. Just another example of government overreach.
Old 3/2/19, 7:56 PM
Student Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by plesieur View Post
Sold my CRM's and if I do an inspection with radon I sub it out for $125 and charge $150.00. Way too expensive in time and money to do radon myself. There are lots of people who are certified that charge $125.00. Just another example of government overreach.
Overreach? Really? How's that? Is this fine with you: Buyer has realtor place carbon canister devices and the realtor tells seller to keep windows open, reducing the reading.

Radon is #2 cause of lung cancer death, behind smoking and ahead of second hand smoke, and the public is not aware (is this an issue of personal responsibility or is it an issue of government responsibility for the public good and defense?). Who is responsible for informing the public? Government, another entity, or the unknowing individual?

Who is advocating for the buyer? We may differ, but I do support professional licensing to establish minimum standards (building contractors, home inspectors, radon testing professionals to mention a few). At the same time, the purpose of InterNACHI is the same as government licensing, to establish minimum standards. Like government licensing, I don't see InterNACHI's role in setting standards as overreach either.

I know this forum gets pretty snippy, but the intent of my post is to share information between those who accept the licensing of radon professionals in MN, and how they are addressing the issues of the business. Licensing is here, whether you think the government is overreaching or not. Hopefully this discussion can move forward from this reality. If not here, I'll continue to look for spaces where this kind of discussion can happen.
Old 3/3/19, 4:58 AM

Calm down kemosabe, yes government overreach. I didn't say not to test because you are correct, radon can cause lung cancer and having survived cancer I am the last person who would say don't test for radon.

Problem in my opinion is radon test licensing was successfully lobbied for by companies who would benefit from licensing and like contractor licensing it adds time and expense but does little to protect consumers.

As far as anyone being snippy, see whos looking at you the net time you shave.
Old 3/3/19, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plesieur View Post
Problem in my opinion is radon test licensing was successfully lobbied for by companies who would benefit from licensing and like contractor licensing it adds time and expense but does little to protect consumers.
Exactly.

As a Professional Home Inspector, I support the privacy of my clients.

You own your private information. I won't sell or give away yours, others do

www.InspectraPro.com
www.MinnesotaHomeInspector.biz

Michael Larson
Hudson, WI

Services provided in East MN and West WI

Call me