Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Spectora This is a place for Spectora customers to discuss Spectora software and services, and prospective Spectora customers to ask questions and get advice about picking home inspection software and services.

Old 4/22/18, 3:33 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Default Re: Hey Spectora.... what's it cost and what do I get?

Op Nick asks what's the cost. Why is there no straight answer?
Need a home inspection in New Hampshire? Check out InterNACHI's listing of New Hampshire certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 4/22/18, 12:35 PM

Bob, the pricing is clearly stated at their website: Modern Home Inspection Software | Spectora

Re the ongoing cost subject, I'm keenly aware of all the "little" things that eat into my profits:

-ISN fees
-Credit card processing fees
-Homebinder subscriptions
-BuildFax reports

and the BIG things
-Insurance
-Gas
-Auto maintenance
-Local Realtor board dues
-Trade association dues

etc. etc.

Each one of these expenses has to pass an ROI test:

Is it absolutely necessary? If not does it:
Save time? How much?
Make me a better inspector? Really?
Serve my clients better?

I salute Spectora for recognizing that the end user is the most important player in this game. I see a lot of products locked into an old-school look and approach that does not appear to be directed toward better service and better communication of what can be a very confusing process for the layperson, and even the real estate professional.

William Bruce Ogletree
Ogletree Inspection Services

214-287-4630
www.ogletreehi.com
ogletreehi@gmail.com

Last edited by wogletree; 4/22/18 at 12:39 PM..
Old 4/23/18, 2:10 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Hello,

I called your # and it seems you do not offer live support. I've got several questions and would prefer to speak on the phone vs. text or screen chat

I've used HG for a very long time. I'm looking for a change or possibly to supplement their software.

I have concerns about it being a cloud based software and protecting my clients personal data. I assume you do not rent, share or redistribute any of the inspectors or our clients data? Private, personal or generic?

I need a report software that is highly customizable. HG is customizable but not certain components, especially for different type inspections.

Thanks,
Ray

Providing Residential Inspections in Georgia
Providing Commercial Inspections in GA, FL, AL, SC, NC, TN, KY
Old 4/23/18, 7:47 PM
Community Guest

Please Note: critt is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjonas View Post
I've seen mention of "referral" money. What's that all about?
Hi Jeffery! I don't mind jumping in and answering that question. Like many businesses in many industries, we like to reward loyalty. If an existing customer refers a new inspector who signs up, we give them a $50 credit towards their next payment to us and a thank you for help us grow our business. Nothing underhanded, just a referral credit!
Old 4/23/18, 11:50 PM
Registered InterNACHI Vendor

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the inquiry! We do offer live support via our in-app chat, which lets us help the most amount of inspectors at once compared to a phone system. It also helps us troubleshoot issues better since we can see system specs and account data. However, we're happy to call you and have a conversation - just leave a message and we'll get back to you as soon as possible!

With Spectora, your data belongs to you. We never disseminate it to third-party services without your explicit permission or opt-in (i.e. integrations with other vendors, etc.) We're independently owned and operated, which means we work for the inspector first and foremost. We definitely take data security and privacy seriously.

We believe our web-based subscription pricing model allows us to deliver the best product our customers in a sustainable way. We don't have to rely on other means of revenue to stay in business, such as data sales or leads generation for third parties. This business model also allows us to pay our staff of talented developers, web designers and support personnel, enabling constant innovation, updates, and new features. It also maintains all the servers, multiple backups, and long-term storage, allowing you to never have to worry about a hardware crash wiping your data. Lastly, the subscription model lets you decide whether we're constantly earning your business without a huge upfront investment, which incentivizes us to keep delivering top-notch service.

We understand the subscription model isn't for everyone - that's okay. We definitely understand the different trade-offs, both from a customer perspective and from a business standpoint. Our users have definitely found great value in our products so far and we hope to continue providing that!

