"How to Perform Roof Inspections" course
Welcome to InterNACHI's free, online How to Perform Roof Inspections course. Developed by InterNACHI Education Committee's Gerry Beaumont, this new course revolutionized the home inspection industry when it was released in 2005.
The goal of this course is to teach inspectors how to inspect the roof system and components of a home.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- inspect all different types of residential roofs;
- identify the systems and components of roof systems;
- understand how the components of a roof system function and perform;
- describe to clients defects observed at the roof system.
And, in keeping with InterNACHI's commitment to Continuing Education, this roofing course is open and free to all members, and can be taken again and again, without limit.
Reminder to members: InterNACHI's Code of Ethics
1.10 requires that you comply with all government rules and
licensing requirements of the jurisdiction where you conduct
business. InterNACHI's courses and Standards generally exceed the
Standards of Practice that you are required to abide by locally.
This course has been approved by:
The Roof Inspection course includes:
- 4 CE credit hours;
- 21,873 words
- 77 minutes of video;
- many photos and diagrams;
- online writing essay assignment;
- inspection report writing assignment;
- required additional reading;
- 100 quiz questions in 8 quizzes;
- a 75-question final exam (drawn from a larger pool);
- instant grading;
- a downloadable, printable Certificate of Completion; and
- accreditations and state approvals.
The course covers the following categories:
- Introduction to Roofs
- Common Roof Terms
- General Roof Terms
- Roof Styles and Details
- Common Roof Issues
- Gutters and Drainage
- Roof Drainage and Gutters
- Downspout Terminations
- Framing and Trim
- Roof Framing From Outside
- Roofing Trim
- Roof Coverings
- Asphalt Shingles I
- Asphalt Shingles II
- Slate Tile Roofing
- Clay and Concrete Tile
- Asbestos Cement Tiles
- Wood Shingle and Shake I
- Wood Shingle and Shake II
- Flat Roofs: Roll Roofing
- Flat Roofs: Built-up
- Flat Roofs: Membranes
- Metal Roofing
- Roofing Oddities
- Roof Flashings
- Edge and Ridge Flashings
- Valley Flashings
- Roof-to-Roof Flashings
- Roof-to-Wall Flashings
- Chimney Flashings
- Vents and Other Penetrations
- Roof Ventilation
- Basic Ventilation
- Inspecting Chimneys
- Masonry Chimneys
- Manufactured Chimneys
Upon completion of this course and passing of the 75-question final exam (drawn from a larger pool), the student can download and print their own Certificate of Completion which is auto-generated in their own name.
The student's (InterNACHI member's) information is recorded on InterNACHI's servers for membership compliance verification, and automatically logs completion into InterNACHI's online Continuing Education log. It counts as four InterNACHI Continuing Education
InterNACHI... #1 in inspection education.
Some features which make InterNACHI's courses superior to existing continuing education options:
- The course is free for all InterNACHI members.
- The course is written in pure XHTML code for quick loading. The course loads fine on old computers and loads fast, even with dial-up.
- The course is designed using a hierarchal menu coupled with a sequential page navigation. This provides the student with the option to easily repeat areas of weakness.
- The course permits the student to start, stop and restart any part of the course as often as desired.
- There are a variety of images within the course, including diagrams, illustrations and pictures of actual roofs.
- The illustrations can be enlarged for clearer viewing by clicking on them.
- The text is integrated into InterNACHI's Inspector Glossary. Rolling over blue-colored terms provides their definition.
- The final exam uses multiple-choice questions that reference the images.
- The course's quizzes and final exam have numerous advantages over traditional exam systems:
- The course, quizzes and final exam incorporate built-in intelligence which identifies and strengthens each student's unique subject weaknesses.
- Not only is each question weighted with regard to score, but each answer is weighted, as well as the correctness of each answer being weighted.
- Answers to easy questions are weighted such that the student is penalized, in terms of score, for answering incorrectly, but rewarded modestly for answering correctly.
- Answers to difficult questions are weighted such that the student is rewarded, in terms of score, for answering correctly, but not penalized for answering incorrectly.
- Answers to questions regarding basic safety, or questions every inspector should know the answer to, are weighted such that the student is severely penalized, in terms of score, for answering incorrectly.
- Upon passing the final exam, the student can print out a Certificate of Completion which is auto- generated in their own name.
The student's (InterNACHI member's) information is recorded on InterNACHI's servers for membership compliance verification, and automatically logs completion into InterNACHI's online Continuing Education log.
"Gerry really poured his heart into this project, and the end result is a high quality course -- a perfect example of InterNACHI members helping InterNACHI members. Gerry's dedication to this roofing course and InterNACHI education is greatly appreciated," said InterNACHI's Joe Farsetta.
"The built-in intelligence behind this course combined with all the images creates a one-on-one, hands-on level of training that is as good as walking with Gerry on an actual roof. Two thumbs up, Gerry!" said InterNACHI's Nick Gromicko.
InterNACHI, the inspection industry's leader in continuing education, is very proud to offer this comprehensive roofing course to all InterNACHI members. The course platform, developed by InterNACH's IT Director Chris Morrell, is currently being used in all other inspection courses.