"Inspecting the Means of Egress Course"
to InterNACHI's free, online Inspecting the Means of Egress Course.
The goal of this course is to teach the student to perform accurate inspections of the means of egress in a home.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- inspect the means of egress in a residential property, including stairways, ramps, exterior egress balconies, hallways, doors, and emergency escape and rescue openings;
- identify defects and safety hazards in relation to modern standards and requirements; and
- write narratives for an inspection report related to the means of egress.
The course includes text from modern building standards including some Canadian text. The guest instructors will apply those standards to a mock-up stairway an
d ramp in a studio setting. The instructor will then perform an inspection at an existing residential home.
keeping with InterNACHI's commitment to Continuing Education, this course is
open and free to all members, and can be taken again and again, without limit.
Reminder to members: InterNACHI's Code of Ethics
1.10 requires that you comply with all government rules and
licensing requirements of the jurisdiction where you conduct
business. InterNACHI's courses and Standards generally exceed the
Standards of Practice that you are required to abide by locally.
This course has been approved by:
Inspecting the Means of Egress Course includes:
- 4 CE credit hours;
- over 30 photos and illustrations;
- 75-minute online training video;
- 8,000-word, 28-page downloadable, printable student book (PDF);
- 58-question final exam (drawn from a larger pool);
- instant grading;
- a downloadable, printable Certificate of Completion; and
- accreditations and state approvals.
This course covers the following topics:
- egress doors
- the stairway width
- the risers and treads
- the nosing or leading edge
- the guards
- the spheres
- the handgrip
- above and below
- the landings
- emergency escape and rescue openings
- the opening
- the window well
- sample reporting language
- slide show
Upon completion of this course and passing of
the 58-question final exam (drawn from a larger pool), the student can
download and print their own Certificate of Completion
which is auto-generated in their own name.
The student's (InterNACHI member's) information is recorded on
InterNACHI's servers for membership compliance verification, and
automatically logs completion into InterNACHI's online Continuing
Education log. It counts as four InterNACHI Continuing Education
Non-members may view only the first page of the course.
InterNACHI... #1 in inspection education.
Some features which make InterNACHI's courses superior to existing continuing education options:
- The course is free for all InterNACHI members.
- The course is written in pure XHTML code for quick
loading. The course loads fine on old computers and loads fast, even
- The course is designed using a hierarchal menu
coupled with a sequential page navigation. This provides the student
with the option to easily repeat areas of weakness.
- The course permits the student to start, stop and restart any part of the course as often as desired.
- There are a variety of images within the course, including diagrams, illustrations and photos.
- The illustrations can be enlarged for clearer viewing by clicking on them.
- The text is integrated into InterNACHI's Inspector Glossary. Rolling over blue-colored terms provides their definition.
- The final exam uses multiple-choice questions that reference the images.
- The course's quizzes and final exam have numerous advantages over traditional exam systems:
- The course, quizzes and final exam incorporate
built-in intelligence which identifies and strengthens each student's
unique subject weaknesses.
- Not only is each question weighted with regard to
score, but each answer is weighted, as well as the correctness of each
answer being weighted.
- Answers to easy questions are weighted such that the
student is penalized, in terms of score, for answering incorrectly, but
rewarded modestly for answering correctly.
- Answers to difficult questions are weighted such that
the student is rewarded, in terms of score, for answering correctly,
but not penalized for answering incorrectly.
- Answers to questions regarding basic safety, or
questions every inspector should know the answer to, are weighted such
that the student is severely penalized, in terms of score, for answering
- Upon passing the final exam, the student can print out a Certificate of Completion which is auto-generated in their own name.
The student's (InterNACHI member's) information is
recorded on InterNACHI's servers for membership compliance verification,
and automatically logs completion into InterNACHI's online Continuing