Thanks for giving us a look - we hope you like what you see. Let us know anything else we can answer for you!
Old 4/25/18, 12:00 PM
Community Guest

Please Note: critt is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Hey Guys!
I wanted to jump in about the referral money. Like many businesses in many industries, we offer a referral credit in exchange for current users referring a new user. It's a $50 credit towards your next payment to us. Nothing underhanded, just saying thank you for getting the word out!
Old 4/25/18, 6:28 PM
Registered InterNACHI Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjonas View Post
I've seen mention of "referral" money. What's that all about?
Hey guys! So like many businesses across many industries, we offer a credit to any existing user referring a new inspector who signs up for our software. It's a $50 credit towards the inspectors next payment to us. Nothing underhanded, we're very open about it and appreciative of inspectors helping grow our business through word of mouth. After all, don't you ask for reviews and thank people who bring you more business? This is just our way of saying thank you!
Old 8/4/18, 12:11 AM
Certified Master Inspector

Send a message via ICQ to kshepard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddagostino View Post
Yes, I use a cloud delivery system.
That system does have an annual fee. However, I can end that component anytime, and still use the inspection software without perpetual monthly fees.

Additionally, after more than 15 years with my current software, all the updates and fees I have paid pale in comparison to the staggering $14,000 Spectora would cost for the exact same timeframe, based on the current rates published on their site.

They may make fantastic software, I don't know. I do know that I hate subscription based software models, with no way to stop paying the vendor.

Dom.
I had a really bad experience with not being able to cancel an Adobe subscription from outside the USA, so bad that I swore I'd never use another Adobe product again, and it left a really bad taste in my mouth about subscriptions. Adobe got me good. But...

My experience with Kevin Wagstaff at Spectora has left me with a good impression and I have confidence in his long-term commitment to his software and its users. Enough that I'm in the process of creating a digital InterNACHI Narrative Library template for Spectora. It's a lot of work and I made my decision after giving it some serious thought.

The monthly fee works out to about a quarter of the cost of one inspection. Compare what Spectora has to offer with other inspection software, take it for a test run, and make a decision.

Software choice is a business decision, a personal decision, a number of factors weigh in on it, and I think it's a good idea to approach it with a business frame of mind; not always the easiest thing to do.

As for referral/rewards, it's a common marketing tactic. You'll find a lot of discussion about it on these boards as a tool for inspection companies, and there's nothing unusual or unethical about an inspection software company using it, although if an inspector promoting a particular software fails to disclose that he's being rewarded for his promotional efforts, that's probably going to hurt the company being promoted. That's the chance you take when you use that marketing tactic.

Kenton Shepard, CMI Inspector/Instructor

Designer/Builder: House of Horrors 1&2
Author: InterNACHI Narrative Library

Last edited by kshepard; 8/4/18 at 12:22 AM..
Old 8/14/18, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddagostino View Post
You don't seem to offer a own-it-outright option.
I hate subscription based software models.

Dom.
I agree 100%. Unfortunately it's the way all software will eventually go. Even your Windows OS will be subscription based before long. They've been planning it for quite some time. Vista was a test bed for some aspects of that system, as it had a "reduced functionality" mode that turned on if no valid license was entered. It would allow you to do a few basic things, but that's it. Goodbye are the days when you buy a new computer and it comes with a perpetual license that lasts the life of the computer. Be looking for it in the next couple of years I'd say.
I much prefer an outright purchase with the option to upgrade when I want to, not when the developer decides it's time. When I get comfortable with a piece of software, I want to stick with it, I don't care for changes being shoved down my throat on impulse and with no option to refuse. Sell me the software, let me use it, and when I'm ready, I'll upgrade, otherwise, leave me alone.
Having said that, I've been on the Spectora trial, and it's a slick bit of software. Probably well worth the recurring pound of flesh.
Old 8/15/18, 11:56 AM

LOL still no mention of price with all the yapping .Can not help but notice most of the Spectora users are still wet behind the ears and have zero to compare with .