ISN sells out?

It seems ISN is no longer the trusted company it once was.

Ian, please elaborate on your disgust. Integration with Porch seems helpful and your report is not affected.

Porch now has my entire client and real estate agent database that they will be marketing to. Without my permission. I have a promise on my web site:
“I promise that I will not provide to any third party any personal or private information (to include contact information) about my clients or the property I have inspected.”
I’m feeling like this is a major breach of trust from ISN, especially since we only found out about it after the fact and can not opt out of the Porch program.

A software vendor is not opposed to client data being sold. *Noted

It appears there are 2 inspection service choices.

1. You simply do an inspection and build your business on that.
  2. You partner with vendors so your clients can be pitched on services.

Internachi members support both models so I guess whatever you think is best for your clients is the way to go.

Personally I feel the never ending flood of emails I get on my personal account to buy goods and services is a nuisance and even after unsubscribing (which works only half the time) I think enough is enough.

I would not give my clients information to vendors. How is this helping anyone beyond the vendor? Can’t people just Google for what they want?

All,
Please allow ISN and Porch to take in all of the inspectors feedback and address comments and concerns. There is much being said. I just ask that you give it some time today. Thanks.

I left the following comment to Dan on Youtube. It is my sincere hope that you will continue to support those companies who do not allow their data and their client’s personal information to be shared with third parties. In fact, allowing it to happen could put some inspectors in violation of the confidentiality requirements imposed on them by their state licensing agencies. Please make all third-party collaboration and data sharing opt-in only.

I agree that ISN seems to have taken a turn for the dark side that I am EXTREMELY unhappy with. I pay ISN a good deal of money for the services I get and was told that all of the data about my clients would be kept confidential, now it seem they are giving it all (my client data) to Porch, a company a do not personally like or want to have my client lists. I sincerely hope that ISN is planning on giving its members that do not want this have this integration an opportunity to opt out.

ISN will decide based on revenue. If Porch makes them more money then they go with Porch.
The point of being in business is to make money. Having said that, this would be a good time for an ISN competitor to make a move in getting that business.

https://porch.com/

From the other thread on this subject…
How woud this be legal in Florida…

468.8319 Prohibitions; penalties.—
(1) A person may not:
(a) Effective July 1, 2011, practice or offer to practice home inspection services unless the person has complied with the provisions of this part.
(b) Effective July 1, 2011, use the name or title “certified home inspector,” “registered home inspector,” “licensed home inspector,” “home inspector,” “professional home inspector,” or any combination thereof unless the person has complied with the provisions of this part.
© Present as his or her own the license of another.
(d) Knowingly give false or forged evidence to the department or an employee thereof.
(e) Use or attempt to use a license that has been suspended or revoked.
(f) Perform or offer to perform any repairs to a home on which the inspector or the inspector’s company has prepared a home inspection report. This paragraph does not apply to:
1. A home warranty company that is affiliated with or retains a home inspector to perform repairs pursuant to a claim made under a home warranty contract.
2. A certified contractor who is classified in s. 489.105(3) as a Division I contractor. However, the department may adopt rules requiring that, if such contractor performs the home inspection and offers to perform the repairs, the contract for repairs provided to the homeowner discloses that he or she has the right to request competitive bids.
(g) Inspect any property in which the inspector or the inspector’s company has any financial or transfer interest.
(h) Offer or deliver any compensation, inducement, or reward to any broker or agent therefor for the referral of the owner of the inspected property to the inspector or the inspection company.
(i) Accept an engagement to make an omission or prepare a report in which the inspection itself, or the fee payable for the inspection, is contingent upon either the conclusions in the report, preestablished findings, or the close of escrow.

Does Porch provide our home inspection services since they share our data, why can’t they list us on their website???

And there’s always… https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/protecting-personal-information-guide-business

ISN must announce an opt-out for their clients (home inspection companies) immediately or we are all witnessing a formerly awesome company commit suicide. Home inspectors tend to be a poor choice of folks selected to annoy. Word will continue to spread, more warnings will be issued, real estate agencies with conflicting programs will get angry/involved and long deep memories will be engrained. The top home inspection companies in America have taken notice and need answers quickly as contingency plans are now being developed. This is make or break and if nothing else, will be fascinating to watch. Choose wisely on this day, you are under a microscope and this is a Category 5 Equifax data breach moment.

There are vendors who are turning home inspection into a circus act. I’ve been in business 25 years, 18 of which I have been publishing inspection software. I have NEVER sold any information to anyone for any reason and I NEVER WILL!

I may go to my grave as the poorest home inspector and inspection software publisher ever but, I’ll go out knowing that I did all I could to maintain the integrity of our industry.

You DO NOT want a default OPT-OUT… You want a manual OPT-IN where you must go in and take action to become a part of the program! Do not trust opt-out’s. They always fail at some point, and then you have an “Equifax malfunction” on your hands!

Editted/Corrected… Thanks Mike!

Exactly except the firm with the 143 million breached accounts is Equifax.

I signed up for the webinar later today. I fully expect Dan and crew to back walk this thing and go into damage control mode. I’ve not seen one positive post here, on FB, or anywhere else from a home inspector. The opt-out will be forthcoming. I think once every inspector opts out, or enough inspectors opt out, the deal will essentially be nullified. I love ISN, it would kill me to stop using them. I’m optimistic that Dan will make it right.

George writes:

Nor has InterNACHI.

It needs to be an opt-in. You’re automatically out unless you consciously choose to opt-in.