InterNACHI Inspection Forum

InterNACHI Inspection Forum (https://www.nachi.org/forum/)
-   General Inspection Discussion (https://www.nachi.org/forum/f11/)
-   -   Advertising (https://www.nachi.org/forum/f11/advertising-1348/)

jrobnett 2/4/06 12:29 PM

Advertising

Has anyone tried a small ad in their local newspapers classified real estate section? Or an business card ad in the thrifty nickel? If so, how did they work?

Thanks

gporter 2/4/06 9:36 PM

Re: Advertising

Everyone claims the do not work.

jpope 2/4/06 10:26 PM

Been there done that. They don't work well in my experience. . .

rray 2/5/06 4:44 AM

Nada.

dvalley 2/5/06 6:23 AM

Zilch

dgriffith 2/5/06 11:31 AM

I placed my business card in the local Thrifty Nickel. They had a eight week minimum x25.00 a week. End result, I wish I had my 200.00 back.

jmichalski 2/10/06 8:46 AM

PArt of the problem is the limited circulation of these papers. you are advertising services for people who are moving away, to people who are near you and are - by definition - leaving.

It is why I have also found limited return on yellow page ads - on top of the fact that in a large metro area there are about 20 directories to be listed in to cover a single metro area.

The Penny Pincher, etc may be better for maintenance inspections or ancillary services -like mold, radon, etc.

sbailey1 2/12/06 12:07 AM

no luck here either.

www.homewisehomeinspections.com
:) :)

tallen 2/12/06 12:16 AM

My news paper add worked almost as well as my yellow page add.

Yellow pages--- 2-4 calls (not inspections) in almost 3 years.:roll:

Seems most folks looking for HI's are looking on the web or relying on their agent to find one for them.

mlopezi 2/12/06 6:33 AM

Save your money!!

dvalley 2/12/06 6:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallen
My news paper add worked almost as well as my yellow page add.

Yellow pages--- 2-4 calls (not inspections) in almost 3 years.

Speaking of Yellow Pages. I placed three 4 X 3 ads in three local phone books last year. It cost me between $1,200.00 (and change) for one and $1,300.00 (and change) for the other two. That's a grand total of roughly $4,000.00.

I received a total of six clients through the yellow pages. I lost some big money through Verizon last year.

Yellow page ads (in my area) bring very little business. A huge waste of money. I'm happy to be able to (at least) write it off.

cpetty 2/28/06 7:41 PM

Hey david curtis petty I'm a nachi member also member ICC.I would like to link exchange?what do you say?find me at top of google at keyword(atlanta south home inspection)accurate home inspection of atlanta.

rpaul 3/2/06 6:44 PM

I personally advertised in a penny saver type. I ran it about 6 months, I got about 4 inspections from it. I spent $13.00/weekly = $1200.00.
I did a large add in verizon yellow pages. I have it in 2 cities in this area and with the online add in 5 cities. I got about 25 inspections from it. It basically added up to $9000.00.
So these types of advertizing is ok. The best for me is word of mouth and repeat business from clients. I do a lot of repeat business.
I also have a wide travel span too. I will travel where the jobs are.

My question to everyone is what is the best way to otimitize the website. I don't really like paying someone else for some thing I can do. Why should I pay someone else to make my website available to the net.

Rick

rray 3/3/06 4:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpaul
Why should I pay someone else to make my website available to the net.

There are four reasons why I pay someone else to do something that I can do:

1 - I don't like doing it (like changing the oil in the cars and motorcycle)

2 - Someone else can do it faster. Here, though, one has to put a value on one's time, both work time and personal time.

3 - Someone else can do it less expensively. Here, again, one has to put a value on one's time, both work time and personal time.

4 - I like doing it but I like doing something else better.

With that said, knowing well one's strengths and weaknesses will help one determine where one can best spend one's time. I love creating advertising and marketing materials, and I've done it for over 30 years, but that's not where I make any part of my living wages anymore. I'm a home inspector. So while it's fun to do other things sometimes, perhaps even quite often, keeping up on home inspector topics, and ensuring that my employees are also up-to-date on those topics, is more important to my living wages, and something that I enjoy doing, can do it faster and less expensively than anyone else here at HomeTeam means that I should be doing that first and, as time permits, creating marketing and advertising campaigns. Obviously, everything I do will affect my living wages either directly or indirectly, but what I choose to do directly, and what I have others do directly, if I have chosen wisely, will have the best indirect effect on those same living wages.

jmerritt1 3/3/06 7:30 AM

Russ, Well said. Most of us tend to waste to much of our time.