Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Spectora This is a place for Spectora customers to discuss Spectora software and services, and prospective Spectora customers to ask questions and get advice about picking home inspection software and services.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11/28/18, 11:58 PM
Kenton Shepard, CMI's Avatar
Kenton Shepard, CMI Kenton Shepard, CMI is online now
Certified Master Inspector
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 6,625
Send a message via ICQ to kshepard
Default Would this comment go under Information, Limitations or Observations?

Localized portions of the asphalt shingle roof had small blisters visible. Blisters are a cosmetic issue and do not cause premature failure of the shingles or affect their performance. They typically appear during the first 5 years after shingle installation, and are often related to inadequate roof structure ventilation.



Kenton Shepard, CMI Inspector/Instructor


Designer/Builder: House of Horrors 1&2
Author: InterNACHI Narrative Library


Last edited by kshepard; 11/29/18 at 12:03 AM..
Reply With Quote
Need a home inspection in South Carolina? Check out InterNACHI's listing of South Carolina certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
  #2  
Old 11/29/18, 1:28 AM
Chuck Evans's Avatar
Chuck Evans Chuck Evans is online now
Certified Master Inspector ®
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Stagecoach, TX
Posts: 10,578
Default Re: Would this comment go under Information, Limitations or Observations?

I wouldn't report blisters as cosmetic in Houston.



Chuck Evans (TREC #7657)
Level III Infraspection Institute Certified Infrared Thermographer (#8402)
HomeCert Houston Home Inspections & Thermal Inspections Find us on Facebook
The Woodlands Home Inspections
Magnolia TX Home Inspections & Thermography


Houston, TX
_______________________
Awards Committee Member

SUBMIT YOUR AWARD NOMINATIONS HERE

The InterNACHI Awards Committee is the final authority of issuance of any award the committee offers.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11/29/18, 7:25 AM
Roy Lewis, CMI's Avatar
Roy Lewis, CMI Roy Lewis, CMI is online now
Certified Master Inspector ®
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Florida
Posts: 13,346
Default Re: Would this comment go under Information, Limitations or Observations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cevans View Post
I wouldn't report blisters as cosmetic in Houston.
Yep! Observations.




InterNACHI Lifetime Member.
www.1stproinspection.com
roy@1stproinspection.com
Serving Gainesville Florida and surrounding areas.
Florida Certified Contractor #CRC1328001
Florida Certified Home Inspector #HI7019
Deus solus me iudicare potest
#1st Pro Inspection
Well! They may have degrees, but that is not an indicator of common sense or right thinking...M. Larson circa 9-27-2018.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11/29/18, 11:16 AM
Gary D. Rowden Gary D. Rowden is offline
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hemet, CA
Posts: 846
Default Re: Would this comment go under Information, Limitations or Observations?

I would say “Observation”
And I would not include as written



Quote:
Originally Posted by kshepard View Post
Localized portions of the asphalt shingle roof had small blisters visible. Blisters are a cosmetic issue and do not cause premature failure of the shingles or affect their performance. They typically appear during the first 5 years after shingle installation, and are often related to inadequate roof structure ventilation.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11/29/18, 11:34 AM
Kenton Shepard, CMI's Avatar
Kenton Shepard, CMI Kenton Shepard, CMI is online now
Certified Master Inspector
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 6,625
Send a message via ICQ to kshepard
Default Re: Would this comment go under Information, Limitations or Observations?

Guys, this post was a question specifically about how to designate comments in Spectora. Thanks Roy!

To avoid drift, I posted in Roofing inspections about asphalt shingle blisters.

See it here.



Kenton Shepard, CMI Inspector/Instructor


Designer/Builder: House of Horrors 1&2
Author: InterNACHI Narrative Library


Last edited by kshepard; 11/29/18 at 11:39 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11/29/18, 2:59 PM
Joshua L. Frederick Joshua L. Frederick is online now
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Defiance, OH
Posts: 4,826
Send a message via AIM to jfrederick
Default Re: Would this comment go under Information, Limitations or Observations?

