Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Inspection Support Network (ISN) The Inspection Support Network is the world leader in connecting, streamlining and automating all aspects of running any inspection business.

Old 3/6/18, 11:05 AM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Send a message via ICQ to jkeilson
Default Re: Porch using my client info even though they have been directed not to

[QUOTE=jbushart;1866300]It looks like the personal contact information for another poor homeowner close to me has been put up for sale on the open market. These poor folks appear to have made the mistake of telling someone they trusted that they need a composite shingle roof replacement.

I could buy their contact information from Porch for only $24 (must be a small roof) and then call them and use their roof for practice (since I have never installed one) or sell the information to someone else willing to pay for it for whatever their intentions might be - but I won't.

One thing I have learned is how all of these bad reviews from homeowners who have used this service have come about. This is really frightening to see.[/QUOTE]

I can't believe a company like Lowes would allow this? I bet it is a short lived relationship.

Jim

"We Respect Our Clients Right To Privacy"

Jim Keilson Certified Master Inspector

MarylandHomeInspectionServices.com

www.MarylandRadonTesting.org

Specializing in All Air Quality
Mold and Radon Gas Testing

State of Maryland License# 31141
Virginia License#3380 000468
InterNACHI ID: NACHI10101807
(IAC2). Certification # IAC2-02-0919
Maryland Home Inspectors, Also servicing All of Northern Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Need a home inspection in Pennsylvania? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Pennsylvania certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 3/7/18, 6:56 PM
Certified Master Inspector

Default Re: Porch using my client info even though they have been directed not to

Buying and selling information is one thing. They aren't even offering to do that. I am paying them, ISN to process information that I provide in their platform. They are then able to turn a potential profit with something they are just taking. That being, my clients info. They should also not be referencing our inspection or that I worked with their potential customer as they are then, using me to market their services. And paying me nothing in return. That is what they were doing according to my client. They dropped my name.

Bigger problem to me.

Also, Setting up systems so that the default is us choosing to take part unless we uncheck things is garbage.

I paid them to (ISN) to process 711 clients last year. They just took the clients. No offer to pay for them, provide lower rates on ISN usage...etc. (A philosophical discussion, so hold off on all the pledge stuff...it wasn't the point and I am not saying I am for selling my client info) I am not about giving something so valuable away for free or on principle.

Assuming that you can take something is a lot like..... stealing. You should be automatically opted out....until you opt in. Not the other way around. If that is not the case, than it should be fixed.
Old 3/7/18, 8:06 PM
Emmanuel J. Scanlan, TREC# 7593 Emmanuel J. Scanlan, TREC# 7593 is offline
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbelrose View Post
Buying and selling information is one thing. They aren't even offering to do that. I am paying them, ISN to process information that I provide in their platform. They are then able to turn a potential profit with something they are just taking. That being, my clients info. They should also not be referencing our inspection or that I worked with their potential customer as they are then, using me to market their services. And paying me nothing in return. That is what they were doing according to my client. They dropped my name.

Bigger problem to me.

Also, Setting up systems so that the default is us choosing to take part unless we uncheck things is garbage.

I paid them to (ISN) to process 711 clients last year. They just took the clients. No offer to pay for them, provide lower rates on ISN usage...etc. (A philosophical discussion, so hold off on all the pledge stuff...it wasn't the point and I am not saying I am for selling my client info) I am not about giving something so valuable away for free or on principle.

Assuming that you can take something is a lot like..... stealing. You should be automatically opted out....until you opt in. Not the other way around. If that is not the case, than it should be fixed.
That's what many of these related threads have been about. Inspectors who use these online systems have absolutely no idea what is being done with their client's information regardless of any agreements or promises made. In your case your clients have to let you know they are being marketed to from information that most likely came from you. If your clients had not told you then you would never know!

The only way to truly stop this is to stop using these services and various products. Obviously that won't happen in enough volume to stop the problem. So when Inspectors run into this they should be letting others know, as you did, and dropping the Vendor like a hot potato!

Awards Committee Member

The InterNACHI Awards Committee is the final
authority of issuance of any award the committee offers.

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!

