Surge Suppressor wiring

The panel above has a SL Waber Powermaster whole house surge suppressor installed on it. The unit appears to be wired to the top two left breakers, which makes them double tapped. I have never seen one of these before so wondering if anyone is familiar with them and how they are supposed to be wired…i’m at a loss and told the client I would do my best to investigate!

Thanks all!

Mounted outside the cabinet is a plus, however it needs it’s own double pole breaker.

OK…AND TAKE OFF THE RING IF YOU MUST PUT YOUR HAND IN THERE! sorry for the caps, I care about you losing your finger or worse.

Well said …
I agree I can tell you a few not nice stories of people I know who wished they had not worn a ring .

You have that right. My dad installed switchboards for 30+ years. As soon as he got in his truck at the yard, the ring came off and onto a chain around his neck. When he got back to the yard in the evening, the ring went back on. One little slip and zzzzzaaaappp…

These surge protectors are almost always installed with a double tap. 90% of them are wired into the main lugs. Not an issue, as this seems to be the norm and approved in new installations by AHJ in my area.

So Brad you are saying it’s not an issue the way this one is wired? I did hear that it is typically wired higher in the panel to help protect the rest of the panel?

GE breakers aren’t approved for double lugging so I am leaning toward the earlier suggestion of needing its own double pole breaker, of which there would not be enough room in this panel to put em in!

Thanks guys, and yes I’m aware of the ring! Sadly I can no longer remove it from my chubby digits after 14 years of marriage (and terrible cooking). Anybody really good with a hack saw? :slight_smile:

1 Like

“GE breakers aren’t approved for double lugging so I am leaning toward the earlier suggestion of needing its own double pole breaker, of which there would not be enough room in this panel to put em in!”

Is that an empty space above the top breaker, on both sides?

By golly John you might be right…

There you go two single breakers and both legs are protected. I find them doubled all the time, if it is doubled on a breaker I write it up, if on the SEC before the main breaker I don’t.

Homey don’t do that!

The two top breaker slots (i.e., #1, #2) pull from the same phase. Connecting the surge protector across slots 1 and 2 will result in an improper installation.

Home inspectors should generally stick to documenting defects and avoid trying to design solutions.

1 Like

OK
Don’t do that,
Recommend a qualified electrician evaluate and make proper repairs :smiley:

A lawyer can help with the removal lol just kidding.:wink:

Yes Wayne, I have heard that they do wonders! By the way have you ever heard why divorce is so expensive?

Because its’ worth it!:lol:

-Borrowed that from my neighbor!

Spoke to two electricians today and asked them about these installs. They both said that tying into the main lugs of the service panel or on a breaker was “old school” but widely accepted. The surge protectors are now mostly installed in the meter box on the bottom lugs (still double tapped).

The surge protector to me is bestek 6 outlet. I have used this tool for a long time. Since there is no damage of this tool, no damage of my equipment. So I think there is no need for me to change one. I like this tool since it’s charging protect design is much perfect. Maybe you can catch more details on bestekmall. Hope this tip is useful to you. Warm regards.

Well I am going to chime in here because I see “ALOT” of electrician said this, electrician said that…well i’m a Master Electrician and I will give my opinion.

1. If you would not accept a double tap on a standard OCPD that is not rated for such a connection, why would you accept it in this case as a “old school”, accepted installation?

2. There are 3 types of SPD’s on the market and their attachment locations are very dependent on their level of evaluation. There is also a level 4 component assemblies application as well. The one shown is more than likely a Type 2 SPD.

3. If this is a Type 2 SPD then the NEC says the following "(A) Service-Supplied Building or Structure. Type 2 SPDs shall be connected anywhere on the load side of a service disconnect overcurrent device required in 230.91, unless installed in accordance with 230.82[8].

Ask yourself this question…if you wont accept a double tap of a breaker that is not listed for such a connection, why would you consider it OK to ignore it? The makers of these devices intend for it to be on it’s own circuit breaker or in some cases permit a pigtail application to an equivalently sized wire and OCPD as directed by the manufacturer.

Please explain the simple installation instructions this manufacturer has. It was explained to me that stranded conductors double tapped into lugs rated for one conductor was ok because the chance of them becoming loose thru expansion and contraction were minimal.

http://www.deltala.com/download/MO302.pdf

That file says to attach to the service equipment , not the service entrance conductors . It leaves the connection point up to the installer.

Connecting to the lugs has a couple of issues. The lug being rated for only one conductor and then you have the torque issue. Initial torque is for a round conductor. The existing conductors have been deformed and the torque will not be the same.