Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Inspection Support Network (ISN) The Inspection Support Network is the world leader in connecting, streamlining and automating all aspects of running any inspection business.

Old 3/4/18, 6:21 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Default Re: Porch using my client info even though they have been directed not to

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromicko View Post
"almost all???" Other than Nathan Thornberry, name some.
Perhaps we could start with the vendor to whom you have devoted this very section of your message board to promote ... and to whom the topic of this thread (another vendor that you promote) is addressed to.
Need a home inspection in Pennsylvania? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Pennsylvania certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 3/4/18, 8:51 PM
Active Poster

Default Re: Porch using my client info even though they have been directed not to

They are one and the same.... Porch. Porch doesn't sell data. Never did.

Last edited by gromicko; 3/4/18 at 8:55 PM..
Old 3/4/18, 8:57 PM

Quote:
They are one and the same.... Porch. Porch doesn't sell data. Never did.
I think they do. I think that they sell the information about the home inspector's clients to contractors that pay them for leads that are looking for work. That is where the evidence seems to point, anyway. "With Porch you only pay for the leads you receive." Lead brokers, Nick. It's how they are paid.

Last edited by jbushart; 3/4/18 at 9:04 PM..
Old 3/4/18, 9:12 PM
Active Poster

Porch is the contractor. They either hire contractors or employ them to do the work. Porch doesn't sell consumer data, they respond to consumer requests.

In our industry, there are only two sellers of consumer information that I am aware of. The second largest is Nathan. He actually re-sells consumer information.

Do you know who the largest seller of consumer information is?
Old 3/4/18, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Porch is the contractor. They either hire contractors or employ them to do the work. Porch doesn't sell consumer data, they respond to consumer requests.

In our industry, there are only two sellers of consumer information that I am aware of. The second largest is Nathan. He actually re-sells consumer information.

Do you know who the largest seller of consumer information is?
Porch is a lead broker. They harvest data from home inspectors, process it, and sell it to contractors who agree to pay them for each lead they provide. I understand they are exploring the possibility of selling fart candles, too. It's a lead broker kinda thing, you know.

By the way, I formed a roofing business about an hour ago. I filled out a profile for Porch, hit "send", and they immediately offered me two leads to buy from them for roofing jobs. They neither contracted with me or employed me to do the work before offering to sell me a lead for a roof installation for $62.50 and a lead to fix a skylight for $10. If I pay them for the leads I can contact the customer and set up the job.

BTW, I have since dissolved my one-hour old roofing business. I have never installed one and decided it might be a bit dangerous for me to train for this, so late in my life. Thus, I decided not to buy the leads from them.

Lead brokers, Nick. That's all they are ... but then, you know that.

Last edited by jbushart; 3/4/18 at 10:07 PM..
Old 3/4/18, 9:40 PM
Active Poster

And who is selling them information about bad roofs?
Old 3/4/18, 9:55 PM

Quote:
And who is selling them information about bad roofs?
Who knows? Home inspectors are only one source of many, I'm sure.

BTW, I just got an email from Porch offering me $100 worth of "free leads" if I give them my credit card number. LOL

Last edited by jbushart; 3/4/18 at 10:02 PM..
Old 3/4/18, 10:49 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Quote:
Porch is not actually a contractor more like a middle man/pimp. All they do is transfer leads from potential customers to actual contractors/entrepreneurs and let the customer choose and pay who they hire. They do Not screen these contractors. Anyone can claim to be able to do any type of job without any proof.

As Jim has stated the contractors pay Porch for these potential leads/jobs.
Old 3/4/18, 10:53 PM

Quote:
The Guarantee goes with the home, so we need to know where the home is. Our goal with the program is to make certain no one buys a home without the guarantee in the U.S. and Canada, so we need a full address. There is more than one home with an address that starts with "234 Elm" in North America. We don't release those addresses, although no one would need them from us anyway as addresses of homes that are for sale, under contract, and/or have sold are public information anyway.
I get that.

But that's not how it used to be.

It used to be "234 Elm" street was enough.

The change corresponded to when Porch got involved.

Seems a little too timely to just be a coincidence.

------------------------

Though more recently my problem is ISN and the Buyback keep having an error msg, and ISN keeps telling me I need to re-sign up for the BB. And when I do, I get the sales pitch from Porch.

