Become a Home Inspector in Illinois
To become an Illinois-licensed home inspector, you must:
- successfully complete an approved pre-licensing course, including five Field Inspection Events (through InterNACHI);
- pass the Illinois Home Inspector License Exam (through the state system); and
- submit the application and fee to the state.
InterNACHI's 77-Hour On-line Pre-Licensing Course for IL Home Inspectors (# 453.000163) is:
- approved by Illinois IDFPR;
- includes 77 hours of training (online & free for members); and
- requires proof of five Field Inspection Events.
To complete InterNACHI's 77-hour training pre-licensing course, you must:
- Complete five (5) Field Inspection Events (see below);
- Take InterNACHI's free, online "How to Perform Exterior Inspections" course at https://www.nachi.org/exteriorcourse.htm (16 hours);
- Take InterNACHI's free, online "How to Inspect the Attic, Insulation, Ventilation, and Interior" course at https://www.nachi.org/interiorcourse.htm (14 hours);
- Take InterNACHI's free, online "How to Perform Roof Inspections" course at https://www.nachi.org/roofingcoursereleased2005.htm (4 hours);
- Take InterNACHI's free, online "Residential Plumbing Overview for Inspectors" course at https://www.nachi.org/plumbingcoursereleased2008.htm (8 hours);
- Take InterNACHI's free, online "How to Perform Residential Electrical Inspections" course at https://www.nachi.org/electricalcoursereleased2006.htm (4 hours);
- Take InterNACHI's free, online "How to Inspect HVAC Systems" course at https://www.nachi.org/hvaccourse.htm (12 hours);
- Take InterNACHI's free, online "Structural Issues for Home Inspectors" course at https://www.nachi.org/structuralcoursereleased2007.htm (4 hours);
- Take InterNACHI's free, online "How to Inspect Fireplaces, Stoves, and Chimneys" course at https://www.nachi.org/inspect-fireplace-stove-chimney-course.htm (4 hours);
- Take InterNACHI's free, online "Appliance Inspection for Home Inspectors" course at https://www.nachi.org/appliance-inspection-course.htm (8 hours); and
- Take InterNACHI's free, online "Illinois Standards of Practice and Legal Issues for Home Inspectors" course at https://www.nachi.org/illinois-standards-practice-legal-business-human-rights-contract-online-course.htm (3 hours).
Field Inspection Events and Inspectors:
"Field Inspection Event" means an examination and evaluation of the exterior and interior components of an actual residential real property conducted by a candidate for a home inspection license under the supervision of a licensed home inspector with at least 5 years experience.
Our current list of Illinois-licensed home inspectors qualified to supervise the 5 Field Inspection Events:
- Daniel Cullen. License # 450.000570. (312) 488-1461. Chicago.
- William Decker. License # 450.0002240. (847) 676-8393. Skokie.
- Jeff Merritt. License # 450.000756. (773) 457-4542. Chicago.
- Tom Maloney. License # 450.000113. (217) 839-3375. Gillespie.
- Michael Spaargaren. License # 450.000653. (773) 429-9711. Chicago.
- Justin Castronova. License # 450.003085. 773-429-9711. Chicago.
You may contact the inspectors (above), or you may visit www.inspectorseek.com
and find an Illinois-licensed home inspector to provide the five (5) field inspection events for you. The 5 Field Inspection Events are required as part of your application process for the state. The instructor inspectors may have additional requirements or fees for the training and supervision, so be sure to ask.
Send Data to InterNACHI:
License applicants must have their supervising home inspector submit to Moranda Evans at email@example.com
the "5 Field Inspection Events" form
. This step is critical. Without sending proof of your 5 Field Inspection Events to InterNACHI, we can not confirm your licensing data with the state.
Final Certificate of Completion & Transcript:
After completing all of the courses (above) and your five field inspections, go to your members-only account and click on the "Pre-Licensing" tool to download your final certificate of completion.
Email Moranda Evans at firstname.lastname@example.org
a final transcript to include with your certificate and licensing application to the state.
InterNACHI Provider # 452.000145
InterNACHI Online Pre-Licensing Course for IL Home Inspectors, Course # 453.000163
Illinois Home Inspector Resource:
Frequently Asked Questions: