Has HIP Mobile Always required the cloud service?

I purchased HIP Mobile a few years ago but I never got around to setting it up. I’m looking into setting it up now but apparently it does not work without the cloud service which is an extra cost.

Just wondering if it has always been this way or if there is a way to use HIP Mobile without paying for the cloud service.

Cheers guys

No. The cloud is needed for conversion of the program.

There will probably be some integration with the new office management program that will be rolled out in the new future. It might be taking the place of the cloud.

Yes, it’s been required from the day it was released. This is on our pricing page and all over the website.

We use Amazons AND Google servers to create our “cloud.” We have to pay them for the servers to convert data from desktop to mobile formats and back. We pay them every time you or a client uploads a file and for every day your files are stored. We also don’t charge updates for the mobile software. The Cloud fee helps cover all these costs (some inspectors actually use it so much we lose money on it).

The time saved using mobile on just one inspection more than covers the cost of the cloud service.

^ This.

For me, it’s not about the cost, it’s about the confidentiality, and no matter what anyone says, the “cloud” is NOT secure.

HIP Desktop can be used without the cloud. That obviously doesn’t work with mobile as the data has to be transferred somehow!

2 Likes

It is just as, or more, secure than your personal desktop/server connected to the internet.

1 Like

That’s a ridiculous statement. You have some data to back that up?

1 Like

Nope. But are you saying a person’s personal computer is not at risk of being hacked when connected to the internet? Lol. I would trust my data to Google’s servers long before I would trust it to a stranger’s/home inspector’s PC.

I would also add, if you are locally storing customer data, you better have an action plan in place if you get hacked and a way to notify and provide protection to those affected. That is a big deal nowadays.

For me, hacking is not the concern, it is the peddling of data intentionally (or subversion tactics such as an employee selling access)

2 Likes

Any business that uses computers with client info stored on them should be concerned about hacking or any breach in security.

Companies that sell data in the US typically do it lawfully.

Companies that don’t provide significant safeguards against the illegal access of their customer’s data typically don’t fare well in the US.

Things have changed in the last decade. If you are storing customer data locally, and you are a business, you better be doing it correctly with the proper safeguards and protections for the people whose data you have. That includes ways to notify and offer protection to those involved if you are hacked.

Oh Jesus Christ Ryan, stop beating around the bush and just say it… IT IS THE LAW!!

2 Likes

This is one issue where we are going to disagree - your comment is completely irrelevant, because it doesn’t matter WHERE that data is stored, YOU still have to do all those things - even if the breach was at Google…

Speaking of which… You may want to reconsider your faith in Google to protect your data:

1 Like

Why would you ask that? A not too subtle attempt to accuse the accuser (you too fallacy - TU Quoque) It’s pretty obvious from the words I wrote that I made no assertion one way or the other. Just tired of people making claims because they’d like to believe them without a shred of evidence to support them. If your stating your opinion don’t pretend it’s fact.

1 Like

I have more faith in Google or Amazon to protect my data than I do a stranger with a personal computer connected to the internet. But yes, no matter what, your digital information is at risk once exposed to the internet.

Your reply started by claiming my statement was ridiculous. Is that not an assertion of your opinion on the matter?

Lol. You may want stop reading this forum, or any internet forum, if people expressing their opinion without specifically stating it is an opinion bothers you so much.

Anyways, here is the first result from a Google inquiry. I will let you take it from here so you can develop your own opinion on the matter.