An entire house with 1,000 defects built under our roof. Open and free to everyone.
The House of Horrors® is an entire house with 1,000 defects built inside the InterNACHI Headquarters building in Boulder, Colorado, and is part of The InterNACHI School. Students perform home inspections in the House of Horrors to advance their inspection knowledge and skills.
You're welcome to come to The InterNACHI School and practice performing home inspections by finding all of the defects purposely installed in the House of Horrors®, which has more defects than most inspectors will come upon in their entire home inspection career.
The House of Horrors® is open to everyone.
If you're interested in a formal training class or hands-on training session with a Certified Master Inspector®, we have that available for you. We call it a Home Inspection Training Day.
The House of Horrors® is built to intentionally include:
- improperly-wired receptacles;
- plumbing code violations;
- an electrical service full of issues;
- 16 different exterior sidings and stucco finishes;
- 31 different roofing systems;
- cutaway drywall to expose framing members;
- environmental hazards;
- various types of insulation systems;
- improper gutter and downspout systems;
- heating systems with defects;
- three different water heating systems;
- green building features;
- almost 200 different safety concerns;
- an infrared camera training wall and roofing system with manipulated water leaks and electrical issues;
- a sprinkler that simulates rain on the roof;
- safety glass;
- drainage issues;
- roof penetrations;
- notches and holes in joists;
- a full masonry chimney;
- damaged and clogged sewer lines for sewer scope training;
- common code violations;
- a full-size septic system with tanks;
- crawlspaces that students can actually enter;
- egress violations;
- clothes dryer problems;
- TPR discharge valves;
- energy loss issues;
- an exterior "deck of horrors" with dozens of issues;
- a set of stairs to access the roof and chimney;
- firewall issues;
- elderly, child, and pet safety issues;
- an improperly installed radon mitigation system;
- a full kitchen with defects;
- a full bathroom with defects; and
- a glass floor that allows students to see the structure from above and below.
Ultimate Ride Along
Come to the InterNACHI House of Horrors and inspect it. It has thousands of defects you might not see during an entire career in the home inspection business. Feel free to take a self-guided tour through the house.
One of our instructors, if available, can take you around and show you the highlights of the house systems. You're welcome to practice performing home inspections by finding all of the defects purposely installed in the House of Horrors. Spend all day here if you wish. We have a master list of the defects, so you can check the accuracy of your inspection.