Welcome to InterNACHI's free, online 2021 International Residential Code® (IRC®) Exam Study Course. This course is open to InterNACHI® members, building code inspectors, and contractors.Take the free, online course now.
ICC-Approved for 6.3 CEU
This course will help the student understand the 2021 International Residential Code® (IRC®) in preparation for taking the ICC Residential Building Inspector B1 Exam. It is based upon the 2021 International Residential Code® (IRC®) Study Companion, a study guide through the requirements of the 2021 International Residential Code® for One- and Two-Family Dwellings. The course covers building, mechanical, plumbing, fuel gas, and electrical provisions with an emphasis on the building planning requirements of Chapter 3 and the floor, wall, ceiling, and roof framing provisions.
The course's 18 study sessions provide practical learning assignments and contain specific learning objectives, applicable code text, and commentary from the presenter. The 2021 International Residential Code® (IRC®) Study Companion is a practical requirement for enrolling and completing this course because the student is required to continually reference the textbook throughout the course.
The goal of this course is to teach the student the 2021 International Residential Code® (IRC®).
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to understand:
- the administrative provisions of the International Residential Code® (IRC®);
- the design criteria to be used in the application of the prescriptive provisions of the code;
- the health and safety criteria of the code;
- the fire and life safety criteria of the code;
- the requirements relating to foundation systems;
- the provisions regulating floor construction;
- the requirements dealing with wall construction and wall
the requirements for ceiling construction, roof construction, and roof coverings;
the provisions for chimneys and fireplaces;
the general provisions for the installation of mechanical appliances, equipment, and systems;
the general provisions for the installation of exhaust systems, duct systems, and special fuel-burning equipment;
the general provisions for combustion air, chimneys, vents, boilers, water heaters, hydronic piping, special piping and storage systems, and solar systems;
the general provisions for fuel gas piping systems;
the general requirements for the installation of plumbing systems;
the general provisions for the installation of water heaters, the supply and distribution of water, and the materials, design, construction, and installation of sanitary drainage systems;
the installation requirements for piping, tubing, and fittings for vent systems; vent sizes and connections; fixture traps; and storm drainage;
the general requirements for electrical systems, equipment, and components; and
the provisions regulating wiring methods, power and lighting distribution, devices and lighting fixtures, appliance installation, and swimming pools.
This online course is free to all InterNACHI® members and can be taken again and again, without limit.
65 InterNACHI® CE credit hours;
17 hours of instructional video with closed captioning;
- 18 2-hour writing assignments;
- no quizzes or final exam;
a downloadable, printable Certificate of Completion.
This course covers the following topics:
- Chapters 1 and 44
- Chapter R301-R302, Building Planning I
- Chapter R303-R310, Building Planning II
- Chapter R311-R323, Building Planning III
- Chapter 4, Foundations
- Chapter 5, Floors
- Chapters 6 and 7, Wall Construction & Covering
- Chapters 8 and 9, Roof/Ceiling Construction & Roof Assemblies
- Chapters 10 and 11, Chimneys/Fireplaces & Energy Efficiency
- Chapters 13 and 14, General Mechanical System & Heating/Cooling
- Chapters 15, 16, and 19, Exhaust/Duct Systems & Special Fuel-Burning Equipment
- Chapters 17, 18, 20, 21, 22, and 23, Combustion, Chimneys, Boilers, and More
- Chapter 24, Fuel Gas
- Chapters 25, 26, and 27, General Plumbing Requirements & Fixtures
- Chapters 28, 29, and 30, Water Heaters, Water Supply, & Drainage
- Chapters 31, 32, and 33, Vents, Traps, & Storm Drainage
- Chapters 34, 35, 36, and 37, Electrical Requirements, Definitions, Services, Branch, Feeder
- Chapters 38, 39, 40, 41, and 42, Lighting, Devices, Fixtures, Appliances, Swimming Pools
|2021 International Residential Code® (IRC®) Exam Study Course|
Estimated Clock Hours for the Average Student
|Reading the required textbook at 140 words per minute. (100,000/140/60=11.9)||11.9|
|Watching 1,003 minutes of inspection training video.||17|
|Studying and preparing for a writing assignment and submitting that assignment. (18 assignments x 2 hours each = 36 hours)||36|
|Total (28.9 + 36 = 64.9)|
|65.0 Clock Hours|
65.0 InterNACHI CE Credit Hours
Reminder to members: InterNACHI's Code of Ethics
1.10 requires that you comply with all government rules and licensing requirements of the jurisdiction where you conduct business. InterNACHI's courses and Standards generally exceed the Standards of Practice that you are required to abide by locally.
This course has been approved by:
Upon completion of this course, the student can download and print their own Certificate of Completion
, which is auto-generated in their own name.
Take the free, online course now.