"Building Science & Infrared Thermal Imaging for Home Inspectors" video course
Welcome to InterNACHI's free online Building Science & Infrared Thermal Imaging for Inspectors video course.
The goal of this online video training course is to teach home and commercial building inspectors the principles of building science and the application of thermal imaging with infrared camera technology.
In keeping with InterNACHI's commitment to Continuing Education, this course is open and free to all members, and can be taken again and again, without limit.
Reminder to members: InterNACHI's Code of Ethics 1.10 requires that you comply with all government rules and licensing requirements of the jurisdiction where you conduct business. InterNACHI's courses and Standards generally exceed the Standards of Practice that you are required to abide by locally.
This course has been approved by:
- the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors;
- the Master Inspector Certification Board;
- the International Association of Certified Indoor Air Consultants; and
The course includes:
- 5-hour video;
- 178-page student course book (downloaded PDF);
- 50-question final exam (instantly graded);
- Certificate of completion; and
- accreditations and approvals
- Will Decker from Decker Home Inspections, InterNACHI member. Qualifications PDF.
In the classroom, topics include:
- building science;
- thermodynamics, hydrodynamics, and fluidics;
- architecture, engineering, and construction practices;
- building maintenance;
- energy efficiency;
- heat, air, and moisture effects;
- the building envelope;
- wind, rain, and sun factors;
- heating, cooling, humidity, and moisture;
- climate zones and building practices;
- heat loss, stack effect, and air leaks;
- the hygric buffer and vapor barriers;
- moisture, wind, and heat;
- and more.
On-location at two residential buildings, the instructor:
- uses an infrared camera and a moisture meter; and
- teaches the principles of building science; and
- applies of thermal imaging.
Upon completion of this course and passing of the 50-question final exam (drawn from a larger pool), the student can download and print their own Certificate of Completion which is auto-generated in their own name.
The student's (InterNACHI member's) information is recorded on InterNACHI's servers for membership compliance verification, and automatically logs completion into InterNACHI's online Continuing Education log. It counts as five InterNACHI Continuing Education hours.
Non-members may view only the first page of the course.
Members will need their username and password. If you have forgotten your password, CLICK HERE (instant response) or email email@example.com and request it (don't forget your name).
InterNACHI... #1 in inspection education.
Some features which make InterNACHI's courses superior to existing continuing education options:
- The course is free for all InterNACHI members.
- The course is written in pure XHTML code for quick loading. The course loads fine on old computers and loads fast, even with dial-up.
- The course is designed using a hierarchal menu coupled with a sequential page navigation. This provides the student with the option to easily repeat areas of weakness.
- The course permits the student to start, stop and restart any part of the course as often as desired.
- There are a variety of images within the course, including diagrams, illustrations and photos.
- The illustrations can be enlarged for clearer viewing by clicking on them.
- The text is integrated into InterNACHI's Inspector Glossary. Rolling over blue-colored terms provides their definition.
- The final exam uses multiple-choice questions that reference the images.
- The course's quizzes and final exam have numerous advantages over traditional exam systems:
- The course, quizzes and final exam incorporate built-in intelligence which identifies and strengthens each student's unique subject weaknesses.
- Not only is each question weighted with regard to
score, but each answer is weighted, as well as the correctness of each
answer being weighted.
- Answers to easy questions are weighted such that the student is penalized, in terms of score, for answering incorrectly, but rewarded modestly for answering correctly.
- Answers to difficult questions are weighted such that the student is rewarded, in terms of score, for answering correctly, but not penalized for answering incorrectly.
- Answers to questions regarding basic safety, or questions every inspector should know the answer to, are weighted such that the student is severely penalized, in terms of score, for answering incorrectly.
- Upon passing the final exam, the student can print out a Certificate of Completion which is auto-generated in their own name.
The student's (InterNACHI member's) information is recorded on InterNACHI's servers for membership compliance verification, and automatically logs completion into InterNACHI's online Continuing Education log.
InterNACHI... #1 in inspection education.