TREC License# 7593
ICC Residential Combination Inspector #5247015-R5 (Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing and Building)

Professional Real Estate Inspections for the counties of Collin, Rockwall, Hunt, Dallas, Tarrant, Kaufman and all surrounding areas. If you want the the best you will find it with PS Inspection & Property Services LLC!
Old 3/7/18, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbelrose View Post

Bigger problem to me.

Jeff, do you have Home Owner Network (HON) on in your ISN settings?

Go into your office settings and check in the "Working With Other Vendors" group, or whatever it's called and make sure you have Porch and HON turned off because they can get info from there also.

Hearth and Homes Inspections
440-954-0465
www.homeinspectorofmentor.com
www.euclid-home-inspector.com
www.hearthandhomesinspections.com
www.lakecountyohiohomeinspectors.com
Control your own destiny, or someone else will.
Old 3/8/18, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromicko View Post
They are one and the same.... Porch. Porch doesn't sell data. Never did.
So why did Porch buy ISN and HON?

Braun Inspection Consultants
Serving Jefferson City, Columbia, Sedalia, Fulton and Lake of the Ozarks

Last edited by jbraun; 3/10/18 at 5:02 AM..
Old 3/9/18, 6:14 PM
Community Guest

I stopped using HON a long time ago.I got it for free at the Christmas party. Even then it was overpriced.

Certified Inspection Services, LLC
5521 Mission Road #1422, Bonsall, CA 92003
Check out the HG User Group on FB
ITC Certified Level I Thermographer

Last edited by frotte; 3/9/18 at 6:20 PM..
Old 3/9/18, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraun View Post
So why did Porch by ISN and HON?
Not about them selling it....that is what this thread morphed into

It is about them blatantly taking it, assuming it was theirs to take even though I am paying them for a service and plugging customers into their platform. There is no agreement that they can just take the information and try to profit from it. That is not the way good business is done.

Further, they have set up defaults in their program that you have to opt out of so that they don't use your customer information. They didn't have a right to it in the first place. It is basically stealing in a way.

I have a bigger issue with that and equally, with them cold calling my customers and dropping my name to further try and make a sale. Again, all without offering me anything in return. I was essentially paying them to do this in a default setting.

BS!
Old 3/10/18, 5:16 AM

Jeff, I made the comment because what Nick said contradicts what he said in an earlier thread about the corporation, that owns American Family, buying Home Gauge.
Also Porch does exchange leads to contractors for a fee. So his comment is very puzzling, which I am still waiting for clarification from him on what he meant.

Old 3/12/18, 5:36 PM
Active Poster

Quote:
Jeff, I made the comment because what Nick said contradicts what he said in an earlier thread about the corporation, that owns American Family, buying Home Gauge.
What are the contradictory statements?
Old 3/13/18, 2:31 PM

Nick,
You claimed in the HG thread that the insurance company did not buy HG to make the software better, but fail to say that about Porch buying ISN or HON. Have not seen any major upgrades to either companies since Porch bought them.

Old 3/19/18, 9:21 PM

I got more calls last week. They are still doing it, even after they have been told to stop. They clearly don't care. If Home Inspector Pro pulls off anything remotely close to ISN....I am out. I may even throw a few chairs through windows as I go out the door.
Old 3/19/18, 9:29 PM

I wonder if Nick has taken any checks off of the wall yet?

Hearth and Homes Inspections
440-954-0465
www.homeinspectorofmentor.com
www.euclid-home-inspector.com
www.hearthandhomesinspections.com
www.lakecountyohiohomeinspectors.com
Control your own destiny, or someone else will.
Old 3/20/18, 3:25 PM

I was wonder the same thing.

Need a home inspection in Pennsylvania? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Pennsylvania certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 3/22/18, 8:49 PM
Active Poster

Quote:
I wonder if Nick has taken any checks off of the wall yet?
One.
Old 3/22/18, 8:51 PM
Active Poster

Quote:
Nick,
You claimed in the HG thread that the insurance company did not buy HG to make the software better, but fail to say that about Porch buying ISN or HON. Have not seen any major upgrades to either companies since Porch bought them.
I didn't say that about Porch buying ISN or HON because I don't know what Porch is going to do with either company.