"How to Inspect Pools and Spas" course
Welcome to InterNACHI's free, online How to Inspect Pools and Spas course. Become an InterNACHI-Certified Pool & Spa Inspector.
This course is the largest, most in-depth pool and spa inspection course of its kind.
The goal of this course is to teach home inspectors how to inspect pools and spas.
The objectives of the course are that upon successful completion of this course, the student shall be able to:
- provide accurate and useful information pertaining to pools and spas for their client;
- describe how pools and spas work;
- inspect circulation, heating and filtering systems and components;
- inspect electrical components;
- explain the water chemistry;
- identify safety issues;
- list common maintenance recommendations; and
- follow an inspection procedural checklist.
The primary focus of the training is on the water and the parts of the pools and spas that move or change it.
An inspection procedural checklist and maintenance schedule is provided within the course.
And, in keeping with InterNACHI's commitment to Continuing Education, this pool and spa inspection course is open and free to all members, and can be taken again and again, without limit.
Reminder to members: InterNACHI's Code of Ethics
1.10 requires that you comply with all government rules and licensing requirements of the jurisdiction where you conduct business. InterNACHI's courses and Standards generally exceed the Standards of Practice that you are required to abide by locally.
This course has been approved by:
The How to Inspect Pools and Spas course includes:
- 8 CE hours;
- 19 sections;
- 27,000 words;
- 60 illustrations and diagrams;
- 12 quizzes;
- a 75-question final exam (drawn from a larger pool);
- instant grading;
- a downloadable, printable Certificate of Completion; and
- accreditations and state approvals.
The course covers the following categories:
- Safety First
- The Basics
- How Big is It?
- Square or Rectangular
- Parts Per Million
- Types of Pools and Spas
- Construction Process
- Follow the Path of the Water
- More Drains
- Rubber Fittings
- Return Inlets
- Water Levels
- 3-Port Valves
- Shutoff Valves
- Check Valves
- Solar Heating Systems
- Pumps and Motors
- Turnover Rate
- Inspection Tips
- Dry-Niche Luminaire
- Forming Shells
- No-Niche Luminaires
- Underwater Luminaires
- Wet-Niche Luminaires
- Luminaire Location
- Flexible Cords
- GFCI Protection Required
- Spa or Hot Tub GFCI
- Receptacles for Indoor Spas and Hot Tubs
- Panel Fans and Luminaires Overhead
- Overhead Conductor Clearances
- Underground Wiring
- Grounding and Bonding
- Permanently Installed Radiant Heaters
- Sand and Gravel Filters
- Diatomaceous Earth (DE) Filters
- Pressure Gauge
- Air Relief
- Backwash Valve
- Backwash Water
- Backwash Sight Glass
- Pool Heaters
- Ignition Types
- Standing Pilot
- Intermittent Pilot
- Mercury Flame Sensor
- Gas Pressure Regulator
- Firemanís Switch
- Gas Valves
- Vent Connections
- Flue Pipe
- Flue Details
- Draft Hood
- Size of the Pool Heater
- Other Components and Devices
- Time Clocks
- Twist Timers
- Electronic Timers
- Remote Controls
- Air Blowers
- Diving Boards
- Automatic Pool Cleaners
- Pool Covers
- Safety Barriers
- Indoor Swimming Pool
- Barrier Locations
- Water Chemistry
- pH Adjustment
- Controlling pH
- Increasing pH
- Lowering pH
- Total Alkalinity
- Calcium Hardness
- Scum Line
- Total Dissolved Solids
- Non-Chlorine Shock Treatments
- Repairs Needed
- Commercial Pools
- Inspection Tips
- Pool/Spa Inspection Checklist
- Maintenance Schedule
Upon completion of this course and passing of the 75-question final exam (drawn from a larger pool), the student can download and print their own Certificate of Completion, which is auto-generated in their own name.
The student's (InterNACHI member's) information is recorded on InterNACHI's servers for membership compliance verification, and automatically logs completion into InterNACHI's online Continuing Education log. It counts as eight InterNACHI Continuing Education
Non-members may view only the first page of the course.
InterNACHI... #1 in inspection education.
Some features which make InterNACHI's courses superior to existing continuing education options:
- The course is free for all InterNACHI members.
- The course is written in pure XHTML code for quick loading. The course loads fine on old computers and loads fast, even with dial-up.
- The course is designed using a hierarchal menu coupled with a sequential page navigation. This provides the student with the option to easily repeat areas of weakness.
- The course permits the student to start, stop and restart any part of the course as often as desired.
- There are a variety of images within the course, including diagrams, illustrations and photos.
- The illustrations can be enlarged for clearer viewing by clicking on them.
- The text is integrated into InterNACHI's Inspector Glossary. Rolling over blue-colored terms provides their definition.
- The final exam uses multiple-choice questions that reference the images.
- The course's quizzes and final exam have numerous advantages over traditional exam systems:
- The course, quizzes and final exam incorporate built-in intelligence which identifies and strengthens each student's unique subject weaknesses.
- Not only is each question weighted with regard to score, but each answer is weighted, as well as the correctness of each answer being weighted.
- Answers to easy questions are weighted such that the student is penalized, in terms of score, for answering incorrectly, but rewarded modestly for answering correctly.
- Answers to difficult questions are weighted such that the student is rewarded, in terms of score, for answering correctly, but not penalized for answering incorrectly.
- Answers to questions regarding basic safety, or questions every inspector should know the answer to, are weighted such that the student is severely penalized, in terms of score, for answering incorrectly.
- Upon passing the final exam, the student can print out a Certificate of Completion which is auto-generated in their own name.
The student's (InterNACHI member's) information is recorded on InterNACHI's servers for membership compliance verification, and automatically logs completion into InterNACHI's online Continuing Education log.