Code Free Zone

We just found out the coolest information about Kansas & Missouri

Regarding Building Codes …

Missouri has 114 Counties and St Louis City … 13 Counties & St Louis City have building codes

Kansas has 105 Counties … 21 Counties have building codes.

AND neither state has state wide licensing of home builders, electricians, plumbers, HVAC contractors, roofers, foundation contractors, etc, etc

How do think other states stack up

1 Like

Does this really mean no codes or no local amendments and they just adopt a version of the code directly as written. Seems hard to believe otherwise :o

Code is basic minimum requirement(s). Do you reference universal (IRC, NEC, UPC, ect…) codes when referring to issues observed during inspections?

Steven …

I means in many places in our state you just build whatever you want.

In other places you get a permit for a sewer hookup, septic tank or lagoon AND thats it … GO for it.

Dave …

In KC they tell us there are about 81 municipalities or cities, etc making up the Kansas City metro area. NOT the state JUST the KC metro area.

A year ago the contractors board in KC assembled a brochure showing what codes that the largest 23 municipalities or cities here used.

8 used the 2012 IRC
6 used the 2006 IRC
5 used the 2003 IRC
3 used the 2000 IRC
1 used the 1997 UBC

So what code would the average home inspector reference?

1 Like

I reference them as a publication, but not as a code.

Yes, in some areas it really means no codes and in my town in particular - no code inspections either. The biggest safety issue we have are derelict buildings… One thing that no one who pushes for code enforcement ever thinks about is the fact that no one ever wants their home to burn down around them.

So assuming that people don’t care is just wrong. I had a go recently with one of the code publishers who claimed they made their code resources available for free to promote public safety… I’m still waiting for an answer from them as to how exactly I go about getting those free code resources.

After 15 years in government service, the truth is, you will achieve MORE compliance if you allow the private sector to adopt those rules on their own… and IF they make sense - they will be adopted, and without the threat of deadly force to get them to do so - I might add.

That said, I agree with almost all of the various building codes and their use, but unless those codes are made freely available to anyone who asks, and voluntary compliance is encouraged by a reluctance of people to purchase property where an inspection discloses violations and/or unsafe conditions, I actually oppose mandatory enforcement by government. Quite simply government enforcement doesn’t really work, and the fact that pre-sale inspections are taking place all the time is a testament to the failure of that enforcement.
Oh, and it’s not just an inspection issue either, I’ve seen way too many code violations that the government inspectors passed for whatever reason on new construction and remodel permits as well… maybe if they were held liable for their inspections that would change - so until the fox guarding the hen house is made accountable for the number of hens each night - mandatory code enforcement will never achieve it’s stated goal - much like all other government operations I might add.

Just my .02 worth

I just thought of something else… why would realtors want to restrict inspectors by regulating them, and thereby reducing the number of inspectors available to perform inspections?? Also, why would lawyers want to shift liability from realtors (and sellers) who fail to disclose unsafe conditions or known defects of properties they are selling or representing in the same scheme?? …and why would established inspectors (or training companies) jump on board to facilitate such regulation - is it to preempt competition or simply to justify increasing the training fees and licensing bureaucracy??
…anyone see a pattern here?