Definitely observation...other two wouldn't really make sense.




http://northwestohiohomeinspector.com

Defiance home inspector
Northwest Ohio home inspector
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11/29/18, 5:39 PM
Chuck Evans's Avatar
Chuck Evans Chuck Evans is online now
Certified Master Inspector ®
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Stagecoach, TX
Posts: 10,578
Default Re: Would this comment go under Information, Limitations or Observations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshepard View Post
Guys, this post was a question specifically about how to designate comments in Spectora. Thanks Roy!

To avoid drift, I posted in Roofing inspections about asphalt shingle blisters.

See it here.
Didn't intend to send the thread adrift. The implication of my comment is that it would be an observation.

From my perspective: I treat these categories as follows:
Limitations are listed to set client expectations as to things that I cannot or elect not to do. It may be due to licensing/qualifications (e.g., engineering... WDO...); access/visibility (e.g., can't see under the slab... there was no access to an attic space...); willingness to inspect (e.g., low voltage wiring, devices, components... Water treatment systems...)

Information is either generic commentary/boilerplate or factual details about the house and systems which are not condition dependent (e.g., It's a wood framed structure on a slab foundation... Heating type, fuel, make, model...)

Observations are pretty much anything that I feel is comment worthy regarding the condition of the house and its components. These may include anything from serious defects and hazards to trivial items which are worth knowing about



Chuck Evans (TREC #7657)
Level III Infraspection Institute Certified Infrared Thermographer (#8402)
HomeCert Houston Home Inspections & Thermal Inspections Find us on Facebook
The Woodlands Home Inspections
Magnolia TX Home Inspections & Thermography


Houston, TX
_______________________
Awards Committee Member

SUBMIT YOUR AWARD NOMINATIONS HERE

The InterNACHI Awards Committee is the final authority of issuance of any award the committee offers.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11/29/18, 6:02 PM
Kenton Shepard, CMI's Avatar
Kenton Shepard, CMI Kenton Shepard, CMI is online now
Certified Master Inspector
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 6,625
Send a message via ICQ to kshepard
Default Re: Would this comment go under Information, Limitations or Observations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cevans View Post
Didn't intend to send the thread adrift. The implication of my comment is that it would be an observation.

From my perspective: I treat these categories as follows:
Limitations are listed to set client expectations as to things that I cannot or elect not to do. It may be due to licensing/qualifications (e.g., engineering... WDO...); access/visibility (e.g., can't see under the slab... there was no access to an attic space...); willingness to inspect (e.g., low voltage wiring, devices, components... Water treatment systems...)

Information is either generic commentary/boilerplate or factual details about the house and systems which are not condition dependent (e.g., It's a wood framed structure on a slab foundation... Heating type, fuel, make, model...)

Observations are pretty much anything that I feel is comment worthy regarding the condition of the house and its components. These may include anything from serious defects and hazards to trivial items which are worth knowing about
Aaah, that’s what I was looking for, thank you Chuck!



Kenton Shepard, CMI Inspector/Instructor


Designer/Builder: House of Horrors 1&2
Author: InterNACHI Narrative Library

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12/1/18, 6:15 PM
Mike Hazelwood, CMI's Avatar
Mike Hazelwood, CMI Mike Hazelwood, CMI is offline
Certified Master Inspector (CMI)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bakersfield, Ca
Posts: 808
Default Re: Would this comment go under Information, Limitations or Observations?

As a Spectorian, I would say Observation or in my case "Finding". With in an observation/Finding we can slot it in 3 different categories "Minor", "Moderate" or "Safety / Major". That's how I have my template set up, others may vary.

Hope this helps




Mike Hazelwood
P.O. Box 6494
Bakersfield, California 93386
calpro@calproinspections.com
www.calproinspections.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12/5/18, 12:07 AM
Kenton Shepard, CMI's Avatar
Kenton Shepard, CMI Kenton Shepard, CMI is online now
Certified Master Inspector
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 6,625
Send a message via ICQ to kshepard
Default Re: Would this comment go under Information, Limitations or Observations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhazelwood View Post
As a Spectorian, I would say Observation or in my case "Finding". With in an observation/Finding we can slot it in 3 different categories "Minor", "Moderate" or "Safety / Major". That's how I have my template set up, others may vary.

Hope this helps
Do you mean you can change the template, Mike?



Kenton Shepard, CMI Inspector/Instructor


Designer/Builder: House of Horrors 1&2
Author: InterNACHI Narrative Library

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 3:18 PM.
no new posts