"Green Building Inspection" course
Welcome to InterNACHI's free, online Green Building Inspection course.
This course is designed to educate inspectors about what green building is, why itís important, and how to recognize green systems and features in homes. It addresses the three main aspects of green building: energy-efficiency, sustainable materials and practices, and healthy homes. This course, developed by InterNACHI's Kenton Shepard, prepares inspectors to meet a growing demand for neutral third-party verification of green features and systems in buildings. It includes a review of solar systems, environmental issues, and energy audits.
And, in keeping with InterNACHI's commitment to Continuing Education, this course is free and open to all members, and can be taken again and again, without limit.
Reminder to members: InterNACHI's Code of Ethics
1.10 requires that you comply with all government rules and licensing requirements of the jurisdiction where you conduct business. InterNACHI's courses and Standards generally exceed the Standards of Practice that you are required to abide by locally.
This course has been approved by:
The Green Building Inspection course includes:
- 8 Continuing Education credit hours;
- many photos and diagrams;
- 45 quizzes;
- 100-question final exam (drawn from a larger pool);
- instant grading;
- a downloadable, printable Certificate of Completion; and
- accreditations and state approvals.
The course covers the following categories:
- Report on Energy Status
- Non-Renewable Energy Sources
- Renewable Energy Sources
- Climate Change
- Natural Causes of Climate Change
- Possible Results of Climate Change
- Groundwater Depletion
- Water Quality
- Home Water Treatment
- Indoor Water Conservation
- Outdoor Water Conservation
- Lot Development
- Grading and Landscaping
- Building Methods
- Engineered Lumber
- Value Engineering
- Enhanced-Efficiency Building Systems
- Strawbale Homes
- Building Envelope
- Climate Zones
- Conduction, Convection and Radiation
- Air Movement in Buildings
- Attic Ventilation
- Moisture Control
- Passive Solar Home Design
- Energy-Efficient Windows
- Photovoltaic (PV) Systems
- Solar Thermal (solar water heating)
- Lighting: Bulb and Fixture Types
- Daylighting and Controls
- Plumbing Pipes
- Hydronic Heating
- Hot Water Recirculation Systems
- Air Conditioners
- Air Ducts
- Evaporative Coolers
- Heat Pumps
- Wood-Burning Appliances
- Wood Stoves
- Roof Defects
- Green Roofs
- Indoor Environmental Hazards
- Sustainable Practices and Materials
- Standards and Certification
- Energy Programs and Legislation
- Renewable Energy/Energy-Efficiency Incentives
- Home Energy Audits
- Home Energy Ratings
- Energy Codes
- Green Building Standards
- Energy Program Comparisons
- Green Mortgages
Upon completion of this course and passing of the 100-question final exam (drawn from a larger pool), the student can download and print their own Certificate of Completion which is auto-generated in their own name.
The student's (InterNACHI member's) information is recorded on InterNACHI's servers for membership compliance verification, and automatically logs completion into InterNACHI's online Continuing Education log. It counts as eight InterNACHI Continuing Education
InterNACHI... #1 in inspection education.
Some features which make InterNACHI's courses superior to existing continuing education options:
- The course is free for all InterNACHI members.
- The course is written in pure XHTML code for quick loading. The course loads fine on old computers and loads fast, even with dial-up.
- The course is designed using a hierarchal menu coupled with a sequential page navigation. This provides the student with the option to easily repeat areas of weakness.
- The course permits the student to start, stop and restart any part of the course as often as desired.
- There are a variety of images within the course, including diagrams, illustrations and photos.
- The illustrations can be enlarged for clearer viewing by clicking on them.
- The text is integrated into InterNACHI's Inspector Glossary. Rolling over blue-colored terms provides their definition.
- The final exam uses multiple-choice questions that reference the images.
- The course's quizzes and final exam have numerous advantages over traditional exam systems:
- The course, quizzes and final exam incorporate built-in intelligence which identifies and strengthens each student's unique subject weaknesses.
- Not only is each question weighted with regard to score, but each answer is weighted, as well as the correctness of each answer being weighted.
- Answers to easy questions are weighted such that the student is penalized, in terms of score, for answering incorrectly, but rewarded modestly for answering correctly.
- Answers to difficult questions are weighted such that the student is rewarded, in terms of score, for answering correctly, but not penalized for answering incorrectly.
- Answers to questions regarding basic safety, or questions every inspector should know the answer to, are weighted such that the student is severely penalized, in terms of score, for answering incorrectly.
- Upon passing the final exam, the student can print out a Certificate of Completion which is auto-generated in their own name.
The student's (InterNACHI member's) information is recorded on InterNACHI's servers for membership compliance verification, and automatically logs completion into InterNACHI's online Continuing Education log.