Once, I understand, but this is the 3rd time I've gotten this error, and the 2nd time in just one week.
Old 3/4/18, 11:46 PM

Send a message via ICQ to jkeilson

Quote:

1. Porch is the contractor. They either hire contractors or employ them to do the work. Porch doesn't sell consumer data, they respond to consumer requests.

2. Do you know who the largest seller of consumer information is?

1. Not true at all. They are more like a paid middleman.

2. My 1st wild quests would be you? But I know you are going to say it's the home inspectors that have crossed over to the dark side for pennies ? of course with you helping to entice them and also letting them slide on the breaking of your COE.

Jim

Bring on the Rukas !!

"We Respect Our Clients Right To Privacy"

Jim Keilson Certified Master Inspector

MarylandHomeInspectionServices.com

www.MarylandRadonTesting.org

Specializing in All Air Quality
Mold and Radon Gas Testing

State of Maryland License# 31141
Virginia License#3380 000468
InterNACHI ID: NACHI10101807
(IAC2). Certification # IAC2-02-0919
Maryland Home Inspectors, Also servicing All of Northern Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Old 3/5/18, 1:01 AM
Active Poster

Quote:
It used to be "234 Elm" street was enough.
Nothing to do with Porch. Too many homes in North America share a street number and street name. We need full addresses because the guarantee is based on the address. These addresses are already public information and so no one pays for them (worthless), and we wouldn't sell them anyway, and we don't snail mail anything to them.

What is valuable is the person's name, phone number, email, and information found in the inspection report. But we don't release that information either... we don't even collect it.

Last edited by gromicko; 3/5/18 at 1:06 AM..
Old 3/5/18, 2:09 PM

Maybe the time has come to really revive the concept of TrustYourInspector.org. The domain is parked. we could revive it and try and push it. TYI could have volunteer members help vet these offers. I am sure that once you peel the onion shin back, many sell the client data.

The sale of ANY client data, without their knowledge and consent, is crappy IMO

TYI had a pledge that the inspector members didn't sell client data... be didn't trade it or do business with companies that relied on our clients data.

Joseph Farsetta, CMI
Co-Founder, International Association of Certified Home Inspectors

Driven by Principles, Separated by Character
I Pledge... HONESTY. INTEGRITY. CONFIDENTIALITY.
www.trustyourinspector.org

The opinions and statements expressed herein are mine and mine alone. They should not be construed as legal advice, marketing advice, or specific to any area of expertise. Readers should weigh all factors equally and understand the verbiage and the context in which it was presented.
Old 3/5/18, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfarsetta View Post
Maybe the time has come to really revive the concept of TrustYourInspector.org. The domain is parked. we could revive it and try and push it. TYI could have volunteer members help vet these offers. I am sure that once you peel the onion shin back, many sell the client data.

The sale of ANY client data, without their knowledge and consent, is crappy IMO

TYI had a pledge that the inspector members didn't sell client data... be didn't trade it or do business with companies that relied on our clients data.

Bring it on Joe. I do believe all of us original pledgers are all still here and active

Jim

Maryland Home Inspectors, Also servicing All of Northern Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Need a home inspection in Pennsylvania? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Pennsylvania certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 3/5/18, 10:48 PM

Quote:

I am sorry Nick Gromicko, (Founder of InterNACHI). I forgot to thank you on behalf of any and all potential Home Inspection clients of any Home Inspector that gives away any widgets they bought from Nathan Thornberry.

I always figured he was a Data broker that buys and sells some Home Inspectors clients private data to 3rd parties. I never thought he was number 2 ? wow that would make him a big player in the data brokering business.

Thank you again for making this very clear for all to see.

Jim

Old 3/6/18, 9:11 AM

It looks like the personal contact information for another poor homeowner close to me has been put up for sale on the open market. These poor folks appear to have made the mistake of telling someone they trusted that they need a composite shingle roof replacement.

I could buy their contact information from Porch for only $24 (must be a small roof) and then call them and use their roof for practice (since I have never installed one) or sell the information to someone else willing to pay for it for whatever their intentions might be - but I won't.

One thing I have learned is how all of these bad reviews from homeowners who have used this service have come about. This is really frightening to see.